mec super sizer vs size master

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

mec super sizer vs size master

Postby goose_gunner » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 am

so im getting a 10ga mec press and i was thinking a about just a plan 600jr but i have heard that some times they dont resize the brass base vary well so then you need a super sizer so i was thinking about just getting the size master so i want to hear what the pros or cons of each set up thanks for any input
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Re: mec super sizer vs size master

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:45 am

I have been using a 600 jr for years to load my 10 bores. No problem in resizing shells. The only thing I use the loader for is to resize and de prime hulls and finish crimping. Using "Steel" powder i could not get a consistant drop so I load them like a rifle bullet. Big Shot is the same way, it will get stuck in the drop tube.
Attachments
001 (2).JPG
2012 Hulls
009.JPG
Shot count using a primer tray
002.JPG
Powder Measurement
War Wagon
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 am

If your chamber is not on the tight side of tolerances, the MEC600Jr ought to size them sufficiently. The sizing ring will gradually thin the brass platting making the shell more prone to rusting, but if that's an issue, maybe the Supersizer can be purchased later. I load on a 10ga. 600Jr. and use a Supersizer for sizing the cases. It's linkage is stronger than the Steelmaster linkage, though they work the same way in sizing cases.
tripleb
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

How many loads do you get out a hull ? For me after 4 loads they get crispy
War Wagon
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I would buy the 600 jr AND a SuperSizer. The added benefit is that you can use the superizer to hold your hulls when you are roll crimping. That is if you are ever thinking of that.

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 am

War Wagon wrote:How many loads do you get out a hull ? For me after 4 loads they get crispy

I will usually get at least 4 loads out of a case ... but I have the T6 cases with the heavy walls ...... and about 350 unfired ones. Once their crimps get too bad, I cut them down to 3" and load them as 1 3/8 oz. lead shells for crows and practice. I can usually get 3 or 4 more loads out of them that way.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm

War Wagon wrote:I have been using a 600 jr for years to load my 10 bores. No problem in resizing shells. The only thing I use the loader for is to resize and de prime hulls and finish crimping. Using "Steel" powder i could not get a consistant drop so I load them like a rifle bullet. Big Shot is the same way, it will get stuck in the drop tube.

War Wagon what are those trays you put shot in called.
Thanks
Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 am

That is a pistol/rifle primer tray with the extra holes taped off. This is a very popular and exact count method for larger shot sizes.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:16 am

ouzhenyang is in my foes list
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 am

I have owned a 10ga Sizemaster and also have a 600 that I use a Supersizer with it. I had trouble keeping the collet sizer on the Sizemaster adjusted. I just am used to using the 600 along with the Supersizer and prefer it to using the Sizemaster. So I sold the 10ga Sizemaster press. If I had to start over from scratch, I could pick up another used 600 and a Supersizer to go with it.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:47 pm

I agree with you on that one Chris, its a lot more versatile set up.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes