USFWS Non-toxic shot sizes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

USFWS Non-toxic shot sizes

Postby RMc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:56 am

What are the largest and smallest non-toxic shot sizes approved for waterfowl by the USFWS?
Last edited by RMc on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
RMc
hunter

Re: USFWS Non-toxic shot sizes

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:59 am

RMc wrote:What are the largest and smallest non-toxic shot sizes approved for waterfowl by the USFWS.

Seriously?
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby RMc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 am

Yes, seriously.
RMc
hunter

Postby RMc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:43 am

Let me rephrase the question:

Is it true the USFWS approves non-toxic shot composition but not shot sizes, (pellet diameter)?
RMc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 am

The only shot sizes I've ever heard being restricted is some refuges (state? Federal?) prohibit F shot and larger...but this is not universal.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I think it's a state issue.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 pm

RMc wrote:What are the largest and smallest non-toxic shot sizes approved for waterfowl by the USFWS?

The only thing federal is a maximum of #FF. So, smaller than 4B. There have been several guys busted for shooting dead coyote hevi-shot 4B at geese. Buckshot is illegal no matter what it is made of.

So #FF is the answer to one of your questions. The other has no restriction, guess it would be #12 since that is the smallest shot I am aware of.

But each state regulates it down even farther. Some states have a maximum of #2 non-tox and #BB, #BBB, or #T maximum for steel. You'll have to check your state regulations for that.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Lead BB was the heaviest pellet allowed for waterfowl. 8.76grain for chilled lead. If you look up most heavier than lead shot it is limited to size B. For example Hevishot. Most states use the chilled lead BB weight as the limiting factor for nontox shot size. A steel T is slightly under at 8.413grain. An F steel pellet is 11.218gr and is the reason some states do not allow there use. ITX at 10gcc is limited to BB at 7.47grain each and ITX 13gcc list the #2 size at 5.2grain each. I do not have any other pellet charts to share.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby RMc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:13 pm

BBK wrote:
RMc wrote:What are the largest and smallest non-toxic shot sizes approved for waterfowl by the USFWS?

The only thing federal is a maximum of #FF. So, smaller than 4B. There have been several guys busted for shooting dead coyote hevi-shot 4B at geese. Buckshot is illegal no matter what it is made of.

So #FF is the answer to one of your questions. The other has no restriction, guess it would be #12 since that is the smallest shot I am aware of.

But each state regulates it down even farther. Some states have a maximum of #2 non-tox and #BB, #BBB, or #T maximum for steel. You'll have to check your state regulations for that.

I understand the state regulation aspect. Can you cite a source reference for your information on Federal regulations?
RMc
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Absolutely, as soon as the government decides to get its rump back in gear and opens up the USFW website.

I found it two years ago when I was researching NICE shot and other approved non-tox loads.
BBK
hunter

Postby RMc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 pm

BBK wrote:Absolutely, as soon as the government decides to get its rump back in gear and opens up the USFW website.

I found it two years ago when I was researching NICE shot and other approved non-tox loads.

During my own research, prior to the partial Federal shutdown, the only non-toxic shot information I could locate on the USFWS website had to do with approved non-toxic shot composition - not size. So a reference would be helpful. Thanks.
RMc
hunter

Postby RMc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 pm

This is the only information on approved non-toxic shot located. Again only shot type and not shot size/diameter are addressed.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Curre ... ntoxic.htm
RMc
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 am

I'll look tomorrow when I get a chance. Not sure exactly where I found it so it will take a bit of searching. I'll get back to you with what I find, or didnt find.
BBK
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:37 am

I suspect it is more a safety factor thany anything else.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby RMc » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:52 pm

RMc wrote:This is the only information on approved non-toxic shot located. Again only shot type and not shot size/diameter are addressed.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Curre ... ntoxic.htm

??????
RMc
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes