help with choke for nova pump

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

help with choke for nova pump

Postby fito » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:42 pm

:salude: happy chrismas to all of you !!!!!

I want to buy a choke for medium ducks and snows, I own a bennelli nova, I will be shooting # 2 and #4 lead most of the time, and sometimes BB steel on snows. What brand of choke do you recommed. Price is an issue

thanks
fito
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:45 pm

factory modified. cant beat the price or performance. if u want to go fancy, geta an extended skeet 2 (imp-mod is about the same) from a place like carlsons. www.choketube.com

keep the speed of ur lead at or below 1250fps (1150fps lead buffered 2's in an imp-mod or full choke will kill geese past 70 yards) and forget about the steel.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:51 pm

:withstupid: Ditto...my factory mod crushes EVERYTHING :thumbsup:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby fito » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:33 pm

:salude: by factory, you mean the one that comes with the gun right?
fito
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:55 am

yep. :thumbsup:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:37 am

I think you are just teasing us with your ability to shoot lead down there...wish we still could!
:thumbsup:
apexhunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:26 pm

I have a nova and just switched to a cabelas hevi-shot choke (modified) using 3in #2s. I tested it with lead on dove season and worked quite a bit better than the factory choke. :salude:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:55 pm

a tighter restriction is necessary for the tiny doves. it is a handicap on larger birds like snows and ducks......
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby mtroup » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:25 am

i use the extra-full flush mount choke from carlson's and i love it.. it's not handicap for me on ducks.. i usually shoot BB and it works excellent.. one thing about shooting a tight pattern is that you either hit it or miss it.. very few wounded.. it definitely helped me improve my shot.
mtroup
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:02 pm

a tight choke is not a "hit or miss". tight chokes throw tight patterns USUALLY, but they also throw "flyers". these flyers are what end up in the birds butt and it flies away to die in the woods somewhere. u think u missed, and you did thanks to a pattern thats too tight to hit the bird, but the bird still died.

other times the super tight choke actually throws the pattern wider than a more open choke would. i have a full choke for a baikal that throws a wider pattern than my modified with EVERY load. the gun owner swears by his "ultra-full" and wont give it up for anything, till he patterns it and see's what is really going on...

shooting BB's thru an extra-full for decoying birds is poor advise to give to amateur shooters and beginning hunters. if it works for you, great. but an i/c and 4's work better. ive hunted with a few guys who shot PM's or super-fulls with BB's or 1's at woodies. when they finally tried a coupla shells of mine in an i/c, they changed their tune pretty quickly..... :cool:
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby JRockandCash6 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Hey I own a supernova and using the factory mod choke I couldnt hit anything. I usually do real well so I patterned it and found the hi vel win shells were all over. I then bought a carlson I/M choke that was extended and switched to Kent. Been lights out ever since. But I do have a patternmaster on the way.
JRockandCash6
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes