Pellet count help B/C and Blind side 3.5 in

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Pellet count help B/C and Blind side 3.5 in

Postby Airborne28 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Looking for some intel.

I have 3.5in B/C FS Steels #2s and #4s and 3in Blindsides #3s. Looking to see if anyone has a pellet count for my patterning info.
I have done the search feature and looked up on the internet and can't get a count.

I live on an Army post so I can't just cut one open. No way to dispose of it.

airborne
Airborne28
hunter

Re: Pellet count help B/C and Blind side 3.5 in

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Here's the pellet count for round steel loads, imagine BC & BS would be the same.

http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby bbs383ci » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 pm

I don't shoot either but I think blind side is supposed to have more pellets due to square pellets so they stack neatly in the shotcup. This is just going off if what I have seen. I would imagine bc is just normal steel.
bbs383ci
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 pm

BC should be the same as steel, maybe a tiny tiny bit less (10 pellets at most). Blind side could be way off.

The whole stacking thing is how they got 1 3/8 going the speed of 1 1/4, it might only be 10 more pellets than 1 1/4 regular steel.. or even 1 more. All of that would validate their (more shot due to stacking) concept. It is probably less than a 1 3/8 of normal round steel.

Why can't you cut one open again? Just flush the powder and toss the primer/hull in the trash.
BBK
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 am

I have personally cut open two different Bliind Side loads. (Provided by a hunting buddy). The pellets weren't stacked at all and were quite random in both. We were at the range and didn't bother to count pellets. If you are buying the artist concept and believe tiny Winchester elves are stacking BS shot for them I have a bridge for sale you may want to buy. As my buddy said, "who could have seen that coming". :lol3:
z51
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Here's some of my info on BS pellet count in 3" 12 ga loads that might be helpful. These numbers were derived from the in-shell counts from five shells I opened.

"Here are some additional numbers to show how the Hex Steel pellets measured up against normal spherical steel pellets. The 1 3/8-ounce No. 2 Hex Steel load contained an average of 176 pellets weighing 595.8 grains, an average of 3.39 grains/pellet. A 1 3/8-ounce load of spherical No. 2 steel pellets should contain about 170 pellets weighing 601.6 grains, approximately 3.53 grains/pellet. To get some idea of the diameter of these cubic-shaped pellets, I randomly selected 10 Hex Steel pellets and measured the width between one pair of opposing flat sides and the width between one pair of opposing corners with a micrometer. The width between the flats measured an average of almost .130 inches, the diameter of a No. 4 shot, and the width from corner to corner averaged just shy of .160 inches, the diameter of a No. 1 pellet.

The 1 1/4-ounce No. 2 Drylok steel load contained an average of 162 spherical steel pellets weighing 561.8 grains, an average of 3.47 grains /pellet. A 1 1/4-ounce load of No. 2 steel pellets should contain about 155 pellets weighing 546.9 grains, approximately 3.53 grains/pellet. Measuring 10 randomly selected pellets showed an average diameter of .150-inch which is right on for a No. 2 pellet."

Hope this helps.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes