which 10ga wads hold 1.75oz

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: which 10ga wads hold 1.75oz

Postby solway gunner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:59 am

I load occasional 13/4oz only for F shot ,but its pushing it though.If you want a big payload for T - Fwhich shoots better in terms of velocity/pressure etc then 15/8oz is top whack for a 10ga.,convert it back to lead loading equiv and it helps understand why as its basically an 8ga loading.You can expect velocity to be around 1350-1380fps in a handload within safe breech pressures.You can fit 13/4oz with a sam1 inside a winchester hull without any problems if your short on feds.
solway gunner
hunter

Re: which 10ga wads hold 1.75oz

Postby BT Justice » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:20 am

solway gunner wrote:I load occasional 13/4oz only for F shot ,but its pushing it though.If you want a big payload for T - Fwhich shoots better in terms of velocity/pressure etc then 15/8oz is top whack for a 10ga.,convert it back to lead loading equiv and it helps understand why as its basically an 8ga loading.You can expect velocity to be around 1350-1380fps in a handload within safe breech pressures.You can fit 13/4oz with a sam1 inside a winchester hull without any problems if your short on feds.

This is what I've been stating all along, for the extra few pellets you would get from loading large shot, T-F, the performance loss of going to a 1 3/4 oz load over a 1 5/8 oz load just isn't worth it. We got crappy results in the field from 1 3/4 loads and never made the 70 plus yard shots that some claim they do with 1 3/4 oz loadings, 1 5/8 loads gave much better performance and much longer ranges for us. Oh well guess every bodies got to find out on their own.
BT Justice
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes