old .410 cant shoot steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

old .410 cant shoot steel

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:17 pm

ok my son is about to turn 8 this nov and im gona be giving him a .410 that was givin to me by my dad that he was givin from his father. and im trying to find sum shells that he can shoot this year duckhunting.

what is out there that isn't steel

ifound heavy shot .410 Bore 3" 1/2 oz. # 7 1,250

that all I could find and that 30$ for 10.

im not putting a price tag on memorys but hell that's pretty steep.
hillbilly..
hunter

Re: old .410 cant shoot steel

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Find an old barrel that will fit the gun with a skeet choke or cut the end off, if need be.

It will not be pretty but for steel it will be the cheapest way to get er done................
until he is old enough for a 20 Ga.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Find an old barrel that will fit the gun with a skeet choke or cut the end off, if need be.

It will not be pretty but for steel it will be the cheapest way to get er done................

So you would take a hacksaw to great grandpa's shot gun? And you didn't care what kind of gun it was. Does the word heirloom fit in your vocabulary. Amazing! :no: :rolleyes:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:15 pm

ohio mike wrote:
Sagebrush wrote:Find an old barrel that will fit the gun with a skeet choke or cut the end off, if need be.

So you would take a hacksaw to great grandpa's shot gun? And you didn't care what kind of gun it was. Does the word heirloom fit in your vocabulary. Amazing! :no: :rolleyes:

Did you not understand what find another barrel means?
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:24 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:
ohio mike wrote:

Did you not understand what if you can't find one cut it off means. The gun could be a single barrel ,or it could be a fox double, or a Winchester model 42. (and you didn't care what kind of gun it was.) Reread my post.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

ohio mike wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:
ohio mike wrote:

Did you not understand what if you can't find one cut it off means. The gun could be a single barrel ,or it could be a fox double, or a Winchester model 42. (and you didn't care what kind of gun it was.) Reread my post.

Find an old barrel that will fit the gun with a skeet choke or cut the end off, if need be.

No where in that sentence does it say anything about cutting the guns original barrel.

The amazing part is that with your level of reading comprehension or rather lack there of you think you should rag on someone.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 pm

its a stevens double side by side. so I think findin another barrel might be outa the question.

and the bad part is id like to pattern it to see what would be a max kill range which at his age will prob be on the water.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Or,perhaps its your comprehension that's lacking.I do believe the sentence infers that if you can't find a barrel cut yours off. Why would you buy a unsuitable barrel?
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 pm

ohio mike wrote:Or,perhaps its your comprehension that's lacking.I do believe the sentence infers that if you can't find a barrel cut yours off. Why would you buy a unsuitable barrel?
The sentence doesn't infer anything of the such. That all came from your mind.

You could modify the donor barrel and still have the original would be why.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:its a stevens double side by side. so I think findin another barrel might be outa the question.

and the bad part is id like to pattern it to see what would be a max kill range which at his age will prob be on the water.

Pretty sure all those guns were full and full. They do bring a good price these days. If it were me I'd stick with the Classic Doubles. You might check to see if Nice Shot makes a .410 load.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Or,perhaps its your comprehension that's lacking.I do believe the sentence infers that if you can't find a barrel cut yours off. Why would you buy a unsuitable barrel?
The sentence doesn't infer anything of the such. That all came from your mind.

You could modify the donor barrel and still have the original would be why.

The guy is concerned with shell cost,why would he ever consider the costs associated with another barrel much less modifying one. Its all a moot point its a Stevens double, good luck finding barrels much less the cost.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:its a stevens double side by side. so I think findin another barrel might be outa the question.

Barrels could be found but you could buy a new gun cheaper. The biggest factory steel offered is 6 shot and out of a .410, 20 yards would me about the max.

At $3.00 a shell for soft .410 no-tox a youth 20 gauge shooting steel can pay for itself pretty fast.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:12 pm

[quote="ohio mike".[/quote]

The guy is concerned with shell cost,why would he ever consider the costs associated with another barrel much less modifying one. Its all a moot point its a Stevens double, good luck finding barrels much less the cost.[/quote]

And how many post before what the gun is was posted?
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 pm

wow that went a turn for the worse lol

Ive only seen one for sale it was in the 1200$range and mine was in way better shape before I left in the truck for a month.

and who or what is this Nice shot you speak of?

and the price does spook me a bit but for my son ill drop 60$ for 20 shells.

I do have a youth 20g but its more or less about me giving my first gun to my first son that will now been through 4 genarations. and having him try or actually shoot his first water fowl. with it. and he will be upgraded when his size is more appropate for it.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:wow that went a turn for the worse lol

Ive only seen one for sale it was in the 1200$range and mine was in way better shape before I left in the truck for a month.

and who or what is this Nice shot you speak of?

and the price does spook me a bit but for my son ill drop 60$ for 20 shells.

I do have a youth 20g but its more or less about me giving my first gun to my first son that will now been through 4 genarations. and having him try or actually shoot his first water fowl. with it. and he will be upgraded when his size is more appropate for it.

Excellent plan! Just google Nice Shot. Be sure to let us know if the little guy wacks one.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:[quote="ohio mike".

The guy is concerned with shell cost,why would he ever consider the costs associated with another barrel much less modifying one. Its all a moot point its a Stevens double, good luck finding barrels much less the cost.[/quote]

And how many post before what the gun is was posted?[/quote]

You started it! :hi:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 am

Right now 28 gauge is the smallest NICE shot is loaded in. RST Shotshells is the only commercial loader of NICE shot. The Classic doubles may be your only choice unless you can find some bismuth. It hasn't been loaded for a while but it shows up from time to time on the gun auction sites.

Or you can load your own. Not counting the equipment you can load up soft no-tox in .410 for around half or less than the factory loads. The shot will be 80-90% of component cost.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Option 3........ bore out the chokes and shoot steel. Steel shot loads and wads have improved so much over the years that I really question the idea that steel loads will harm it,with the exception of the choke being too tight. I fired steel shot from a pre steel browning citori (12 ga) for years, after I had the chokes bored and the bores never got a single scratch on th inside. I've recovered many 410 wads where steel shot was used and have not seen a single penetration of the wad by the shot.

It's too bad they never made an exception for the 410 when it comes to waterfowl and lead shot. The impact would be so minimal it isn't even worth mentioning.

I have considered on occasion, buying discounted 12 ga hevishot loads breaking them down and loading into the 410. I could probably load them for $1.50 a rnd that way
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:48 am

we CAN still use lead over here.
the suggestion to buy .12ga loads and pilfer the shot out of them is a plurry good one. at 1/2 oz per shot or 3/4oz in a 3" shell the cost isnt too bad. $3 per round for a good factory load is not too bad. personally I would try to find some 2 1/2" loads at 1/2oz to start with as they sometimes...sometimes pattern better??? they are faster too. big thing with .410s is to pattern them as they can be really touchy as to what load/shot size they like.
dont discount the wee guns too much...they still kill well.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:49 am

Especially with TSS.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 am

There aren't many .410 loads available that ARE steel. I found one Winchester steel load, in #6. Pretty small for ducks.
(Nothing from Kent or Remington or Federal)
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it through the old Stevens, but range with that small shot and light payload would be about 20-25 yards....especially water-swatting them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 am

A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! It wasn't with lead and it sure as hell isn't with steel. Buy him a 20 now and retire the old gun to bunny hunting.
You sure don't want to chop up a nice old gun.
z51
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 am

z51 wrote:A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! It wasn't with lead and it sure as hell isn't with steel. Buy him a 20 now and retire the old gun to bunny hunting.
You sure don't want to chop up a nice old gun.

That's probably the best statement made on this thread,including my previous ones.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm

z51 wrote:A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! .

Just because you can't wait for the ducks to get inside 20 yards doesn't mean every one is that way. No you don't want to go pass shooting with a .410 but inside it's range it is just as deadly as any other gun.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:43 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:
z51 wrote:A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! .

Just because you can't wait for the ducks to get inside 20 yards doesn't mean every one is that way. No you don't want to go pass shooting with a .410 but inside it's range it is just as deadly as any other gun.

Seriously?
So how many times did you duck hunt with your mighty .410 last year and what was your kill?

Personally I have more respect for the birds than to do any stunt shooting on them.
z51
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes