Water and shotgun shells

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Water and shotgun shells

Postby Trey » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:16 am

What effect does getting water on shot gun shells have on the shot pattern? For variuos reasons, either while putting out decoys in early a.m. or crossing a pond I have stepped in too deep and have gotten some shells wet. With cold weather does the water freeze the shots together and create slugs or clumps of shots? I do try to keep them dry and have some in plastic bag just in case!
Trey
hunter

Postby tome » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:07 am

tell you one effect it does have..steel rusts..shells get wet..i shot a federal 3" that was from previous seaseos..the hull, wad & shot must have went down the barell in one piece..the hull lodged in the forcing cone..i thougkt the gun blew up..a gun smith had to turn the hull out of the barell,,a federal shell & a BPS shotgun..the BPS action is strong
tome
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:59 pm

that is one of the reasons i dont use shells that get wet.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:03 pm

I have dropped shells in water, fished them out and fired them with no problems. There are some good ones out there. Some claim to be completely sealed. I try not to shoot the wet ones, but when you are broke and running out of ammo you will shoot anything.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes