Bulk Steel Shot for Reloading

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Bulk Steel Shot for Reloading

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 pm

cannon wrote:
baltz526 wrote:Then you get to take delivery at a container lot near the port. Load 5, 55gallon barrels of shot onto your truck and drive back to your shop. To make it profitable. 10,000lb of 5 different size steel shot. Then Filling 1,000 10lb bottles/bags with labeling. Packaging for shipping, Setting up a commercial UPS USPS shipper account. I personally will just keep buying from Ballistic Products 50lb at a time. Unless you can get it too my house for less than $90 per 50lb.

I'd be almost certain that I could get it to your house for less that $60. Here again, I've got a client that is in the business of importing metals from China, and I believe him when he says he can get it here at the price he quoted. And if I get you're a buddy and I get you shot that is the appropriate density and size, and has the appropriate appearance, at 40% less than you can buy it retail, you ain't gonna care if it's labeled or in an attractive package. You're only gonna care that it is what I said it is and that it got to you safe and sound.

My concern is what to do (other than cry) when it gets here and it's a 2,200 lb rust-infused slug. Price point isn't an issue. I order steel every year, 250 lbs at a pop. If I could even unload enough of it to offset my costs by 50% over a 3-year period, it'd be more than worth it. Dropping $1k on rust, on the other hand, would make me sad.

Buy the required machinery and the steel wire.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 am

Theduckguru wrote:
cannon wrote:
baltz526 wrote:Then you get to take delivery at a container lot near the port. Load 5, 55gallon barrels of shot onto your truck and drive back to your shop. To make it profitable. 10,000lb of 5 different size steel shot. Then Filling 1,000 10lb bottles/bags with labeling. Packaging for shipping, Setting up a commercial UPS USPS shipper account. I personally will just keep buying from Ballistic Products 50lb at a time. Unless you can get it too my house for less than $90 per 50lb.

I'd be almost certain that I could get it to your house for less that $60. Here again, I've got a client that is in the business of importing metals from China, and I believe him when he says he can get it here at the price he quoted. And if I get you're a buddy and I get you shot that is the appropriate density and size, and has the appropriate appearance, at 40% less than you can buy it retail, you ain't gonna care if it's labeled or in an attractive package. You're only gonna care that it is what I said it is and that it got to you safe and sound.

My concern is what to do (other than cry) when it gets here and it's a 2,200 lb rust-infused slug. Price point isn't an issue. I order steel every year, 250 lbs at a pop. If I could even unload enough of it to offset my costs by 50% over a 3-year period, it'd be more than worth it. Dropping $1k on rust, on the other hand, would make me sad.

Right, because the transition between the thought of buying something in bulk to reduce costs and setting up a manufacturing plant at an extraordinary increase in cost is a logical one. Makes perfect sense.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby wildflights » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 am

cannon wrote:

No offense meant, but if your client is an importer, he should be able to quote a price (or a close estimate) with freight and other related fees. He should know if there is duty and what the realistic associated costs are. Importers are familiar with the risks. If he has been importing from China, he has some stories about material that "is not what he ordered".

More likely, your client is buying from an importer. I would be suspicious if the importer wasn't able to give an imported cost to a port of entry and isn't willing to back the product.

Wonder what 2,200 lbs of rusty scrap iron is worth at a recycle yard?
wildflights
hunter

Postby wildflights » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 am

I'm not a metal guy, I handle imported wood products. Offhand, I can tell you that a 40' can costs about 4500. a 20' can costs about 3500. customs brokerage is about 400. import duty can be anything depending on product and how it's finished. In my industry, cutting a head dado at the mill will add another 3% duty (tax). Local trucking from the port adds about 350, and the local driver has to be OK'd by the port to pick up the can. Often, customs "pulls" a container for further inspection, you have to pay for that inspection and pay for trucking to and from the inspection site. If I was to quote you on a crate of door jambs, it would not be based on it sitting in another country.
wildflights
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:11 am

wildflights wrote:
cannon wrote:

No offense meant, but if your client is an importer, he should be able to quote a price (or a close estimate) with freight and other related fees. He should know if there is duty and what the realistic associated costs are. Importers are familiar with the risks. If he has been importing from China, he has some stories about material that "is not what he ordered".

More likely, your client is buying from an importer. I would be suspicious if the importer wasn't able to give an imported cost to a port of entry and isn't willing to back the product.

Wonder what 2,200 lbs of rusty scrap iron is worth at a recycle yard?

None taken, but I think you're missing the point. If I somehow indicated that he couldn't give me a solid figure, that is not what I intended to convey. He and I haven't carried the conversation that far. My concern would be with regard to the quality of what was received. And since he would be "helping out a friend" as opposed to entering into a solid business relationship, the risk would be mine. Middle men are where cost effectiveness is lost. Unfortunately, where there's no bonafide middle man, risk becomes a legitimate factor. The client I mentioned didn't offer to warrant the quality of the items received or to handle a purchase. He simply said he could get it here.

Let me reiterate what I'm saying: I have considered gambling $1k on a ton shipment of steel shot. I know a guy who claims he could get it here. It would be nice to pay 1/3, 1/2, or even 80% of what I currently do for steel shot. I do not have access to any entity which would guarantee the quality of what was received, but I certainly have the necessary tools for taking possession at port. I have been delivering ag commodities to port on the Mississippi via 18-wheeler for 15 years. Handling 20 ton payloads is a cakewalk. I can say without hesitation that even triple the traditional shipping fees would still land such a shipment at 1/2 what I pay now. I do not entertain ideas of purchasing a $250,000 ball bearing machine, nor the idea of setting up a $500k facility to house it.

Now, does that make it a good idea? Probably not. On the other hand, it never hurts to dream a little. That's how rich folks got that way.

For giggles, I'm gonna take this guy a bag of steel shot and inquire as to what the price tag would be for the smallest quantity he could get here. I'll let ya know how bad an idea it was when I hear back from him, and I suspect that it will turn out to be a REALLY bad idea, but it never hurts to inquire.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 am

I import goods from across the Atlantic and there are things that have to be factored into your endeavor. You will need a Broker to give you some good solid advice on the risks and associated costs, the manufacturer should be able to give you the freight and handling cost FOB your Port of Entry, Your Broker takes it from there re: the necessary duties , taxes etc, and then it is up to you to get the Bonded goods into your facility which some Freight Forwarding company will do for a fee. It's not all roses and if everyone does their thing right it can be rewarding, if things go awry then that's a nightmare.
Your manufacturer should be able and probably already does supply sufficient packaging to survive ocean freight and they would be the place to start in this exercise. IMHO
Good luck.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby wildflights » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 am

I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all. It's just that your original posts lacked the required details to determine costs.

In my limited experience with Chinese mills, the first couple shipments will be the best quality that they can produce. Then they'll cut the corners and eventually you'll end up with shot that looks like Blindside :lol3:
If I shot as much steel as you do, I'd buy the barrel. I would also gladly pay my buddy his markup to guarantee the quality. You're buying peace of mind.
If I skipped the markup, I'd contact a metal recycler before placing the order to figure my actual risk.
wildflights
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 am

Cannon you are a ingenious thinker and with your fore site you can pull this off ! I also live 50 miles from a port ( port of
Stockton ) where commodities are imported or exported by ship . This brings up a interesting question of what to do , IF , you
end-up with ONE projectile instead of hundreds of thousands ? :yes: I see boat loads of scrape steel being exported and with your
conversation with the importer you might ask for a recommendation of a good exporter ! Having all your bases covered in this
deal would be wise and I believe you've thought about this too ? :lol3:

I know ! This is what happens when a fella is set-up to reload so many shells , really fast and has all his ammo ready for next
season , 1 month after the last season.... :bow: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

cannon wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:
cannon wrote:

Right, because the transition between the thought of buying something in bulk to reduce costs and setting up a manufacturing plant at an extraordinary increase in cost is a logical one. Makes perfect sense.

With all those folks in your blind, you need a manufacturing plant, LOL.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 pm

I just had another thought for you Cannon , instead of importing steel shot from China why don't you buy one of those
electro-magnets and put it in-front of your stubble disc , thinking with all the help you have shooting shells each year , there's
got to be a gold-mine in steel shot right out your front door ? :huh: :huh: :yes:

3200 man
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 pm

wildflights wrote:I'm not a metal guy, I handle imported wood products. Offhand, I can tell you that a 40' can costs about 4500. a 20' can costs about 3500. customs brokerage is about 400. import duty can be anything depending on product and how it's finished. In my industry, cutting a head dado at the mill will add another 3% duty (tax). Local trucking from the port adds about 350, and the local driver has to be OK'd by the port to pick up the can. Often, customs "pulls" a container for further inspection, you have to pay for that inspection and pay for trucking to and from the inspection site. If I was to quote you on a crate of door jambs, it would not be based on it sitting in another country.

I am a metal guy. I sell my scrap Galv metal for $3.00 per 100 lbs

I buy new Galv sheets for .45 cents a pound. Cold steel runs less than .35 cents per lb.
Now this is for sheet metal not steel shot.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby culot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm

I have ordered 50kg steel shot from a company who sell products for blasting, same factory they buy blaster stuff from
Also fabric steelshot for hunting , and they are rust protected + high quality . They are more expensive than the
Low quality china shot i can order from Italy so i hope it's worth the extra cost .

/Peter
culot
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes