old .410 cant shoot steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: old .410 cant shoot steel

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:43 pm

I will post the link to there instructions for there loader. my dad loaded my .410 duck goos loads way back in day in the 70's with lead shot with a lee loader which is the same concept. it will be fold crimp just like factory shells.

link to instructions:
http://lanesreloading.com/support.html

they have hand loaders from .410 to 12 gauge.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm

I believe the idea that steel shot will damage the barrel on an older gun is a reminant of the information passed down when stell shot loads were in their infancy. I have not seen or heard of any testing done with current loads, which are greatly improved over the original ones. That is one of the reasons I have to doubt the validity of that idea. I won't argue that the potential is there to bulge a barrel using a tight choke and large shot but I think the chances of scratching the barrel are little to non with modern loads....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:30 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:im not a reloader so how does that tool crimp it or roll it? to keep the shot in?

I use that sort of kit..infact thats all Ive got :no:
both for .12ga and .410.
its piece of cake to use and for the wee .410 you can have a lot of bang for stuff all bucks :thumbsup:
I believe you can get steel wads over there from??BPI???
If I can find some heavier than lead .12ga rounds that arent too expensive Im going to pull them apart and load the shot in .410 it will just be a simple matter to do if I get shot that is ok in lead type wads(softer than for steel)
as for how the crimping works...it uses the existing crimp and with a tapered tool pushes the petals inwards you then push them down into place with another. easy as :hammer: now I use a rubber mallet :hammer:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 pm

TSS requires a special wad column and when you get your TSS from Hawglips, he will provide you with a recipe for every thing you need.
NOTE: DO NOT just replace standard steel shot with TSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What you are proposing is VERY DANGEROUS

Hawglips will provide a tested recipe with your TSS.

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Is hawglips a member on here?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 pm

lostknife4 wrote:TSS requires a special wad column and when you get your TSS from Hawglips, he will provide you with a recipe for every thing you need.
NOTE: DO NOT just replace standard steel shot with TSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost

what who is proposing???
I said I would see what could be done IF wads were ok???
I do value my barrel and myself more than that.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Is hawglips a member on here?

I think he is, if not you can find him on http://www.shotgunworld.com , http://28gasociety.46.forumer.com/index.php , or a couple turkey hunting forums.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 am

For TSS contact Hawglips at:

Accesshga@aol.com

Hal Abbott
Access International Inc
4901 Collard Patch Lane
Garner, NC, 27529

919-662-8138

Tell him Lost sent ya! LOL

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:54 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:TSS requires a special wad column and when you get your TSS from Hawglips, he will provide you with a recipe for every thing you need.

Lost

what who is proposing???

Wads only are a no-no with any shot harder than Lead. Shotcups are a minimum requirement and are sometimes complimented with Mylar wraps. Wads, either cork or cards or felts are used as fillers in shotcups and are generally of a smaller gauge than the shotcup they are placed in as a filler, the O/S card is the same size as the gauge. A "Wad Column" consists of a shotcup with wad fillers or wads alone for older hulls loaded with Lead. Newer Lead loads may use shotcups or just wads.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks lost say not to get to far of track since you're from canada you remember a she'll brand calld Imperial I think that's the spellin?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:19 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Thanks lost say not to get to far of track since you're from canada you remember a she'll brand calld Imperial I think that's the spellin?

I sure do billy in fact I still have a few rounds of different ammo and some old empty shell boxes...... memories, especially the smell of the fired 20 ga paper cases.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I have an unlce who was givin a couple cases of 4&6 shot 2 3/4 and there 1 1/2 to 1 5/8oz high brass think there purple. Plastic shells
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Do you remeber wen they qiut makin them
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:10 am

lostknife4 wrote:
Elvis Kiwi wrote:

Lost

what who is proposing???

Wads only are a no-no with any shot harder than Lead. Shotcups are a minimum requirement and are sometimes complimented with Mylar wraps. Wads, either cork or cards or felts are used as fillers in shotcups and are generally of a smaller gauge than the shotcup they are placed in as a filler, the O/S card is the same size as the gauge. A "Wad Column" consists of a shotcup with wad fillers or wads alone for older hulls loaded with Lead. Newer Lead loads may use shotcups or just wads.
Lost

ok dude that make sense now :oops:
lost in interpretation on my behalf sorry :oops:
wads over here have been shot cups for soo long it has been a rarity indeed to find a factory load without one.
for the record I use claybuster shotcups :thumbsup: to load the .410..a replacement for winchester shotcups available here.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:30 am

Just for the doubters........ My brothers bachelor party today consisted of a shootout day for all involved. I decided it was a fine time to do some warm up with the 410. After about 4 shots to "dial in" I went 22/25 on clays out to 30 yards, totally dusting at least 1/3 of them. This was with a fourtenner tube in a 20 ga., #6 steel, within 30 yards and x full choke (20 ga). It should be noted that I was outshooting 2 other guys with 12 ga and another with a 20 ga. shooting lead 7 1/2s and 8s.

I don't shoot 410 that often, probably less than 100 rnds a year, yet feel confident that I could consistently take teal size ducks with that combo, at that range shooting at that level of accuracy. All I'm suggestig is that a shooter capable of hitting small ducks is going to knock them down fine with a 410.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 am

The majority of this thread is retarded IMO. So many people with no experience in shooting 410 for ducks trying to have an opinion.

The limitation of the 410 is purely at what distance you can retain a pattern dense enough to kill and having the skill to hit a bird with that smaller pattern.

I shoot about 50/50 on anything inside 20yds in the layout boat. Probably would be closer to 75% standing up. I run either Bismuth or Hevi.

The 410 is more than capable as a duck round, for most it would be an exercise in frustration though.

I will add that I have never had a cripple when shooting it and the below bird was basically jello after being hit at around 8 yds with probably #6 Hevi.

g_maxson
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:23 am

couldnt agree more :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:couldnt agree more :thumbsup:

Just imagine what they could do with TSS..................
Lost LOL
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

shot these 2 hen woodducks on fly outa same group with the the old sxs. shot at one other duck but was a little slow to swing. had 2 geese come in and it crossed my mind but I just shot them with the 12g.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 am

well done, good to see it getting used.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm

proud dad here
and he shot the gun 3 times today should have been more but I made a bad call.

hillbilly..
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Well done billy, not only your success but your son's as well, First Class!!!!!
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:34 pm

great to see the younguns getting in amongst it.
thanks for sharing.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:04 pm

thanks guys
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm

You could use a variety of shells made for older guns hevishot has one....they are not as hard
on the barrels
rainingmallards
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes