Pick ONE Size for most....

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

One size for most....

Poll ended at Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm

T or F
No votes
BBB
3%
BB
1%
B
4%
32%
42%
16%
1%

Total votes : 69

Pick ONE Size for most....

Postby sstermer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm

If you were hunting over decoys and shooting both ducks and geese, pick your preference of steel shot size if you could carry only one box of shells.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Pick ONE Size for most....

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm

I would never hunt that way. For mallards I take 7/8 oz of 4's and 1oz of 3's. For geese I take 7/8 oz of B's and 1 3/16 oz of BB's. Why limit yourself? Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:46 pm

My vote is for 2s if you have a load that will pattern with them well consistantly. I used 2s only all last season. The results were superb. I do carry some 1s for back up if conditions are super windy. If not, I stick with the 2s. When hunting over decoys, the majority of my shots are between 35 and 55 yards. I make an effort to limit my shots to 50yds.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't see fumbling around in the blind changing in and out shells. I use 2's for ducks and BBs for geese so I'm going with something in the middle this year for combo hunts. I vote 1's
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 pm

This is not realistic. Same poll was run a week ago. What kind of ducks,what kind of geese, how far is the average shot "over decoys"?
z51
hunter

Postby sstermer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:24 pm

z51 wrote:This is not realistic. Same poll was run a week ago. What kind of ducks,what kind of geese, how far is the average shot "over decoys"?

I did see a poll that was conducted for "What is your favorite shot size for ducks", Did I miss one?

Without over-analyzing everything I proposed a generalized question, my intent was too avoid all the "what if's" and stay away from the I shoot the over-priced "premium" super steel because. Please just answer to the best of your ability given an average day afield under average conditions, it's not rocket science. :thumbsup:

I chose the poll so people may vote anonymously and without leaving a response if they so choose.
sstermer
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I am being honest, for mallards I shoot two 4's and then a 3. On geese I shoot 7/8 oz of B's or if they are spooky 1 3/16 oz of BB's, It is not fumbling for reloading but shooting as they are. Hell, I was taught that way. I would never shoot your way. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby goose_gunner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm

my vote was bbb but only in the 10ga and that's over water fields ect and for the 12 ga 1s hands down
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:30 am

How did people ever make these kinds of decisions before the internet. :help:
z51
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 am

z51 wrote:How did people ever make these kinds of decisions before the internet. :help:

Simple...you just picked up a box of lead 4's and that did double duty... :biggrin:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:39 am

Jon Bergren wrote:I am being honest, for mallards I shoot two 4's and then a 3. On geese I shoot 7/8 oz of B's or if they are spooky 1 3/16 oz of BB's, It is not fumbling for reloading but shooting as they are. Hell, I was taught that way. I would never shoot your way. Ned S

Why carry so many different loads KNOWING the chance to shoot both ducks AND geese is virtually guaranteed? :huh: Inside of 40-45 yards, 2's or 1's (my fav is 1.25 ounce #1 load at 1500 fps) is more than enough for any goose that flies and will have enough pattern for all but the smallest of duck species.

Ned, I have always held on to the addage that age spawns temperence and wisdom. I have to say that some of your posts truly leave me either scratching or shaking my head. You are without doubt the most oppinionated and closed-minded octigenarian I have ever seen. :huh: :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 am

dsm16428 wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:I am being honest, for mallards I shoot two 4's and then a 3. On geese I shoot 7/8 oz of B's or if they are spooky 1 3/16 oz of BB's, It is not fumbling for reloading but shooting as they are. Hell, I was taught that way. I would never shoot your way. Ned S

Why carry so many different loads KNOWING the chance to shoot both ducks AND geese is virtually guaranteed? :huh: Inside of 40-45 yards, 2's or 1's (my fav is 1.25 ounce #1 load at 1500 fps) is more than enough for any goose that flies and will have enough pattern for all but the smallest of duck species.

Ned, I have always held on to the addage that age spawns temperence and wisdom. I have to say that some of your posts truly leave me either scratching or shaking my head. You are without doubt the most oppinionated and closed-minded octigenarian I have ever seen. :huh: :no:

Dang! Now you are getting personal!!!!! I respected my teachers that's why I hunt the way I do.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:03 pm

NUMBER TWO STEEL
If you buy one case of ammo and use it all the time chances are very good you will kill what you shoot at IF YOU PRACTICE A LOT FIRST an use twos.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby rainingmallards » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I seem to have the most all around success with #2 shot. It just seems to be
the best for the majority of my hunting conditions.
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby GunnerNYS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm

BT Justice wrote:
z51 wrote:How did people ever make these kinds of decisions before the internet. :help:

Simple...you just picked up a box of lead 4's and that did double duty... :biggrin:

ain't that the truth
GunnerNYS
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, confirming my hypothesis.
sstermer
hunter

Postby TimeMachine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:51 pm

#2 Steel in 50 pound boxes.
Everything else I buy in 10 pound bottles.
Signature???....We don't need no stinking signature
TimeMachine
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm

#1, #B, and #BB here. I'll explain.

If I'm hunting rivers/marshes for ducks with the chance of a passing goose close enough to shoot, I'm packing #1's or #B's depending on if it is just mallards or a mix of mediums/larges (gadwall, wigeon, ringnecks, mallards).

If I am hunting field for geese with the chance of ducks coming in, I'm shooting #BB.

I have yet to hunt a place where the chances at ducks and geese were equal, so I seem to lean towards one or the other.

For just duck killing you can't beat #2's, but where I hunt the geese won't commit to our duck spreads so our shots are usually 35-45 yards overhead. #2's are crippling machines on those types of shots. Our geese here are ALL giants. About 12lb average on them. If you are shooting the regulars or lessers, #2 shot might be the ticket! But I have yet to see a load of #2 steel reliably kill giant canadas unless they were decoying in and committing suicide. And by kill I mean kill, not knock them down and chase them across a marsh, or sail them for 75 yards before they bleed out.

This season I'm trying out a new combo load, 3.5" 1 1/2 #1's. Should be enough pellets to reliably kill a duck at any reasonable yardage and yet still have enough power to take those overhead geese. We'll see how it does.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby bobbyrum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:01 am

#2 for sure :clapping:
bobbyrum
hunter

Postby bobbyrum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:06 am

I really should have clarified my answer :rolleyes: On the water I would have no problem using #2. I get both ducks & geese in my water spot at 30 to 40 yards average. In the field, I would probably use BB's.
bobbyrum
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 am

Jon Bergren wrote: I respected my teachers that's why I hunt the way I do.

Nobody is questioning the way you hunt. What is in question is the respect you fail to show to most of your fellow posters on the duck forums.

We all still have people in our lives, no matter how old we are, who can and will teach us new things if we only have an open mind. You have some teachers on this forum, ned. Respect them. Learn from them. It will make you a better person.
mudpack
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 pm

BBB for everything.
blackened89
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Gonna go with #2s. I always laugh when someone comments "why limit yourself". No load or even 2 loads are going to be ideal 100% of the time. I never consider picking and taking high probability shots as "limiting myself" but I know some hunters feel limited if they can't shoot at every bird within eyeshot.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 am

Where I hunt you have ducks 94% od the time...............
so that lets the big goose pellet out if you go with the odds of having a good day.

Now if you are in an area that is 50/50 on D&G you have to figure are you a goose man or a duck man
if you are not set up to get the birds to come in.

If your setup will have the birds set and get "In your face" it is a no brainer if the smaller size shot will work.

Where I hunt I would have to go with BB's to bring down a goose but also miss a few ducks with the poor patter and
pellet count on the smaller ducks that we have in Nevada. Ever try to hit a 60 yard teal with a BB load?

I will cast a vote for the #2 but 80% of the hunters in Nevada shoot #3's for duck and have two pockets with a
few 3" BB's for a goose that might fly by in range.

Going into the field with just one size pellet is like a doctor doing an open chest operation with a monkey wrench.........

Good day.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DrakeRoth22 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:41 am

i shoot federal blue box 4s at ducks and heavi metal 2s for geese. They pattern the best out of my patternmaster and have the least crippled within 40 yards most shots are at about 15- 25 maybe 30
DrakeRoth22
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes