20 Ga RSI steel loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

20 Ga RSI steel loads

Postby BT Justice » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:35 am

Looking at the 20 ga RSI loads for the wife to use. Up until now I was just buying factory loads as she didn't go hunting with us all that much, just want to try something different for her.
Do the 20 ga RSI loads give listed velocities or am I going to have to mess with them like so many of their other loads.
Looking at 7/8 oz steel loads for her.
BT Justice
hunter

Re: 20 Ga RSI steel loads

Postby Rob MacK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:31 am

I don't recall it being off enough to worry. I am looking for my log book but it seems to have been missplaced (I just moved a few weeks ago). It should be documented there. I will look tonight when I get home. A friend wanted some 1s and 3s for his 20ga those loads 7/8oz did pretty well for 35 yd shots at the pattern board and in the field. It was a Mossberg pump with Carlsons LM extended choke.

Not as much help as I would like to be, I will see what I can find for you.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 am

Since she doesn't go that often or shoot that much you may find that this would be an ideal application for TSS, however if you don't want her to be too successful then use anything else LOL.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby grnhd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 am

Cant help with any RSI loads but I've got a good one using the VP61 that my son has been shooting using cheddite hulls if you want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Joe I loaded up some RSI 118 to pattern. I only ran 2 over the chrony and I had 1416 and 1420 fps @ 3' from the muzzle. Listed velocity is 1430. They averaged 66% at 40 yards and 75% at 35 yards through a jap browning mag 20 with a fixed modified choke. I never hunted with them, just checked them out.
dog walker
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm

BT I got a lot better patterns and consistency with the bpi CSD-20 wads. Don't know what your after but the 2 3/4 ounce top gun load with 4's was a great performer for my son and VERY easy to load.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 pm

FYI I don't know what bpi is calling the CSD 20 anymore. And my experience was with a beretta 3901 urika 2
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby BT Justice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:49 am

lostknife4 wrote:Since she doesn't go that often or shoot that much you may find that this would be an ideal application for TSS, however if you don't want her to be too successful then use anything else LOL.
Lost

:lol3: :lol3:
So what your suggesting is I spend the extra money and take extra time to make her shells so she can embarrass me.
Gee thanks...I'm a bit into the male superiority thing so I might just let her stick with steel shot loads... :grooving:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check out the CSD wad offerings and see what they have. I just hadn't heard that much about the RSI 20 ga loads and if they worked or not.
I have a bunch of Federal 3" hulls so I'm gonna find something that works with them.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 am

BT Justice wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Since she doesn't go that often or shoot that much you may find that this would be an ideal application for TSS, however if you don't want her to be too successful then use anything else LOL.
Lost

:lol3: :lol3:
So what your suggesting is I spend the extra money and take extra time to make her shells so she can embarrass me.
Gee thanks...I'm a bit into the male superiority thing so I might just let her stick with steel shot loads... :grooving:

I'm giving you a choice, if you want her to enjoy the experience and be more successful and you want her along then yes by all means, I'm sure she would delight in embarrassing you, all women do LOL. But if you would rather she doesn't like the sport all that much then certainly handy-capping her with more noise and recoil than is necessary along with it being a sub gauge gun so that her success ratio is a bit compromised then by all means use something else.
Sounds noble doesn't it LOL
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes