Maxus factory Chokes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Maxus factory Chokes

Postby DWG7 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

I recently Purchased a Browning Maxus. In reading the manual they suggest using a more open choke for steel shot, Instead of Mod go with IMP Cly. I always shot Mod in my 11-87 Yes I will Pattern when weather gets warmer but anyone with Maxus? How did yours shoot with different chokes . Anyone with After market chokes? worth it Thanx DwG
DWG7
hunter

Re: Maxus factory Chokes

Postby richyrich307 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 pm

I have found that with the IC and 3" steel shot it still patterns a little too wide. 3 1/2" shells are a different story. With the IC and 3 1/2" steel shot I was finally getting a decent pattern. However I prefer to shoot 3" shells. I shoot winchester x-perts and kents Faststeel. I think the Mod still patterns better than the IC though, even with the 3" shells. I will be picking up a code black very soon.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby DWG7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:28 am

Thanx Yes I just shoot the 3" also and Faststeel I will try both chokes
DWG7
hunter

Postby wingseeker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 am

I definitely believe in after market specialized chokes. We use the HeviShot family
of chokes for waterfowl. They come in either Mid or Extended range tubes.... You
cannot go wrong with either one.
wingseeker
hunter

Postby TrqTTs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 pm

I'd love to hear some reports of the Carlson WF choke tubes on Maxus's, but I was fairly impressed with my F choke and Black Cloud 3 1/2" #2's. Unlike what they claim, the F definitely patterned more densely than M @ 25 yards. I'm looking forward to going back to the pattern board with some handloaded recipes. I will say that the 1 load I tried with F @ 25 yards did have some gaps in the spread, I'll get some pictures next time I head out with various loads.
TrqTTs
Newb

Postby DWG7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 am

I finally got out with the Maxus shot At 30 yds Faststeel, blackcloud, and then blindside #2 shot 3". At the 30 yd mark the blindside was the best then fast steel but very close my gun does not like the blackcloud. Back to 40yd and Blindside was the the winner all this with MOd choke , went to Imp cly at 25 yds Kent #3 won out
DWG7
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am

MOD worked great for me in my Maxus, then I got a patternmaster and a carlson's. I like the PM a little better.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby quackhead7606 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 pm

I have a 3 1/2" maxus and I use the MOD choke with hevi metal, kent fasteel, and Winchester xperts. my experience is that the hevi metal with do best at longer distances and great for geese. the kents are good for the ducks that are fast (bufflehead, teal, divers) and Winchester xperts are just great for all around performance for the price but I do notice more cripples with xperts compared to others. my gun HATES blindsides. I have killed ducks with blindsides but I have hit and cripples a lot more with them and they just didn't seam to patter well at all out of my gun. my gun smith and few other people I know told me that the Remington hypersonics with mess our barrels up and to don't use them. I never had but than again I just don't wana take the risk. a buddy uses pattermaster and blackcloud chokes and says the pattermanster is the best thing he ever bought. goodluck and be safe :beer:
quackhead7606
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Keep in mind all of my Browning and Winchester factory chokes MEASURE with Dial calipers more open than are stamped (except Full). they come out at roughly; Imp Cyl= Skeet and Mod= Imp Cyl and Full is .708 which = a tight Full. So if you want to have the chokes as they are marked you will need to buy aftermarket chokes. A good extended Lt-Mod and I-mod will do wonders for your patterns.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby timber fever » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm a little off topic here but has anyone experimented with a turkey choke in their Maxus? I just bought mine and was curious to what turkey choke/load patterned well. I shot the factory mod choke and 3 inch #4 Xperts in the early teal season here and couldn't complain.
timber fever
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:27 pm

My Maxus as well as most overbored barrels LOVE the Briley IM
The Drake
hunter

Postby Goose Getter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am

Briley LM over decoys, M for geese, and IM for snows. Briley chokes are worth a look if you're not happy with factory chokes.
Goose Getter
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 am

I have a set of extended Carlson's along with a cylinder and LM. They are good chokes for the money. I've got a phobia about shooting steel I want the restriction outside the barrel.
Red Huck
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes