Duck Hunting Forum banner

The 675 and 720 terror too tight for for big shot

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  DuckmanOK 
#1 ·
so I feel like I maybe going crazy but my win 1200 with a 675 with bbb and fs get higher % and more even patterns than my gold 10 with a 720 so whats going on here but my 12ga loads are 1475ish and the 10ga 1500 plus with an 11/2 and that's at 50yds

#4 ·
From my understanding, the itallian barrels are known for this-Benellis, especially with the 655, 675? the 700 is all u need in a Benelli, and they run fine "good luck finding one" the 700 is still available for the SBE1, but not the Crio, My 675 in my SX3 is incredible with BBBs! Like Chris said, Terrors like speed, and Kents!!

#5 ·
From my understanding, the itallian barrels are known for this-Benellis, especially with the 655, 675? the 700 is all u need in a Benelli, and they run fine "good luck finding one" the 700 is still available for the SBE1, but not the Crio, My 675 in my SX3 is incredible with BBBs! Like Chris said,1s-3s, throw very nice, Terrors like speed, and Kents!!

#6 ·
I might add.... since I found the combo of the SBE, Terror and Kent ammo was such a good one. I carried the thought of using the same components to my reloads that are used in the Kent factory shells. This is the Ched primer, Ched hull and B&P wad. By doing this, I feel that it has been very benficial in taking a short cut finding the loads that pattern best. If I had not stuck with this theory of mine, I would never have come up with the HG load.

Chris

#7 ·
your not crazy,from my humble experience with .705 .720 .735 terrors they didnt work for me either using large lettered payloads above 11/2oz at velocity in excess of 1480fps.,i did fone SRM ,(yes its fine to defy logic go ahead and use with bbb tt etc through .705 constriction-lasted less than 20 rounds of patterning..)i went to a briley i/m then l/f and the difference is night and day.,see for yourself.
(you could try dropping the velocity with your 11/2oz load to between 1450-1500fps lowering the PSI and tightening the pattern in itself.)
if you can imagine trying to push 21/8oz lead load eqiv. at what i consider fast velocity for the payload (1450-1500fps)then you begin to have an insight on just what your trying to achieve here.

this is the first thread ive read where two people have admitted that theyve bulged their terror chokes by trying to re invent basic ballistics with large pellet sizes and choke constrictions,pressures etc ;count me in too (.705 10ga)so thats 3 of us..
i measured the outerwall of the meloned .705 choke passed the threads and its stretched by 3thou in diameter.,scary stuff,dont do it.

#8 ·
Take the exact same shells and shoot them through your factory modified choke in the gold ten gauge. Then come back here and tell us you are getting a higher percentage with the 12ga.

There are a few guys here that claim good patterns with them ( 720 terror in a 10ga) but the guys who I know and trust who have patterned these chokes all say they are the abomination that common sense says they should be.

Do yourself and others a favor. Just go shoot the factory modified choke with the big pellets and let us know how many you get at 50 in a 30 inch circle.

I am quite sure you will be very happy.Jeff

#9 ·
solway gunner said:
goose_gunner said:
so I feel like I maybe going crazy but my win 1200 with a 675 with bbb and fs get higher % and more even patterns than my gold 10 with a 720 so whats going on here but my 12ga loads are 1475ish and the 10ga 1500 plus with an 11/2 and that's at 50yds
this is the first thread ive read where two people have admitted that theyve bulged their terror chokes by trying to re invent basic ballistics with large pellet sizes and choke constrictions,pressures etc ;count me in too (.705 10ga)so thats 3 of us..
i measured the outerwall of the meloned .705 choke passed the threads and its stretched by 3thou in diameter.,scary stuff,dont do it.
There were a lot of them bulged in the spaghetti guns from what I have been told, they apparently have different seating depths than other shotguns do for their choke tubes.
I know several guys who hunt religiously every year with them and have never heard one complaint. What I don't understand is I've showed you my patterns vs yours with other choke tubes, I've gotten much better patterns with many loads shot through the Terrors than you have, and you still claim they are junk. I know I've shot more F steel through my .705 than anybody else has or at least I think so, has not swollen at all and I Miked the tube before and after.
As far as Mr Umatillas comments...sounds like my cheap azz neighbor down the street who says his Dodge truck works and drives just as good ay my Chevy...he's to cheap to buy one but has an opinion on them based on other peoples comments.

#10 ·
I was told by its previous owner, that my .675 Terror had a steady diet of 1 1/4oz BBBs. So I dont know this to be absolute truth about my choke. But I dont doubt it either. It is swelled enough that it wont fit two of my barrels but fits one of them so I can still used it in that one gun. First off, I have never seen a need to shoot bigger pellets than #1s through any of my Benelli Terror chokes. I think its a good practice to stick with.

Chris

#11 ·
I have patterned tons of tight chokes with big shot and the result is always the same. blown patterns.

yea.. You did have some good patterns with your load. Your load was also a full 1 3/4 as I recall with steel F shot. While you have the luxury of a pressure gun, the rest of us do not. If we want to compare apples to oranges that is fine but at leats be honest about that as well.

I also recall you telling us that the load didn't work well. When I had my Browning, I had a load with 4756 that was flat wicked with F's. It did in the neighborhood 5o pellets at 50 yards and it was flat WICKED in the field.

Why was your load not just as wicked? Jeff

#12 ·
ok here are the details all loads loaded with sam1 wads I was shooting 23/4in 12ga with .675 11/8oz of bbbs in a gm hull listed at 1475fps 1st was 35 of 70 hits 2nd 28 of 70 3rd 43 and the f shot load was a remake estate 23/4in 11/8 that 28 of 45 at 50yds and the 10ga was 11/2 oz of b and at 50yds 1st 48 hits of 128 2nd 51 of 128 3rd 95 of 128 then same load with bbb whent from 48 to 51 to 56 if memory serves load was 43.5 gr of steel win hull 11/2oz of shot sam1 1 1/8in felt over 1 under so pleases understand im just trying to find what works the best out there even if it means slowing down my loads new chokes ect and I also wanted to see if you guys had the same issues or any tips ideas ect

#13 ·
UmatillaJeff said:
I have patterned tons of tight chokes with big shot and the result is always the same. blown patterns.

yea.. You did have some good patterns with your load. Your load was also a full 1 3/4 as I recall with steel F shot. While you have the luxury of a pressure gun, the rest of us do not. If we want to compare apples to oranges that is fine but at leats be honest about that as well.

I also recall you telling us that the load didn't work well. When I had my Browning, I had a load with 4756 that was flat wicked with F's. It did in the neighborhood 5o pellets at 50 yards and it was flat WICKED in the field.

Why was your load not just as wicked? Jeff
I could only imagine the pressures the 4756 load was generating, not your fault or any one else's but the people who published it. Steel powder could only get 1310 fps from 1 3/4 oz loads and it was at max pressures, we tried 1 5/8 oz and 1 1/2 oz loads also for more speed. We just killed more geese with BBB or T steel than we did with the F shot loads, so I dumped using the F steel as it seemed like a waste of time trying any more combinations. As I stated in another post that was over the course of 2 years trying F steel on Canada's and snows on different hunts, not just me but a hunting partner who shot a Gold 10 also, we both went back to BBB steel and got better results.
My big gripe is I used to sell the Terrors for SRM, I never got one back from anybody or any complaints either. I never sold any for the spaghetti guns because I knew there were quite a few problems there.
Most of the ones I did sell for 10 ga guns were to guys that were die hard hunters, got a phone call from one guy after his first hunt with the Terrors in his Gold 10, told me his shot to kill ratio went from about 3-4 shells per bird with factory chokes down to 1-2 shells with the Terror Tubes...he was happy.

#14 ·
goose_gunner said:
ok here are the details all loads loaded with sam1 wads I was shooting 23/4in 12ga with .675 11/8oz of bbbs in a gm hull listed at 1475fps 1st was 35 of 70 hits 2nd 28 of 70 3rd 43 and the f shot load was a remake estate 23/4in 11/8 that 28 of 45 at 50yds and the 10ga was 11/2 oz of b and at 50yds 1st 48 hits of 128 2nd 51 of 128 3rd 95 of 128 then same load with bbb whent from 48 to 51 to 56 if memory serves load was 43.5 gr of steel win hull 11/2oz of shot sam1 1 1/8in felt over 1 under so pleases understand im just trying to find what works the best out there even if it means slowing down my loads new chokes ect and I also wanted to see if you guys had the same issues or any tips ideas ect
Here's the RS1 10 ga Winchester load using the Federal 209A instead of the Winchester primers, 1 1/2 oz of BB's shot through the 705 Terror at 45 yards. I've used this combination in the field and it's affective to 55 yards on Canada's and 60 yards on Snows.
It's your choice of choke tubes, BTW I admit this pattern seems to be a little low on the paper, but you'll get the idea.

#15 ·
I have an SBE II. I shoot 1 7/16 oz. BBB regularly through a .700 Carlson Crio Ext. choke without problems. Patterns run 89%. The bore diameter of the SBE II is .723. Therefore my constriction is .023 which as I recall means I have a slightly tight Imp. Mod. constriction. If you are shooting a .675 Terror, I am not surprised you are ruining your chokes. Your constriction in your SBE II is .048. I don't even know what they call that! :eek: The warnings are out there; don't use over tight chokes with large shot. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

#16 ·
goose_gunner said:
your patterns are approx low 36% to 73% with bs and 52% to 61% with bbb;try this-even if they come pre split ,re slit your sam1s to the bottom of the cup as the factory slitting benefits from "finishing off by hand" :wink: ,drop that load to 42grns steel powder only and use a fed209a primer.
omit the felt you dont need it with BBB.,try it with your terror,see how it fairs.,if you want to no what to expect from a briley l/f extended (.743)expect around 72% @50yrd for 1466fps average,shoots nice n soft and works comfortable to 60yrds on 6-8lb geese.

#17 ·
solway gunner said:
goose_gunner said:
your patterns are approx low 36% to 73% with bs and 52% to 61% with bbb;try this-even if they come pre split ,re slit your sam1s to the bottom of the cup as the factory slitting benefits from "finishing off by hand" :wink: ,drop that load to 42grns steel powder only and use a fed209a primer.
omit the felt you dont need it with BBB.,try it with your terror,see how it fairs.,if you want to no what to expect from a briley l/f extended (.743)expect around 72% @50yrd for 1466fps average,shoots nice n soft and works comfortable to 60yrds on 6-8lb geese.[/quote

I think im going to run the terror for the rest of this season and in that load I am using the 209a and I changed the spacers to under shot and im only using them to bring the shot up for a better crimp I hope that helps it out im just trying not to change it too much I don't think I will have time to get out and pattern more this year ps if you really think the extra splitting helps that much I will try it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.