When I say stuck I mean stuck

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

When I say stuck I mean stuck

Postby Murph » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Have worked for a few hours on a buddys Browning Gold that has the modified choke tube stuck and I mean really really stuck. My guess is a little rust in there - or a lot. We have sprayed it with everything especially PB Blaster, right now it is fully emersed in PB Blaster.

It hasnt soaked for a very long time but we have tried heating it with a hair dryer as well.

So for something that seems to be permanently adhered - how long should it soak and what other tips - have read thru most on here but am looking for the tips for the worst choke tube you have seen.

Thanks
Murph
Murph
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:56 pm

what tools you have avalible. a vise and a spade drillbit that fits the slots will come in handy.

if it's a extended tube clamp on with vise grips and put the barrel in a vise and twist youll ruin the tube though.

weld the choke wrench to a socket and use a impact.

try soaking in hope's to disolve the powder and plastic in the threads.

try to tighten then loosen once it moves.

use a modified choke forever :mrgreen:

mix ammonia(or windex with ammonia), isoproponol(rubbing alcohol), and hot water in equal parts and soak the tube. i think i spelled that right.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:23 pm

You say it is totaly immersed, then I would try to set up a vibration to try to get the oil down into the problem area. Maybe tape an electric razor to the barrel. The vibs will help the oil in speeding up the process. I would use brute force as a last resort.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 am

How long has the choke been in the gun.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Murph » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 am

I think he said it has been in since about May or June, it is still fully submerged right now - the vibration is a idea. He has been looking at barrels but there are few guys online who sell them, or so it appears.
Murph
Murph
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:21 am

If all fails try some heat like a mini torch applied to the inside of the choke. Maybe that way you won't hurt the finish too much. You can also try taking it to a smith. They see this from time to time and may have better luck getting it out.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 pm

just catch the edge of the slot on the choke with a flathead screwdriver and tap it around. gotten many chokes out that way. the choke is harder steel than the screwdriver so it wont hurt it. a hair dryer wont do you much good...... it has to heat the barrel (and only the barrel) very fast so the expansion of the metal loosens the part.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Next time you put a new choke in, GREASE IT !!

Not oil, or silicon..........GREASE !!

Most hunters take care of there weapons and clean them after use !!

Bolt, chamber, tube & choke . :thumbsup:

Oil is fine on the outside.............. after a solvent wipe down.

If you really love your gun, use a "snap cap" to release the firing
pin spring, for longer use and no miss fires from a weak spring.

Pulling the trigger on a empty chamber will break a firing pin !!

Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 pm

If you have time and don't need it right away you can order one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/br ... ***9199***
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Huntbuck » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Try Kroil. It is the finest mollecular sized oil on the market. It actually can not be used anywhare near the medical industry as the molecular size is so small they can not filter it out....ie...it penetrates better than darn near anything on the planet. Also once you have it loose, you can use the Kroil on the barrel to clean it. I spray this in and go have dinner, or even let it go over night. Next time I check the barrel, the plastic is just peeled off and sitting in the tube... The oil gets under it and sets it loose. Otherwise I think a commercial head gun would work. The outer barrel must be heated and the tube left un heated best as possible. All you really need to do is get it moving so keep trying and good luck... :salude:
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Postby countrygent36 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:07 pm

I have seen this happen in the military before. We used a "scrubber". Which is simply what you are doing, a dip tank that has a vibrator attached to it.
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0