Kent 3 1/2 FastSteel and Misfires.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Kent 3 1/2 FastSteel and Misfires.

Postby MrCamoClad » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:29 am

Hey Guys - after all the talk about how great Kent was - I bought a box of the FastSteel 1550 3 1/2 #2 to try out.

I just have to tell you that I am not through the box of 25 yet and I have had 2 mis-fires already.

When I pull the trigger there is a delay - then a 'pffffttt' sound and I see the wad and shot barely come out the end of my barrell - traveling about 10 ft. The first time it happend I didnt think anything of it - things happen - but now it happened again.

I know Kent is a cheaper shell - but 2 shells so far is not a good percentage seeing as it has never happened to me before while using Federal - Winchester or Remington shells.

Has anybody else experienced this problem - or did I just get a box of defaulty shells ??

:thumbsdown:
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:30 am

thats a bad box of shells. there should be a number to call on the box. call it. request a replacement (or 2) they will appreciate the info because there may be other problems with that batch
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:19 pm

I have shot about 5 boxes of #3 and 5 boxes of #4 3 1/2" without any issues.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 am

my 2 sons and I shoot at least 2 cases of Kent every year for the past several years and not one issue. They have been droped in the bay recovered and shot a day later. They have been in pockets full of water and never a problem.

I would contact Kent and they most likely will have you return the bad ammo to them(most places will even send you a shipping label) and then they should send you replacement ammo and Usually you get more back for your headache.

I sent in a 1/2 box to federal that had primer hits and did not fire. they sent me 4 boxes in return and they paid the shipping both ways.

I picked up a Remington 20ga loaded round lying in saginaw bay (under water). It had been there awhile as the head was completely rusted and flaking away. I cut it open and the shot was rusted into one clump but did come apart and would have probably patterned ok. I pulled out the wad and the powder was perfect and dry.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 pm

A buddy of mine had a friend who had similar problems, and Kent sent this guy a whole case for a few bad shells. That is some good CS there. :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby MrCamoClad » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - The only problem is that I threw the box away.

I am not looking for freebies - especially for shells that dont fire - but I will go to thier website to see if I can send them an email.

Thanks
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Lee Pete » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Weird maybe they were stored wrong. i've gone threw to many to count never had a misfire.
Lee Pete
hunter

Postby 2POP » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:43 am

I have been using these for about a year and have not had a problem UNTIL today.... We pulled up on a couple of mallards and CLICK!!!!! That is it for me..... :pissed:
2POP
hunter

Postby ducksbuck » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:14 am

I have had the same delayed and fizzled shots with Kent, but not enough to keep me away. Had 4 rounds out of 12 boxes last year, and 1 out of 15 boxes this year. I think it is from moisture. None of my field hunting rounds have ever done it.

If it was turkey or big bucks, that one misfire might piss me off, but with waterfowl, it is just a matter of minutes most days before my next shot. Has never ruined my day.
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes