Duck Hunting Forum banner

.410 favor

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Elvis Kiwi 
#1 ·
Ok I just bought my kids a new .410 single shot considering my oldest is still pretty gun shy of his 20ga even tho he killed a coot and a duck last year with it. I also have two more kids to grow into these guns so I figured a .410 would be in order. Anyway I know some of you guys are set up for .410 to reload do any of u guys think I could buy some better .410 steel shells than available from the factory's. If anyone set up just let me know about the load and name your price. I am going to get some of the xpert steel 6's so he can try and kill something opening weekend.

#2 ·
Load up some .410 ITX or hevi-shot and let him bang away. Really, how many shells can he shoot in a year with a single shot? Give him the best available and let him gain some confidence with shooting. I think it would be WELL worth it! Factory .410 ANYTHING is a ripoff at $12+ a box. I'm sure you can find some 1/2oz hevi-shot recipes somewhere. #7.5 would be perfect for that. You would be looking at about $1 a shell for the shot. For ITX you would be at about $0.60 a shell for the shot, for ITX 6's. So probably less than $1 a shell complete with ITX.

A used 600jr in .410 and a bag of ITX+ components and you and your kids can enjoy two hobbies together. Would be well worth it especially if you have more young ones coming of age.

#3 ·
+1;

that's a Big10-4 for the little 410..................

The little .410 is really an "Experts" shotgun and can be very frustrating to a young
hunter that has little training on the art of shooting. With enough practice the young
shooter will gain knowledge and do better than a shooter going in "Cold turkey".

#4 ·
well dmoney...you dont say where you are from but as you are talking steel you may be from the states. we are allowed lead still for the wee gun so we use it.
the others are right how many shells a year will they fire???
yip they cost but worth it.
what sort of .410 did you get???

#5 ·
I completely agree with what u guys are saying I was more hoping to buy some already loaded shells off someone already set up to load .410. I currently load 12ga for myself and a couple friends but don't really want to get into loading a whole other gauge. I want to buy him the hevi shot classic doubles but at $30 a box can't really justify it. It anyone can help me out would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
dakotashooter2 said:
It's really too bad they didn't exempt the 410 from the non tox regulations. It has such a small payload and has so few users the eco impact wouldn't even be noticable.
its a double edged sword
they exempted all sub guages here and sales of .20 went through the roof...soon that guage will go to steel should have gone sooner but however....
and as soon as the ammo companies pull finger and start producing some nice 1oz .12 ga loads so everyone can shoot without the kick...well we will all be better off and subguage sale will drop even further. the way we did it back in lead days was to give young fella a clay load for close ducks. plenty bang with stuff all boot :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.