Choke Tubes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Choke Tubes

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi guys... I have recently started to get into field hunting the last few years. Between decoys, equipment, fields, and everything that is involved in field hunting, the only thing I think I could stand to up grade on is a new choke tube. I shoot a 12 gauge browning gold hunter and was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for a different choke tube for this gun. I would like to find a choke tube that would give me a more consistent pattern and more range. Any ideas for me? Thanks a lot…

Matt
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:11 pm

I shoot an A5 and1 use a browning modified choke in the filed. The pattern is pretty tight and the range is decent, but it really does some damage at around 10-12 yds!
dirtyj
hunter

Re: Choke Tubes

Postby thaner » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:17 pm

NWiowaCutinGreen wrote:Hi guys... I have recently started to get into field hunting the last few years. Between decoys, equipment, fields, and everything that is involved in field hunting, the only thing I think I could stand to up grade on is a new choke tube. I shoot a 12 gauge browning gold hunter and was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for a different choke tube for this gun. I would like to find a choke tube that would give me a more consistent pattern and more range. Any ideas for me? Thanks a lot…

Matt

What do your patterns look like and at what range now? What are you using for a choke? It would help to know what your base point is before you start making changes.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Hey Thaner... I patterned my shotgun a while back and found that my modified choke patterns really well from about 15 to 35 yards. I shot the same shells, which were Winchester expert hi-velocity, and I found them to pattern the best. I had a few other random shells lying around and found that the Winchester shells were the best. Once I start getting out around 40 yards my gun patterns really funny. I never have really known how far and dense a pattern should be with a standard choke tube. I was just wondering if there was any one brand of choke tubes that I should check into, or if I should continue testing my shotgun with different shells. I would like a more consistent pattern at that 40 to 50 yard range if at all possible. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Matt
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:51 am

if u like the modified pattern, get an extended mod or skeet II from a place like carlsons and see how that does. www.choketube.com

also, what size shot and load are u using? most waterfowlers use shot that is much larger than necessary or ideal. a drop in size would make a big improvement on ur pattern without changing anything else.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:26 pm

Well I patterned a few different loads. I first patterned 3" 3 shot, and then I also patterned 2 shot. I wouldn't probably shoot much larger shot than that for puddler ducks. I normally would start the season off with 4's or 5's. I was just curious to see how my late season pattern look, maybe I should try shooting some 4's and 5's to see what the difference was. I also patterned some BB and BBB Kent fast steel for geese.

What size target should you pattern with? I used some construction paper that I had around the house that was 24" x 18". Wasn't for sure how large of a target to pattern with...

Also, has anyone had success with Pure Gold or Kicks High Flyer choke tubes?!

Thanks Matt
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 pm

get a roll of xmas wrapping paper on sale and use 40"x40" pieces on a sheet of plywood. the back of xmas paper is normally white. i use a ton of it.

i draw the outline of 4 ducks on the paper, and if i kill all 4 with the shot, its a good one. too large shot and too tight chokes wont kill all 4
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby critter stuffer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:20 pm

I have a browning gold and am having good results with Wad Wizard choke tubes. But each gun is different. My partner shoots an identical gun and his factory tubes do better in his gun. Each load is differnt too. For instance, Hevi Steel 3'' shells pattern best out of a .675 terror tube at 40 yards but the 31/2'' shells pattern better out of the Wad Wizard at the same range. It takes some time and effort to figure it out but its the best way to do it (Patterning your gun).
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Pattern paper;

Home Depot in roofing dept has a 5 or 6" roll of brown paper that

is 36" wide for a good price. :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 pm

of course the more expensive the better they perform.....

:salude: :thumbsup:
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes