Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BT Justice » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:14 am

Has anyone chronographed the Federal Speed Shock or BC 1 1/2 oz 12 ga 3/12" loads.

If so where 1500 fps velocities as claimed
User avatar
BT Justice
hunter
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm


Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am

Nope. Only replying so this post will go under "view your posts" and I can find it later. I'll be shooting the 3.5" 1.5oz speed shoks this year so I am real interested to see what people find.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby goose_gunner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm

i have not but i did find they don't pattern vary well and the speed shock has the worst muzzle blast i have ever seen other than rem all hype steel
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:56 am

If you mean the PW134 Ultra Shok 3 1/2" load I have been shooting it pass shooting geese and late season ducks for years . It throws good patterns in my SX2 and kicks pretty hard. I have not chronographed it because I have no reason to believe it isn't up to spec.

Have they rebranded it as Speed Shok now?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 am

z51 wrote:If you mean the PW134 Ultra Shok 3 1/2" load I have been shooting it pass shooting geese and late season ducks for years . It throws good patterns in my SX2 and kicks pretty hard. I have not chronographed it because I have no reason to believe it isn't up to spec.

Have they rebranded it as Speed Shok now?


Ultrashok is discontinued. Some of the loads were brought back under the speedshok line. I.e. the 3" 1's (albeit slower) and some 3.5" 1 1/2 oz loads. The knock on speedshoks among other things has been they don't perform as advertised in the muzzle velocity dept.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 am

I still have over a case of the Ultra Shoks left. I guess they are trying to push us to Black Cloud. I have not seen the 3 1/2 " Speed Shok yet. I can get Rem Sportsman 1 3/8 oz at 1550 fps for $120 a case locally so I think I'll switch.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 am

They are not trying to push you to anything, people were not buying the ultra-shok anymore when they found out the speed-shok is the same shell without plated shot. Sales went way down and they couldn't afford to keep it in production at $180 a case for 3".

$155 is the best I have seen so far this year for the 1 1/2 speed shoks. Last year they were $149.99. I'm going to pick up a case of either 2's or 1's for late season mallards.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am

You don't know all you think you do. I bought a case of 3 1/2" Ultra Shoks this year to my door for $150 from Rogers. You need to work on your tone a bit.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:02 am

z51 wrote:You don't know all you think you do. I bought a case of 3 1/2" Ultra Shoks this year to my door for $150 from Rogers. You need to work on your tone a bit.


My tone? I am typing. You have no idea what tone I am using.

I do know that to be a fact, it came straight from federal, from rogers, and from a friend of mine who works very closely with federal.

You bought them at that price from rogers because rogers bought out all of federals ultra-shok stock when they declared them discontinued in 2011 and sold them off cheap. Retail price for ultra-shok 3.5 was $229.99. They sold them off at the same price as speed-shok to clear them out. That price was ridiculously cheap and I have already kicked myself in the butt for not buying 5 or 6 cases. You will never see quality ammo for that price again.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am

Yes, I can tell tone from words as can others, I don't have to hear the words. Yes, I got them and you didn't, and yes, if I want a premium load from Federal I have to buy Black Cloud. If you knew anything about about Marketing you could see why Federal did what they did.
Last edited by z51 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am

Obviously you aren't as smart as you think... because I was writing that with an up-beat helpful tone.. not a demeaning or rude tone. This one I AM writing in the rude tone. Cant tell a difference can you? :rolleyes:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 am

No, because your tone hasn't changed.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby gooseman1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:03 pm

LOL!!!!!
gooseman1
hunter
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby solway gunner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm

BT Justice wrote:Has anyone chronographed the Federal Speed Shock or BC 1 1/2 oz 12 ga 3/12" loads.

If so where 1500 fps velocities as claimed


my friend fetched some boxes back along with a few k.fasteel from his annual spring snow goose hunt in texas.,he hadnt actualy shot any on his triponly using the f.steel,so when he came to visit me on a fowling trip we went to chrono /pattern test them in my back field.
they were fed b.cloud 11/2oz bb ,got set up at 50yrd and fired one round ,the recoil was ferocious and more than i was prepared to take from a 12ga (win.x3)i threw the towel in-they actualy stung my trigger finger,the spent shell ejected about 20ft :yes: - listed 1500fps actual 1420fps so they were no where near.,or possibly would /could be either in reality, pattern approx 70% .
lord knows why your interested in those things,i found the wad,its thick black plastic without slits and has 2 fins leading out from it.-no wonder the recoil was so intense.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby BT Justice » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

solway gunner wrote:
BT Justice wrote:Has anyone chronographed the Federal Speed Shock or BC 1 1/2 oz 12 ga 3/12" loads.

If so where 1500 fps velocities as claimed


my friend fetched some boxes back along with a few k.fasteel from his annual spring snow goose hunt in texas.,he hadnt actualy shot any on his triponly using the f.steel,so when he came to visit me on a fowling trip we went to chrono /pattern test them in my back field.
they were fed b.cloud 11/2oz bb ,got set up at 50yrd and fired one round ,the recoil was ferocious and more than i was prepared to take from a 12ga (win.x3)i threw the towel in-they actualy stung my trigger finger,the spent shell ejected about 20ft :yes: - listed 1500fps actual 1420fps so they were no where near.,or possibly would /could be either in reality, pattern approx 70% .
lord knows why your interested in those things,i found the wad,its thick black plastic without slits and has 2 fins leading out from it.-no wonder the recoil was so intense.

Thank you...Not really interested in using the shells so much as comparing results from reloads we tried, which were right in the 1444 fps average range but were also at max pressures with the Federal hulls.
I was basically just trying to figure out how they were supposedly getting that much velocity from their loads, you just answered the supposedly part for me... :lol3: Joe
User avatar
BT Justice
hunter
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Federal 3 1/2" 12 ga loads

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm

No matter what velocity (the ones we chrono'd posted up around 1450 fps avg) but didn't hit the 1500 fps mark, I can tell you that they just plain worked and absolutely stoned everything we hit with the stuff. :hammer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am


Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BT Justice, Google Adsense [Bot] and 18 guests