Why Hevi Steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Why Hevi Steel

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

As previously mentioned, have re-acquired the 20 gauge MII I let a client talk me out of a couple seasons ago.

Took it out to the gun club the other day with some Hevi Steel (3" 1 oz. of #4 @1500FPS) and shot a couple of patterns using the factory IC & MOD tube(s).

The MOD placed ~139 pellets in a ~39"/36" area with a rather tight core area of ~26".

The IC placed ~164 pellets in a ~40"/36" area with a significant area of pellet dispersion and it appeared to have a killing zone of ~33" within this area.

I had shot Hevi Steel with much tighter LF/FULL extended tubes and even in the .680 Terror tube in the 12 gauges and was amazed at how far this stuff would flatten a bird.

IMO, this IC tube will probably be deadly on anything out to ~45 yards with this setup. Unfortunately, I only have the better part of a case of the stuff left onhand.

Am planning on posting up pics of some of these patterns once the camera is back in working order again.

The case of (20 ga.) Hevi Metal I had purchased several seasons ago patterned so poorly (my findings mirrored those of the 12 ga. results Joe Hunter observed) that I ended up giving it to some of the kids that hunt in our group(s).

Why EM decided to discontinue production of this particular product is a mystery to rival the trinity. Perhaps, the Hevi Steel name didn't conjur up the same marketing image(s) as Hevi Metal and/or Speed Ball which (IMO, as well as other guys' too) are a inferior value to Hevi Steel.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Re: Why Hevi Steel

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Start a petition to bring hevi-steel back. I'll be the first to sign! :thumbsup:

The 2's were the most deadly load there was on big mallards and geese.
BBK
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:02 am

I have always been told it was a cost effectiveness issue, but that was before ammo prices went through the roof. IMO charge folks 30-40 bucks a box for 25. Great shell, actually a buddy just got his hands on some 5's, plan on shooting a few of them this year.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:13 am

I talked to the Hevi Shot people at the Oregon Waterfowl Festival and the gal told me next year they are coming out with something along those lines but a little cheaper, cheaper than Hevi Metal. She did say the distance will be shorter, like 40 yds is it's max lethal distance or something like that. I didn't understand all she was saying but said to look for it next year. Contact them and ask and they'll most likely give you some info.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 am

Because its 100% based on marketing, most hunters don't pattern their shotgun, and everyone looks for ammo that will magically kill ducks regardless if they actually get the pattern on the bird or not.

Everyone wants the best shells that are cheap and they judge performance based on the name and what's on the box. Denser metal has its appeal but there is a certain point where people won't buy it. Lower quality shell, lower price, but significantly more expensive than regular steel (not Hevi Metal expensive) = sell more of the expensive stuff = more revenue.

The firearm industry really takes advantage of the lack of knowledge of most shooters, if its shiny, or tacticool, or has cool pictures, it typically sells.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 pm

steelheadslayer wrote:I talked to the Hevi Shot people at the Oregon Waterfowl Festival and the gal told me next year they are coming out with something along those lines but a little cheaper, cheaper than Hevi Metal. She did say the distance will be shorter, like 40 yds is it's max lethal distance or something like that. I didn't understand all she was saying but said to look for it next year. Contact them and ask and they'll most likely give you some info.

Her statement makes no sense as Hevi Steel (at the time) was (in today's dollars) in the same price range as today's Hevi Metal product. If it (the alleged "new" product) has a maximum lethal distance of 40 yards, what is the product, Hevi Ping Pong Balls? EM appears to be screwing up (marketingwise) in more ways than a country dog knows how to get to town. :oops:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Like I said, I didn't understand everything she told me as I was trying to figure that out myself. Maybe when it is introduced, we'll see what she meant, IDK.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes