Anyone load 1-1/8 oz steel, Steel, Top Gun, or Ched?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: Anyone load 1-1/8 oz steel, Steel, Top Gun, or Ched?

Postby kenner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 pm

No Longshot available, locally,, and I didn't order it, 'nor the nickel-plated shot, earlier this summer, when I thought I would just streamline....

I also thought of using Chris's HG in either the #2, or #3 load.

Hodgdon lists Top Gun and AA, with Longshot and 1-1/8oz lead @ 1530fps!... and Cheddite @ 1585pfs!!

So, yes, lead will do the trick and further out...... Was just hoping to find something for chukar and the occasional pheasant, that would fit my components.

Thanks!.... Ken
kenner
hunter

Postby kenner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 am

I've given up and given in...... Ordered some #5.5 nickel plated shot and some Alliant Pro Reach powder.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.25&weightdis=1+1%2f4&shellid=497&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

I'll figure something else out, if I decide to hunt a refuge, or in WA, or wherever non-tox is required.
kenner
hunter

Postby dukdropper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:10 pm

[quote="10gaOkie"]Duckdropper,
Nice work. I have compared quite a few 2 3/4 hulls and their volumes. Alot of my learning has come from trying to fit given loads in them. The largest volume hull I have come across is the old maroon Federal unibody hull. It was most common in 1 1/4oz steel shot loads. My MEC Sizemaster does the trick for sizing those tall base hulls and it isnt a problem. The Cheddite hull is next in volume followed closely by the old Activ hulls. Since both the Fed unibody and the Activs are hard to come by, I sort of drop them from being a useable source for hulls. BPI does offer a new clear plastic hull that is the equal to the old maroon Fed unibody. But starting with new bought hulls can be expensive when free hulls can be had at your local range.
The paper basewad hulls do offer a lower pressure but always have a reduced volume. I am not a fan of the fast 7/8oz or 1oz loads unless all of my shots are over decoys. I never get those conditions so its not in the picture for me hunting public spots.
I have found quite a few hulls that have slightly less volume than the ched hulls and work well for a sub. To sub them, I only have to reduce the pellet count four or five pellets. These are the orange Nobel Sport, purple Fiocchi, Diana, Keman, dark blue Rio and Mirage. The Mirage hulls, come in various colors and you have to watch the base wads in these as they tend to vary in two heights. Rios come in varous versions, only the dark blue trap hulls seem to have the higher volume needed.
Also the Fed GM hull has slightly less volume than the ched hull but unless you find them at the range, they are pricey to buy once fired.

Hey Chris, Howz it going? Just added a Kent Fasteel 2 3/4" to my volume and cut away comparison pics. Just wanted to ask you, I'm not too familiar with the ched hulls YET! lol Got these kent hulls from my boy he has been shooting the teal with them (#4's) He likes them. Is this the hull you make the HG load with or is there different style/volume chedd hull out there. Thx
Db :yes:

PS looks real close to the fed gm hull imo
Attachments
hullvolumeupdate.jpg
dukdropper
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 pm

All Cheds are the same volume. No variations or surprises. These include the Kent Fasteel, Kent Trap, Estate w/plastic bw, Challenger, Centurion, Herters, American Target. I have also loaded the HG load with Active, Fiocchi (light purple), orange Nobel Sport, Mirage and these have slightly less volume so I just drop the pellet count back five or six pellets with them using #2s.
Others have told me they like using #3s and #1s which I have not seen a need to try. I like using 2s with this load. Why fix something that works. Others have sent me patterns of 97% at 40 yards with the load. Since I hunt on water all the time, these hulls give me no greef from getting wet like a paper bw would. All of the paper bw hull versions will definitely have way less volume and are more suited for a 1oz payload. The only 2 3/4 hull I know of that has more volume is the old Fed Classic hull (maroon) that is unibody type with straight wall design. I have not tried loading the HG load with them. I think BPI sells a clear version of this hull, new/primed. The Fed GM hull will work for the HG load also only requires cutting back the pellet count a few pellets. The HG load is the only load I have come across that really likes and responds to being loaded with #2 size pellet. I have seen no sign of it being inconsistant with no irratic patterns.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 pm

I killed some birds this fall with the topgun hull. 1 1/16 oz of #1 in the LBC43. 114 #1 fit nice. And they get near 1500fps. 1 1/16oz 90 copper plated airgun B fit nice in a Rio hull in the LBC43. Pretty impressive on Canada geese in the decoys.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 am

Right-on baltz , that load in a Rio hull has worked for me to !

I also have not found a better load than the HG load of 2's for , most everything ( Waterfowling ) !
3200 man
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:41 am

If one hunts with the HG load using 2s and gets to see its performance on big geese, its really eye opening. Its a lesson in seeing what consistant even patterns and pellet density will achieve.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:47 am

10gaOkie wrote:All Cheds are the same volume. No variations or surprises. These include the Kent Fasteel, Kent Trap, Estate w/plastic bw, Challenger, Centurion, Herters, American Target. I have also loaded the HG load with Active, Fiocchi (light purple), orange Nobel Sport, Mirage and these have slightly less volume so I just drop the pellet count back five or six pellets with them using #2s.
Others have told me they like using #3s and #1s which I have not seen a need to try. I like using 2s with this load. Why fix something that works. Others have sent me patterns of 97% at 40 yards with the load. Since I hunt on water all the time, these hulls give me no greef from getting wet like a paper bw would. All of the paper bw hull versions will definitely have way less volume and are more suited for a 1oz payload. The only 2 3/4 hull I know of that has more volume is the old Fed Classic hull (maroon) that is unibody type with straight wall design. I have not tried loading the HG load with them. I think BPI sells a clear version of this hull, new/primed. The Fed GM hull will work for the HG load also only requires cutting back the pellet count a few pellets. The HG load is the only load I have come across that really likes and responds to being loaded with #2 size pellet. I have seen no sign of it being inconsistant with no irratic patterns.

Chris

Hey Chris,

You said that all Cheddite hulls are the same. You said in an earlier post in this thread that the clear version is the same as the old Federal. Is this an exception to the Cheddite rule? I was thinking of buying some of these and did not want to run into problems with your HG load.

I see in the email that came from BPI today that they are using the same picture of clear hulls for the Fiocchi that are unskived and the Cheddite hulls that are skived. Probably just a lazy photographer.

Thanks,

David
StoneTower
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:52 am

David
The clear plastic hulls I spoke of that BPI sells new are not Cheddite hulls. They are Federal and listed as such. I think they are called the .090 Federal hull which is a unibody hull having no basewad and straight walls. This gives them their added volume. Cheds on the other hand have a very low plastic base wad that is so low you can see the primer sticking up above the top edge of the b.w. The HG load is based on the Ched hull, not the Federal hull. I have never used these Fed hulls for the HG load as its not necessary. Note that Cheddite does make a clear plastic hull that looks just like the Federal unibody hull but they are not the same. BPI is out of stock on those Fed hulls anyway right now.
'Keep in mind that part of the success and consistancy of the HG load is because of its perfect fit of components in the ched hull.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

the gamebore 1 1/16th and 1 1/18th loads are in a clear cheddite hull.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes