Choice for long range finishing load

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Choice for long range finishing load

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:08 am

Over the years, I have seen a lot of geese tore up pretty good being shot with T shot. Thus heavy bleeding occurs. Perhaps the #1s are doing the same to those tiny ducks?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:15 am

jehler wrote:Bufflehead? What's that

Do eat those things jehler? About the only place I see them is on minnow hatchery ponds. :wink:

Time to break out the #5 steel!
z51
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 am

Z51,
I prefer to eat Buffies, like them better than Teal.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 am

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:Jehler,
What you shootin at those Buffies to make them bleed so much?
I shootem with 3s and they don't bleed like that

3's mainly, main reason for all the blood is we usually hunt 5 guys, they get thrown in a pile or bucket usually and by the time you have 30 of em in a like they are pretty stained up, really shows up on that white feather
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am

10gaOkie wrote: Too many other quality ducks to make up a limit.

Chris

I take offense to this kind of talk, no logic behind being a duck snob. Those buffies eat real well
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:33 pm

I'll bet the Buffies are fun shooting also. Ned S who was raised a duck snob. The only thing my Folks ate were Mallards and Wood Ducks.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:37 pm

All ducks, including shovelers and divers make great smoked sausage. I just dont fill my limit with teal and buffies as they are so small. I have never tried to eat a merganser though. Teal are said to be the most tasty but so tiny and I pass on them too.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:43 pm

10gaOkie wrote:All ducks, including shovelers and divers make great smoked sausage. I just dont fill my limit with teal and buffies as they are so small. I have never tried to eat a merganser though. Teal are said to be the most tasty but so tiny and I pass on them too.

Chris

I have! :eek: First duck I ever shot was a merg. Last Merg I ever shot too after I tried to have my mother, bless her, roast it up. Like eating rotted sardines. No thank you. :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:16 am

10gaOkie wrote:All ducks, including shovelers and divers make great smoked sausage. I just dont fill my limit with teal and buffies as they are so small. I have never tried to eat a merganser though. Teal are said to be the most tasty but so tiny and I pass on them too.

Chris

Teal are about the best eating you can get, I consider them the quail of waterfowl..not much meat there but the best flavor wise. I'll pass on the Hollywoods...
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

Teal are a treat around here but , Mallard and Sprig usually fill the limit . Buffies , well they're in such numbers a guy
can shoot 3 or 4 with one shot . They are such cute little birds , flying in a straight line with that famous crash landing
in the water. Never tried to eat one but , if they are that good I might have to try some . I have heard , you Eastern fellas
don't mind chewing for hours though ? :yes: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 am

As of late, I am grinding all my duck meat into smoked sausages. By doing so, it all tastes the same, good. I mix in goose meat as well. Grnhd does this with his breakfast sausages and the spoonies mix in just fine. Cant tell the diff.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 pm

solway gunner wrote:here jehler, i found you this mint beauty,be sure and look after it.

Coolest, yet most frustrating gun I've ever shot. My two biggest complaints were having to drop the gun from the sight plane to move the bolt, and keeping up with the damn removable clip(just asking to get misplaced/lost). I've known some people that could get off shots quick by loading the next shell with the gun still shouldered, but I never mastered it, or wanted to since the autos were better alternatives IMO. Cool safe gun, just not practical for most, unless you pass shoot and don't need 3 shells real quick.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:17 pm

But , you're the only one shooting , in the blind , as everyone ducks as you spin around which is a Good Thing , I guess ?

There are reasons for shooting one of these !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:55 pm

10gaOkie wrote:As of late, I am grinding all my duck meat into smoked sausages. By doing so, it all tastes the same, good. I mix in goose meat as well. Grnhd does this with his breakfast sausages and the spoonies mix in just fine. Cant tell the diff.

Chris

we got a couple of lots of salami made up with mostly goose meat...really tasty
If you pluck the breasts and leave skin on you will end up with that lovely bird fat which makes them moist and oh so tender, didnt need to add pork fat to mix as it was great with just the breasts.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Best swatter loads are those with the highest pellet count. Shot size and muzzle velocity don't matter nearly as much.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

[quote="mudpack"]Best swatter loads are those with the highest pellet count. Shot size and muzzle velocity don't matter nearly as much.[/quote]

I dissagree, over 50 yards, #3s and 4s dont get it done for me. I have had best luck at long range with B shot thru T shot. Like Jeff said, it may take more than one shot fired and usually does.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am

#7 TSS, but then if you are using TSS there probably wouldn't have been any requirement for a swatter in the first place LOL
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:52 pm

10gaOkie wrote:.. over 50 yards, #3s and 4s dont get it done for me. I have had best luck at long range with B shot thru T shot. Like Jeff said, it may take more than one shot fired and usually does. Chris

Give 1 1/4oz loads of 3's and 4's a chance. I think you'll find it won't take nearly as many shots to stop a cripple than it does with B - T sizes. ( can' think of a worse shot size for water-sluicing cripples than T shot....unless it's maybe F.)
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm

And he's an expert on swatting swimmers! :beer:
z51
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm

z51 wrote:And he's an expert on swatting swimmers! :beer:

lol :thumbsup:
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby bbs383ci » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:22 pm

lostknife4 wrote:#7 TSS, but then if you are using TSS there probably wouldn't have been any requirement for a swatter in the first place LOL
Lost

TSS ain't a miracle pellet no doubt it's probably awesome but it doesn't mean you won't miss by six inches and still have to seat them.
bbs383ci
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:30 pm

For the original question.. I don't think it will matter. The chance of hitting the head at 70 with any load is slim. You'll waste too many shells even trying. Start walking or fire up the motor and hope it bleeds out before it has a chance to get away.

Then tell whoever shot it to aim for the handle and not the duster.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

I have found that long range finishing shots on ducks are not part of the picture. They just dont swim off like geese do. When a goose is swimming there is one third of his body above the water line. Granted this does not allow a hit to the vitals, however, one T pellet through the back will stop or slow them down enough for retrieve. That one pellet of T or TT does a lot more damage than just punching a hole like smaller pellets would do. This is on shots from 55 to 70. The back is a much bigger target than the head. Try that with 3s or 4s and you are just kidding yourself. If you have a load that shoots 90% patterns with T shot at 50 yards, it will take even less shells to stop the crippled goose.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 pm

give me a goose over a duck at that range any day....by the time Ive got the boat back around the boys can still see a goose and tell me where it is heading...with a duck they are lucky to see it if its washed up at their feet :no:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I cant remember having a duck swim off that far in all my hunting days. But a goose will do it in a heart beat.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes