Went for the first time???

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Went for the first time???

Postby Dyllan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 am

I'm home on leave (military) and went duck hunting with my brother yesterday. I have a Remington Gold Hunter 3 1/2 12 guage. He told me to use my Mod. choke and gave me 3" shells (can't remember what size) Anyhow, I've been shooting trap and skeet for about a year and it just seemed to me that the ducks wasn't close enough for Mod.,,, but he has been hunting duck for years. Needless to say I did not take any down, put my 13 yr. old boy got one, that made it worth wild for me. What choke do you use for Fl. ducks and what shot???
Thanks,
Dyllan
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at
night only because rough men stand ready to do
violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
Dyllan
hunter

Postby Crawfish » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:49 am

:welcome:
Steel will pattern about one choke size tighter than lead. Mod should be good. If they are close (less than 30 yards) go with Improved. You would not want to use a full choke. You will want to pattern your gun on paper at different ranges to know for sure. :thumbsup:

Shot size #2's to #4's steel should work fine. I like #3's or #4's
Crawfish
hunter

Chokes

Postby Dyllan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:11 am

Well I didn't get any due to the fact I think I was leading them way too far. I'm use to skeet and thought I had to lead these ducks the same way,,,,,, wrong. For years I didn't go duck hunting with my brother thinking why would I want to stand in the water, get wet, and stay cold, (pretty much what I've done the 18 yrs. I've been in the military) well, he told me years ago, if I went I'd be hooked,,,, well he was right!!!! Getting ready to head back to Iraq off leave and I know I'll be duck hunting when I get back (God willing) Thanks for your intel. you've been a big help. I never knew that steel shot, shoots 1 choke tighter then lead,,,,never knew that,,, thanks,
Dyllan
USN
SpecWar
Group FOUR
-George Orwell
Dyllan
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:38 am

Remember those skeet targets are going fast the second you see them. If the ducks are coming into decoys they are slowing down and shouldn't be moving that fast. Also remember those skeet loads are probably 1200 fps and the steel loads could be 1400 fps or faster. Lead will care velocity longer but at closer ranges the difference between #8 or #9 lead and larger steel will probably have the steel still moving faster. I would decently cut down a little on the lead for decoy shooting and see how that works. I have the same problem with target vs. duck speed. Every year I miss some ducks the first day because I am way out in front of them. A year of targets between duck seasons will mess you up for a while. Steel and lead don’t shoot the same.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 am

Dyllan!!! :welcome: And thanks for your sacrifice in Iraq, hopefully you will be able to spend more time duck hunting next season. Crawfish has given good advise, mod is the tightest you will need and IC may be even better for anything inside 30 yards. My favorite all purpose load is 1 3/8 oz. of #3 shot @ 1550 fps. for over dekes 3" 1 1/8 oz. #4 @ 1550 fps. Come home safely and soon. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:13 am

i think iraq has ducks. you might be able to get some practice in befor you go state side again. most places around the world has ducks of some kind.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Ducks in Iraq

Postby Dyllan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:18 pm

Yea the only duck I hope to get is a follower of Bin Ladon haha
-George Orwell
Dyllan
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes