Blind Side #5s????

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Blind Side #5s????

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:18 am

My local walmart has some in stock. i was wandering if anyone has tried these. thinking maybe a good wood duck load.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Blind Side #5s????

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:54 am

Square shot is not a new concept. It was developed over a hundred years ago for use in tightly or relatively tightly choked guns in the bocage region of France. The bocage is a very thick cover that offers only fleeting shots at departing gamebirds. The square shot was developed to open patterns quickly and was call dispersante (spreader). The shot was lead, the birds relatively frail and the range extremely close, thus any penetration issues didn't exist.

The problem with Blind Side, as I see it, is twofold. First, in order to get any range at all out of the load, the wad is designed to stay with the load for a longer period of time to suppress or retard the pattern bloom. High speed video shows this wad to stay with the shot for seven to 10 yards. From the patterning I've done with them (#2s, not #5s), even with the increased payload, you loose density for large ducks at 35 to 40 yards. And because of that wad, anything inside of 25 yards is hamburger if you center it. The other part of it is that the square (hex) shot, when measured on an equal basis with round shot, actually reduces penetration.

In my opinion, you can get twice the results with Xperts (which aren't top of the line) at half the price.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 am

Buy regular steel loads in #4 shot. Experts or Speed Shok will kill wood ducks hammer dead, they don't take much killing.
z51
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 pm

I wouldn't trust #5's for woodies, nor would I want to pay the price of blindside for woodies! The shots that woodies present might leave some shot in the meat with 5's. I like #4 shot for our early season when we are shooting woodies and teal. Speed shok #4's have always done well. Heck for woodies I bet xpert 4s would even be okay.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 pm

well all i shoot are expert 3in 1 1/8 BB for everything. just got a 50 dollar walmart gift card for trapping a few beavers and need to spend it on something.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:32 pm

clymerfowler wrote:well all i shoot are expert 3in 1 1/8 BB for everything. just got a 50 dollar walmart gift card for trapping a few beavers and need to spend it on something.

BB for woodies? :huh:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:37 pm

A5Gunner wrote:
clymerfowler wrote:well all i shoot are expert 3in 1 1/8 BB for everything. just got a 50 dollar walmart gift card for trapping a few beavers and need to spend it on something.

:lol3:

I suppose you only use a driver when playing golf as well?
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Shooting the blind side 5's through an IC choke my effective range was all of 25 yards. I've pretty much shelved them until I can get an early teal season in Louisiana next year.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:15 pm

BBK wrote:
A5Gunner wrote:

:lol3:

I suppose you only use a driver when playing golf as well?

There's a farmer I hunt with every year, and he shoots whatever shells he finds cheapest--which often is Xpert 1-1/8 oz #BB's. Doesn't seem like the best choice to my way of thinking, but it's hard to argue with him leaving the blind early with his 7 dead ducks. Thing is, I think he may be a better shot then I.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

now thats just plain weird...if not logged in/on walmart appears as a link to same. but not if logged in/on.
2nd vote for experts.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Forget the Blind Side for sure. One of the best patterning loads I have run across in a factory loading is the Win Expert 2 3/4" 1 1/16oz payload of #4s at 1550fps. This is an outstanding load and will do fine on any duck over decoys. Windy conditions is the only downfall of this load but out to 40 yards, its fine. I have bought several cases of this one load and it is killer. Beware, its not the same patterning load if you change pellet size. I have tried it in 3s and 2s and its just not the same.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby MK10 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 am

clymerfowler wrote:My local walmart has some in stock. i was wandering if anyone has tried these. thinking maybe a good wood duck load.

I used this particular load this year for large through to small ducks over decoys (i.e. shooting ranges inside of 30 yards). Using a combination of Improved Cylinder (0.010" constriction) and Modified (0.020" constriction) chokes out of my Beretta o/u, every duck was swatted (clean kills) with predominantly the IC choke.............very good decoying load, but fairly pricy. There are plenty of conventional steel loads out there that will do equally as well at this distance.
MK10
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

Yes BB. reason is i shoot 90 percent of my ducks out of corn fields while hunting geese also. So i just buy a case every year.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes