What is the right shell and choke?????

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

What is the right shell and choke?????

Postby NewBeeDuckHunter » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:46 am

Hey all I am new to the world of duck hunting, I just started because I have recently got the right to hunt some land with a nice creek on it. But we have been haveing troble finding the right combo of choke/Shellsize /how many IN shells. The creek is banked on ether side by 10 foot mounds to protcet the crops from floads. The way we have been hunting them is the 3 of us spread out in front of one side of the bank in a line of about 100 yards then slow creep over the hill and spooke the brids. We have yet to bring down any brids and I am thinking it may be because we arnt hitning any vital areas because the are flying away from us. We get the frist shot of at about 30 yards. I dont want to be wounding any brids so any help would be greatly appriated.
NewBeeDuckHunter
Newb

Postby dldavis3 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:52 am

First I would say try to get closer. Try coming down inside of the creek. As far as choke and shell I think a Mod would be fine and try using a smaller shell like a 3 or 4. It will be kind of like throwing a net around the duck. Good Luck
dldavis3
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:23 am

How ould wading the creek work? I'll bet you could be closer than a hundred feet as long as you move slowly and quietly. Not sure of this since I do not =know the creek's layout, but idf there are corners and brush you should be able to get close.

With steel, MY advice, is to use improved cylinder or modified for a 'regular' factory choke tube. Some aftermarket or some factory are for steel so you may consider them, but not on the same plane. As for shot size, on mallards and other big puddlers I would suggest 2's. For woodies and teal, 4's.

I do not pattern my guns, but would suggest you toss a couple rounds at some paper to see what load works best.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckDude88 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:42 am

New Hunter,

I hunt the same way you hunt except w/out the big mounds. i dont know aboubt getting in the creek but i love to sneek up on some woodys on the creek. :twisted: I use #2 steel shot 2 3/4" and that works fine for me.
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:30 am

The reason you are missing is probably because the birds are rising and you arnt leading high enough. I have a poly choke on my Winchester 1200 and I use 3 inch Expert Hi Velocity #3 for ducks and BB for geese.
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby hunter18372 » Sat May 15, 2004 7:28 pm

The only way to find what's good for your gun is too spend some time at the patterning board to see what choke shell combination works best in your gun.
You and you friends can chip in and everybody can get to see what works and what doesn't.
hunter18372
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:58 am

if you are shooting at 30yrds w/#2s and nothing happens then you are not hitting them! See if you can grt permission to flood a small part of the crop lands after harvest and you will have more shooting than you can believe if not try some binos from a distance so you know rxactly where the ducks are in the creek and stalk right to that spot. you'll be closer than 30 yrds I'll bet. dont shoot all the hens.
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes