Gaep finisher

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Gaep finisher

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 am

wildflights wrote:Is it the taper or the sharp edge on the inside of the crimp that is the desirable result with the GAEP finisher?

Both!

Will the GAEP roll crimp on its own or do you need two heads to roll crimp/finish?

The RTO , Roll Turn Over, tool needs no pre crimp however the BN XX is a finishing tool and closes up the gap on a fold crimp as well as tapers the outside edge and forms the edge of the rolled over portion of a segmented crimp after it has been crimped, six or eight section

Lost

"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks Lost.
wildflights
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 am

lostknife4 wrote:
wildflights wrote:Is it the taper or the sharp edge on the inside of the crimp that is the desirable result with the GAEP finisher?

Both!

Will the GAEP roll crimp on its own or do you need two heads to roll crimp/finish?

The RTO , Roll Turn Over, tool needs no pre crimp however the BN XX is a finishing tool and closes up the gap on a fold crimp as well as tapers the outside edge and forms the edge of the rolled over portion of a segmented crimp after it has been crimped, six or eight section

Lost

The taper crimp on my Minni Grand does the same thing and is much much faster. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 am

See you learn something every day, I didn't know that the RCBS would do RTO's for slugs and frangible OS cards like these:
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:

Both!

Lost

The taper crimp on my Minni Grand does the same thing and is much much faster. Ned S

the extra taper crimp is very good add on with the rcbs mini grand press...they have them for 20 and 12 gauge
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/RCBS-T ... o/6009016/

you put this in the extra station on the rcbs mini-grand after final crimp.

works great
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

All the RCBS equipment I have had over the last 50 odd years has been first quality and I am still using it today but my query was about RTO, Roll Turn Over crimps not tapering the outside end of the hull. The statement that I made was in answer to a question from Wildflights:

"Will the GAEP roll crimp on its own or do you need two heads to roll crimp/finish?"

my answer being:

to which Ned answered:
"The taper crimp on my Minni Grand does the same thing and is much much faster. Ned S"

I then commented that:
"See you learn something every day, I didn't know that the RCBS would do RTO's for slugs and frangible OS cards like these:
Lost"

To which I added a picture of a 12 ga FGM hull with a frangible disk O/S card formed using a GAEP RTO tool.

And the rest of the comments from various people go on about the taper and taper attachment for the Mini Grand but my question about the capability of the Mini Grand to make RTO, Roll Turn Over crimps on the Mini Grand has not been answered and no where in the RCBS website can I find any information that either confirms nor denies that the Mini Grand with any standard or optional crimp equipment will do what a GAEP RTO crimp tool will do with RTO crimps and O/S card or Frangible Disks.
I'm not disputing the quality of the RSBS taper or it's ability to do this, what I am disputing is Ned's statement that his Mini Grand "The taper crimp on my Minni Grand does the same thing and is much much faster. Ned S", I interpreted his "the same thing" as meaning the Mini Grand would also do RTO roll crimps which it doesn't!

Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 pm

the rcbs taper die does same thing as gaep finish head bn4 ect.

it does not do rto...the closest thing to what you are asking is the new mec slug reloading press that they camme out with in the last few years.

nope the rto would have to get either gaep head , precisions rto tool or balistic products rto finish tooling.

although i have not tried it with the tool like what mec has done with normal press.. will have to see what it does next time i load of shells.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I have an old crimp die for my old Hertters press that does roll crimps. Also have a 20 gage for the Herters press. The crimps were just as good as my GAEP makes. Heck all the old, old shells had the roll crimp. You guys just think you have rediscovered the wheel. In those days everything was made with paper hulls. I also had an iron that made the hull good as new stiffing up the crimp cyl. Also puff of smoke would come out any hull that had holes in it where the paper hull met the brass and they were brass in those days. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Ned I too have a couple of those old roll crimpers for paper hulls and when I first started loading I used them fastened to the bench with their c lamp handscrew but that was not what was referenced in my last post, it was your all encompassing statement that the rcbs would rto and it won't ! It will taper and probably close up the crimp and centre hole if there is one though
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:35 am

lostknife4 wrote:Ned I too have a couple of those old roll crimpers for paper hulls and when I first started loading I used them fastened to the bench with their c lamp handscrew but that was not what was referenced in my last post, it was your all encompassing statement that the rcbs would rto and it won't ! It will taper and probably close up the crimp and centre hole if there is one though
Lost

I never said the rcbs would rto. I said that the final crimp looked as good as a roll crimp which it does. However there is no crimp hole to close as the Mec final crimp does that when adjusted properly. Roll crimping is a waste of time for me when I get great patterns and published velocities with the crimps I do on the presses. Roll crimping is totally unecessary. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Ned I too have a couple of those old roll crimpers for paper hulls and when I first started loading I used them fastened to the bench with their c lamp handscrew but that was not what was referenced in my last post, it was your all encompassing statement that the rcbs would rto and it won't ! It will taper and probably close up the crimp and centre hole if there is one though
Lost

I never said the rcbs would rto. I said that the final crimp looked as good as a roll crimp which it does. However there is no crimp hole to close as the Mec final crimp does that when adjusted properly. You may have said that but you wrote:"The taper crimp on my Minni Grand does the same thing and is much much faster. Ned S" Roll crimping is a waste of time for me when I get great patterns and published velocities with the crimps I do on the presses. Roll crimping is totally unecessary. ( For you maybe!) Ned S
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 pm

goosepit2007 wrote:the rcbs taper die does same thing as gaep finish head bn4 ect.

it does not do rto...the closest thing to what you are asking is the new mec slug reloading press that they camme out with in the last few years.

nope the rto would have to get either gaep head , precisions rto tool or balistic products rto finish tooling.

although i have not tried it with the tool like what mec has done with normal press.. will have to see what it does next time i load of shells.

The MEC Slugger doesn't roll crimp either as stated in their advertisement, as you stated it's close but it forms the crimp without rotation. It folds the plastic to look like a roll crimp.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Using this Gaep finisher on shells shorten the hull life ?...
War Wagon
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 pm

War Wagon wrote:Using this Gaep finisher on shells shorten the hull life ?...

war wagon take look at this debate on gaep finish head:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287033
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
goosepit2007 wrote:the rcbs taper die does same thing as gaep finish head bn4 ect.

The MEC Slugger doesn't roll crimp either as stated in their advertisement, as you stated it's close but it forms the crimp without rotation. It folds the plastic to look like a roll crimp.
Lost

lost here is very good video on the slugger reloading video on how to use...the finish result looks perty good to me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbY3yF9xFbs
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 am

bubba682 wrote:Where can i order one for ten gauge and how do they work.

Solway is the man for GAEP tools, send him an IM and you will get your Gaep at a reasonable price and quick delivery. I have both the RTO which they specify as OTR and a BN4 finishing tool. I use the OTR for roll over crimps using O/S cards and the BN4 for a finishing tool for the six and eight point crimps.
Lost

www.gaepreloading.com
lostknife4
hunter

Postby culot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:26 am

Hi,

You can by crimpers directly from gaep , and he (charles) takes paypal
But his english sucks , there is a crimper named T2 special and it's a really nice tool.
I use it for everything , and so does the italians omv.it will also do excellent crimpers and Mr Stefano talks and write
Good english, Sp2 from omv is also a good crimper.

/P
culot
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes