When was TT still in factory ammo?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

When was TT still in factory ammo?

Postby kcidkcus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:41 pm

I picked up a box of TT Remington shells in 10 gauge. When we're these last made? I'm curious to see how they do. I bought em for the hell of it. Who knows? Might be the magic shell in my gun :lol3:
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Re: When was TT still in factory ammo?

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:20 pm

I dont recall ever seeing any factory ammo available with TT. Obviously it did exist because you found some. I do know that the major steel pellet mfgs quit making the TT size pellet about five or six years ago. About three years ago, there was none available for purchase except from individuals that happened to have some laying around. Obviously the lack of popularity with TT size shot has been the cause of its demise. We may see the same thing happen with B size shot in the future.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm

10gaOkie wrote:I dont recall ever seeing any factory ammo available with TT. Obviously it did exist because you found some. I do know that the major steel pellet mfgs quit making the TT size pellet about five or six years ago. About three years ago, there was none available for purchase except from individuals that happened to have some laying around. Obviously the lack of popularity with TT size shot has been the cause of its demise. We may see the same thing happen with B size shot in the future.

Chris

I found it in a pawn shop. It's Remington nitro steel TT
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm

i dug up an old Rem 10ga box. They are marked 1260fps and 88 pellets with Ts. Your TTs should be the same except for 78 pellets. I am not sure the max range with those TTs but I do know they will shoot clear through a big honker at 65 yards easy and thats at only 1260fps mv. The problem with TTs is holding pattern density at extended ranges which is the problem with TTTs also.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:26 pm

kcidkcus wrote:I found it in a pawn shop. It's Remington nitro steel TT

I remember when Oshmans used to carry it. I remember seeing TT, TTT, some variation of F's as well.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:38 pm

I have noticed a lot of stuff not being made anymore, I believe it doesn't have to do with "not performing" but the stores in the last 10 years won't buy anything that may not sell due to the economy. The lack of variety in stores no days is enough to make me sick. Even Walmart has stopped buying "specialty items" aka stuff that doesn't sell every day. It's a horrible domino effect.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby huntnut » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I stopped by the local Walmart today and they had almost no steel shot. Had a little shelf with maybe 10boxs on it. We have 3 of KAnsas biggest wetlands with in 60 miles and one is 3 miles out of town. I don't get it. Only thing is its been dry here for 3 years and guys weren't waterfowl hunting like the normal do, so maybe the didn't order any.
huntnut
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

over here your load can be /have no more energy than a lead #BB at 90 yards....always wonders how these new fancy newfangled heavi loads get on???
why 90 yards??? cause that how close you can site your stand/loo/maimai/blind to another person without their permission.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm

huntnut wrote:I stopped by the local Walmart today and they had almost no steel shot. Had a little shelf with maybe 10boxs on it. We have 3 of KAnsas biggest wetlands with in 60 miles and one is 3 miles out of town. I don't get it. Only thing is its been dry here for 3 years and guys weren't waterfowl hunting like the normal do, so maybe the didn't order any.

I checked our walmart two weeks ago. One box of xpert 1 1/8 #2. That was it. Few boxes of buck and lots and lots of slugs. Very few target loads as well. Its the ammo shortage, it effected shotgun as well. I was just in the local sporting goods shop yesterday and the manager (a friend) asked me about some shells and what to order. He got on his computer and the only thing in stock from ALL of his suppliers in steel shot duck loads was black cloud, blindside, and a couple cases of speed shok 1 1/8. He said he can't get any steel shot and when he can get it, he makes less than $1 a box profit due to the cost.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Same here at Walmarts. However, Academy Sports and Bass Pro has plenty. Kents are the only factory I ever buy anyway and I get those from either Bass Pro or Rogers Sporting Goods. There is no telling what the details are with Walmart but it seems to be most of the Walmarts all over.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby snowgoosin1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:08 am

The Walmart store where I live in Nebraska has experts, BC, hypersonic, rem sportsmans, about a week ago they also had win primers and some powders on hand also. Now if they could just get some 22 ammo
Get'n Paid
snowgoosin1
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 am

Hard to say as Remington discontinues things at will.
Look at the hulls, if they are the older type 10 ga hulls they will be a translucent dark green plastic. Those are around 30 years old, from the first days of steel shot. Newer hulls would be the Remington green color, either way shoot them up.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby JWG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 am

JWG
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:32 am

JWG wrote:1996

I remember them being on store shelves in 1995. If I dig enough I bet I could find a few boxes of it.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby huntnut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 am

I don't think its a shortage here. I can go 60 miles west to Great Bend where one of the wetlands are and they have case of steel shot on the floor. Just our local walmart has a dumb A## guy that only orders the bare minimum.
huntnut
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:32 pm

In all the Walmarts I have been to, in Okla, TX and KS have very little steel shot this year.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Same here in MN. I don't think it's up to individual stores on his much to order.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 pm

If I needed factory fodder, my first choice would be Kent Fasteel and Walmart doesnt carry it anyway. Bass Pro has plenty of Kent Fasteel. So........forget Walmart! The bad part is, there may not be a Bass Pro in your township.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

Swamp Gas wrote:Same here in MN. I don't think it's up to individual stores on his much to order.

Its not. The regional office orders the stock for all the walmarts depending on what is available at the time. Store managers can request items but it is up to the higher up to make the decisions.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 am

huntnut wrote:I don't think its a shortage here. I can go 60 miles west to Great Bend where one of the wetlands are and they have case of steel shot on the floor. Just our local walmart has a dumb A## guy that only orders the bare minimum.

But, you'll notice that all that steel shot is what was left over from last year.
Lots of 1oz/BBB's, 1 3/8oz 4's, other weird loads that no one bought in 2012. I check that Wal-Mart almost every day; they haven't had any useful steel...except the overpriced stuff; Black Cloud and Blind Side....in over a year. Fortunately, I stocked up in previous years and have enough for about 2 maybe 3 seasons on my shelves.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mjk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

The Walmart stores I check in this area typically have about a half-dozen boxes of Expert #2s. That is it. Plenty of slugs, though.
mjk
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes