Pick ONE Size for most....

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

One size for most....

Poll ended at Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm

T or F
No votes
BBB
3%
BB
1%
B
4%
32%
42%
16%
1%

Total votes : 69

Re: Pick ONE Size for most....

Postby renoduckman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm

I usually dont do that. Just a personal thing for me but im not crazy about shooting large Honkers with duck size steel. When on a combo type hunt i will bring a few larger pellet or hevi-shot loads for big geese. Have to change shells but nothing is perfect.

Now trying to make a choice and answer the question,
When i was in Canada a few years ago had pretty good luck shooting steel BB at big ducks and White Fronts while field hunting. This will be my choice since i have slowed down over the years and dont shoot at Teal !
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:21 pm

That was my recipe for years, No. 2 as all around load. Since there were fewer geese this year stopping at least, I went back to 4 and was amazed at the fewer cripples on ducks, more dead before they hit the water and etc. But then, there are 100 more pellets in a typical 1 1/4, 4 load compared to a 2. They must have invented the term "do the math" on this one.
John Duck
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

If it's light geese over decoys #1 will work great on both geese and ducks. If it's the Greaters we usually get here to decoy close there really is no good combo size. I shoot #2 for duck and BB for the big Canada's. IMO #4 is only good for smaller ducks.
z51
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes