old .410 cant shoot steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: old .410 cant shoot steel

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:45 pm

z51 wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:
z51 wrote:A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! .

Just because you can't wait for the ducks to get inside 20 yards doesn't mean every one is that way. No you don't want to go pass shooting with a .410 but inside it's range it is just as deadly as any other gun.

Seriously?
So how many times did you duck hunt with your mighty .410 last year and what was your kill?

Personally I have more respect for the birds than to do any stunt shooting on them.

Didn't take it all all last year. But has nothing to do with will it kill or not. Did kill over 60 doves with it. But when I do take it duck hunting it's generally one shot kills. How hard is it to kill a duck that's hovering 30 feet above you? How hard is it not to shoot at a duck out of range?

But I would not hunt with steel out of it. Even though it has Briley tubes in it.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:26 pm

So the answer is zero ducks, right! :lol3:

Doves are tiny and gray, ducks not so much.
z51
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm

z51 wrote:So the answer is zero ducks, right! :lol3:

Doves are tiny and gray, ducks not so much.

I hunt duck with at least a half dozen different shotguns each year. Some years many more depending on type of hunts and area. Last year I duck hunted with a 28, 2 different 20's, a 16, and 2 different 12 gauges. And 40 or so guns that I didn't hunt with. The holes I typically take my Model-42 to was grown over with giant salvinia and I just didn't get around to hunting with it. The year before I took the .410 on two hunts and went 6 for 6 with it killing 3 wood ducks each hunt.

And yes doves are tiny and fly very fast. If you can hit a dove a duck is easy.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 pm

ohio mike wrote:
z51 wrote:A .410 is NOT a duck gun period! It wasn't with lead and it sure as hell isn't with steel. Buy him a 20 now and retire the old gun to bunny hunting.
You sure don't want to chop up a nice old gun.

That's probably the best statement made on this thread,including my previous ones.

what a crock of doggy doo doos :mad:
why is a 7/8oz of steel #3 ok to use on ducks if you think 3/4oz of lead is not?????
I see fellas knock the .410 for bird shooting all the time and quite frankly it is a great pity you cant see the wood for the trees.
nobody is saying pass shooting swans at 80 yards is the place to use a .410 but ducks at 25-30 yards are in just as much trouble whatever shotgun you care to use. as for finishing birds off that are hit and on the water...my son does a better job cheaper with his .410 using 3/4 oz lead reloads than ANYONE who has been with us does with a .12ga shooting steel loads no matter how good the load.not because the shell is super good but because we have worked out what shoots in that gun and load then to suit it. it patterns well... at 30 yards my best reloads put 115 from 145 #5/#6 into 4sheets of A4 paper
#4 factory rio 75 out of 90
gamebore #6 98 from 150
even with an adaptor tube in my .12 ga I put 75 from 160 #7.5 pellets in that area
so yes I admit the wee guns do have disadvantages but feed them good ammo and stick withing the 30yard MAX and they kill gamebirds fine. I have killed quail,rabbits possoms.hares,1 wallaby,bailed pigs,mallards,parrie ducks, with this cartridge, my son can add black swan and giant canadian goose to that list.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 pm

give the young fella a .20 guage you say...well fair enough if you dont have a .410 but please please please feed it with a light payload of 1oz or less. far to many guys give a light gun to the lad to shoot and put 3" 1 1/8thoz shells in it and put the kid off within the first few shots as recoil is too much.and make sure you have yellow .20 ga shells and dont let them mix with the .12ga at any cost.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 am

On the Turkey hunting forums there appear to be quite a few guys using 410's and a lot of them are using TSS and are very successful doing so.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 am

My first waterfowl gun was a single shot 410. Of course that was back in the lead days. I took my fair share of birds back then. I wish I was still that good a shot. I still routeenly use the 410 for shooting pigeons on the farm. They are the same size as teal and almost always hit the ground dead out to about 25 yards. If you can get ducks close enough it will kill them..........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 am

I have duck hunted for over 30 years in a State that has more duck kills each year than the entire Atlantic Flyway and I have never seen any duck Hunter using a .410. I'm not talking about jump shooting a duck or two out of a mud puddle in Oz while on a bunny hunt. I'm talking about consistently killing big late season mallards in rice fields and on big rivers. Anyone spouting this drivel about seriously duck hunting with a .410 using steel shot, or even worse actually showing up with one in a blind would be the butt of many a joke. Give me a break!
z51
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 am

Z51 do you have any actual experience using a 410?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 am

i used .410 back in lead days, if i had pump .410 i would spend money for tss and load some up. and pound mallards/honkers over decoys just to have fun with th e.410 and watch the 12 and 10 gauge guys wonder how and the heck. back in lead days i had no problem killing honkers/ducks with bolt .410. i wish i still had that gun,should have never sold it.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am

lostknife4 wrote:Z51 do you have any actual experience using a 410?
Lost

I still own a single full. My daughter use to shoot it when she was a kid at rabbits. I would not shoot steel in it. When I was a kid I had a Mossberg 3 shot bolt gun with a c-lect choke that I shot rabbits with. My Dad wouldn't let me duck hunt with it. I got a Winchester 16 gauge full choke single shot when I was 10 to dove and duck hunt with. I learned to shoot ducks with a single shot and was pretty good by the time I was twelve. I never used the .410 after that. There was no comparison. There still isn't.
z51
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am

heres little food for thought for .410 being good enough like said tss is way to go for that gauge. it would be spendy but the lad will have the very best load possble with the highest density shot out there that actually works. the tss shot has been getting rave reviews by turkey hunters for years. it might cost alot of money but atleast the lad will have fighting chance since you can not use lead anymore. if that shot is little costly get the next best which is heavy-weight from bucks run.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4&t=309837
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Can't or won't shoot steel? And why not?
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 pm

z51 wrote:I have duck hunted for over 30 years in a State that has more duck kills each year than the entire Atlantic Flyway and I have never seen any duck Hunter using a .410!
I've hunted in La. for over 45 yeas and we always smoke Arkansas and I have seen several fellows shooting .410's and they always have the best shot per dead duck ratio than anyone. It's about being smart enough to not shoot at ducks out of range regardless of gun in hand.

You must be one of those guy's that take 2 or 3 boxes of shells and if lucky comes back with 3 ducks and no shells.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Can't or won't shoot steel? And why not?
Lost

Are you asking me directly. Or are you askin sumbody else?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 am

z51 wrote:
Lost

I still own a single full. My daughter use to shoot it when she was a kid at rabbits. I would not shoot steel in it. When I was a kid I had a Mossberg 3 shot bolt gun with a c-lect choke that I shot rabbits with. My Dad wouldn't let me duck hunt with it. I got a Winchester 16 gauge full choke single shot when I was 10 to dove and duck hunt with. I learned to shoot ducks with a single shot and was pretty good by the time I was twelve. I never used the .410 after that. There was no comparison. There still isn't.

so now we get to the bias against the .410....Dad SAID IT WASNT GOOD ENOUGH
lots of people say that very same thing,,,sorry I believe they are mistaken.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:02 am

Personally I wouldn't even factor in what gauge the shotgun is but that it has been handed down through the generations.
Most older SxS shotguns that are in smaller gauges command a premium these days, and the fact it has been handed down would make me buy the kid a new shotgun. Mossberg makes a 500 Bantam shotgun that is lighter than the Stevens and with a 22 inch barrel, easier to handle for a young shooter. I'd leave the Stevens for when the kid is older and he could appreciate it more, and not try to push something that you may regret in the future.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 am

hillbilly.. wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Can't or won't shoot steel? And why not?
Lost

Are you asking me directly. Or are you askin sumbody else?

You specifically hillbilly but everyone in general.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:07 am

A5Mag12 wrote:
z51 wrote:I have duck hunted for over 30 years in a State that has more duck kills each year than the entire Atlantic Flyway and I have never seen any duck Hunter using a .410!
I've hunted in La. for over 45 yeas and we always smoke Arkansas and I have seen several fellows shooting .410's and they always have the best shot per dead duck ratio than anyone. It's about being smart enough to not shoot at ducks out of range regardless of gun in hand.

You must be one of those guy's that take 2 or 3 boxes of shells and if lucky comes back with 3 ducks and no shells.

That's a load of crap on the duck kill man, look up the numbers. You guys aren't even close, we are first and California is second. Of course if you count the Coots and Greibs you guys shoot, I can see how you might be confused. I bet the kill ratio is high because they take a rest and wait until the birds stop swimming before pulling the trigger. Your claims are outrageous that guys that you've seen shoot .410s have a higher kill ratio than anyone. Nobody believes a whopper like that.

Is that you Ned? :lol3: :lol3:
Last edited by z51 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
z51
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:13 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:
z51 wrote:
Lost

so now we get to the bias against the .410....Dad SAID IT WASNT GOOD ENOUGH
lots of people say that very same thing,,,sorry I believe they are mistaken.

He KNEW it wasn't good enough and so do serious duck hunters. We have more respect for the sport than to shoot at ducks with a marginal quail gun.
z51
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 am

I would submit that IMHO the very people who regularly hunt fowl with a 410 are VERY SERIOUS duck hunters and I would also like to add that I think their in hand harvest ratio is a lot better than the not so serious hoard of 12 ga gunners.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:50 am

z51 wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:

That's a load of crap on the duck kill man, look up the numbers. You guys aren't even close, we are first and California is second. Of course if you count the Coots and Greibs you guys shoot, I can see how you might be confused. I bet the kill ratio is high because they take a rest and wait until the birds stop swimming before pulling the trigger. Your claims are outrageous that guys that you've seen shoot .410s have a higher kill ratio than anyone. Nobody believes a whopper like that.

Is that you Ned? :lol3: :lol3:

Looks to me like those Cali tree huggers know how to kill more birds then your great state :hi: :lol:

http://www.flyways.us/regulations-and-h ... est-trends
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 am

Then there are those Louisiana boys who really know how to kill ducks :wink:

http://www.flyways.us/regulations-and-h ... est-trends
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 am

TSS would be nice in a little 28 gauge SXS. I like the 410 for rabbits and dove, but not much else. I suppose with TSS if the ducks landed in your lap you could have a fun day with a little 410, but I'd prefer something a little bigger.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 am

TSS is just too pricey for me but a load of TSS 8's from a .410 would have a longer range than steel from any size gun.
A5Mag12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes