Bulk Steel Shot for Reloading

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Bulk Steel Shot for Reloading

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Where is the best place to buy steel shot
Last edited by Fowlweather_13 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Re: Steel Shot

Postby triplecurl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Rogers Sporting Goods
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 am

I am looking for Bulk Shot for reloading
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Re: Bulk Steel Shot for Reloading

Postby TimeMachine » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am

Ballistics Products
Precision Reloading
Bucks Run (RSI distributor)

My favorite is the plated shot from Precision.
Signature???....We don't need no stinking signature
TimeMachine
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 am

Fowlweather_13 wrote:I am looking for Bulk Shot for reloading

Ah ok. I see now that you changed the original post title.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 am

Fowlweather_13 wrote:I am looking for Bulk Shot for reloading

Define "bulk".

Manufacturers used to call a standard 100 cnt box of bullets for reloading simply "bullets" and boxes of 500 were call bulk......Now the boxes of 100 are called "bulk" bullets................ :huh:

Also note that some sellers have what they call bulk steel shot and describe it as ballast. It's basically an mixture of sizes that probably are seconds. They wont tell you it is for reloading but why else would they carry it?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 am

100 pounds or more of BB,2,3 Steel Shot for reloading
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

Several of us are going in on reloading supplies and I know I want 100 pounds so the order may be larger. And I have seen the ballast material and it is all deformed and is 6 to 9 size shot really to small for what i am looking for.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby TimeMachine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 am

Precision Reloading has #50 boxes of shot. I usually order at what ever price break and shipping cost and minimized. Ordering 50 (5ea #10 bottles of assorted sizes) usually gets you a decend shipping cost.
Signature???....We don't need no stinking signature
TimeMachine
hunter

Postby Goose Hunter 1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Give Bucks Run a call, they are really great to work with and they sell in bulk. The more you buy the cheaper it gets.
1-800-274-0403
Goose Hunter 1
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:08 am

Fowlweather_13 wrote:Several of us are going in on reloading supplies and I know I want 100 pounds so the order may be larger. And I have seen the ballast material and it is all deformed and is 6 to 9 size shot really to small for what i am looking for.

I've been looking into this. I can get it straight outta China in 2,200 lb containers for a third the price you can buy it locally. Gotta figure out the whole shipping gig, though.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby BT Justice » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 am

Hopefully you looked into the fact you have to buy a 20 ft container load at a time, that would be 20 tons...usually around $800 a ton FOB china....after shipping, broker, customs fees and truck delivery to you your looking at $20,-$22000 minimum.

I don't think I would put out that kind of money to try and resell steel shot...my two cents.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

BT Justice wrote:Hopefully you looked into the fact you have to buy a 20 ft container load at a time, that would be 20 tons...usually around $800 a ton FOB china....after shipping, broker, customs fees and truck delivery to you your looking at $20,-$22000 minimum.

I don't think I would put out that kind of money to try and resell steel shot...my two cents.

Wasn't what I heard at all. Of course, the story I got was from a Chinese national that was a client in the shipping industry. He assured me that a 55 gallon drum would ship by itself.
cannon
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am

Just contact Harbor Freight, and have them throw it in on their ship, they get loads in from China every week! :lol3:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Precision reloading is due for a steel shot sale. They usually do it at least once a year. I think they offer flat rate shipping at a decent price too.

I think ballistic products offers a shipping discount a coupe times a year too.

If i had a choice I'd go with precision shot. Definitely the most uniform quality. Second being BP and last RSI.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Another option is "Industrial steel" but it is harder than the regular steel and you should have heavy wads
for this type of steel..................not the thin wall wads.

It is quite a bit cheaper and was at Bucks Run last year.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am

cannon wrote:
BT Justice wrote:Hopefully you looked into the fact you have to buy a 20 ft container load at a time, that would be 20 tons...usually around $800 a ton FOB china....after shipping, broker, customs fees and truck delivery to you your looking at $20,-$22000 minimum.

Wasn't what I heard at all. Of course, the story I got was from a Chinese national that was a client in the shipping industry. He assured me that a 55 gallon drum would ship by itself.

Maybe some of these places will now I've been out of International shipping for 10 years now.
Problem is small pieces like drums get lost very easily in large ships, and you don't know what kind of condition you will get the shot in when it arrives..there's no gurantees on keeping your container waterproof. That is either yours or the shippers responsibility....containers are for the most part guranteed wind and waterproof by the shipping company. A drum sitting in hold somewhere is a crap shoot...just my two cents
BT Justice
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

BT Justice wrote:
cannon wrote:

Maybe some of these places will now I've been out of International shipping for 10 years now.
Problem is small pieces like drums get lost very easily in large ships, and you don't know what kind of condition you will get the shot in when it arrives..there's no gurantees on keeping your container waterproof. That is either yours or the shippers responsibility....containers are for the most part guranteed wind and waterproof by the shipping company. A drum sitting in hold somewhere is a crap shoot...just my two cents

That's what I'm afraid of. I've got a client who swears up and down he can get it here in good condition, but I've spent enough time around shipping yards to believe that anything as dainty as a 55 gallon drum would get here in one piece AND stay dry in the process.

Sure would be nice, though. I wouldn't think it would take very long to unload a couple tons of #2's at $.80/lb.
cannon
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I ship container loads of product from Europe and unfortunately there are very few 8 foot wide inside dimension containers so since my product are in boxes @23" wide there is considerable space left over on one side of the container but great for shipping things that don't require a 2 foot wide area. So what needs to be done is to find an "LTL" or "Less than Container" load type product used by a China to US/Canada shipper and have a barrel or other suitable sized containment parcel or two added to the container. This may sound like an impossible dream but I'm sure some of our brothers in the shipping business could provide a few leads, eventually I believe some space in a container could be found and at reasonable cost. It would take a bit of logistic manipulation but it could be done, I know because I've done it before, not with shot but with other commodities from eastern Scandinavia to Eastern Canada.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:46 pm

lostknife4 wrote:I ship container loads of product from Europe and unfortunately there are very few 8 foot wide inside dimension containers so since my product are in boxes @23" wide there is considerable space left over on one side of the container but great for shipping things that don't require a 2 foot wide area. So what needs to be done is to find an "LTL" or "Less than Container" load type product used by a China to US/Canada shipper and have a barrel or other suitable sized containment parcel or two added to the container. This may sound like an impossible dream but I'm sure some of our brothers in the shipping business could provide a few leads, eventually I believe some space in a container could be found and at reasonable cost. It would take a bit of logistic manipulation but it could be done, I know because I've done it before, not with shot but with other commodities from eastern Scandinavia to Eastern Canada.
Lost

It would break my heart to become the first distributer of steel shot in the mid-south. I hate having to order everything in from the upper mid-west.
cannon
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 am

Go for it...you could be BIG.... :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm

be really big if sell it for 80 cents pound!!!!! could not have enough crates arriving from china to fill all the orders...then what happens in duck season work...work...work... :yes:
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 am

cannon wrote:
Fowlweather_13 wrote:Several of us are going in on reloading supplies and I know I want 100 pounds so the order may be larger. And I have seen the ballast material and it is all deformed and is 6 to 9 size shot really to small for what i am looking for.

I've been looking into this. I can get it straight outta China in 2,200 lb containers for a third the price you can buy it locally. Gotta figure out the whole shipping gig, though.

A legitimate Chinese manufacturer that is willing to sell by the 2,200 lb barrel, should not have any difficulty providing a quote delivered to a Port of Entry. Container shipping is cheaper by wt/volume but air freight is common and readily available.

I would suspect that your freight, customs clearance, brokerage and likely duty fees would easily double your cost on that kind of wt./volume. Also, there is inherent risk in importing. Your funds are normally long since transferred before you receive the material. If the quality is poor, it is unlikely you will get a refund and you will have no recourse.
Last edited by wildflights on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildflights
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Then you get to take delivery at a container lot near the port. Load 5, 55gallon barrels of shot onto your truck and drive back to your shop. To make it profitable. 10,000lb of 5 different size steel shot. Then Filling 1,000 10lb bottles/bags with labeling. Packaging for shipping, Setting up a commercial UPS USPS shipper account. I personally will just keep buying from Ballistic Products 50lb at a time. Unless you can get it too my house for less than $90 per 50lb.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

baltz526 wrote:Then you get to take delivery at a container lot near the port. Load 5, 55gallon barrels of shot onto your truck and drive back to your shop. To make it profitable. 10,000lb of 5 different size steel shot. Then Filling 1,000 10lb bottles/bags with labeling. Packaging for shipping, Setting up a commercial UPS USPS shipper account. I personally will just keep buying from Ballistic Products 50lb at a time. Unless you can get it too my house for less than $90 per 50lb.

I'd be almost certain that I could get it to your house for less that $60. Here again, I've got a client that is in the business of importing metals from China, and I believe him when he says he can get it here at the price he quoted. And if I get you're a buddy and I get you shot that is the appropriate density and size, and has the appropriate appearance, at 40% less than you can buy it retail, you ain't gonna care if it's labeled or in an attractive package. You're only gonna care that it is what I said it is and that it got to you safe and sound.

My concern is what to do (other than cry) when it gets here and it's a 2,200 lb rust-infused slug. Price point isn't an issue. I order steel every year, 250 lbs at a pop. If I could even unload enough of it to offset my costs by 50% over a 3-year period, it'd be more than worth it. Dropping $1k on rust, on the other hand, would make me sad.
cannon
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes