Remington 1100 patterns out there.....Anyone?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Remington 1100 patterns out there.....Anyone?

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Public confession:

This season will be my second waterfowl season since a very, very long hiatus.
Very long as in 1978 or so. It seems like I must have fallen off the edge of the earth
and finally I'm back again.

Even though I only hunted the final two days of last season, it was truly great...
even like a thing of beauty packed into 48 hours. I am really anticipating
the coming season and slowly gearing up for it.

This past summer, I bought a hardly used Remington 1100 Magnum, equal or better
than what I saved up for and bought new as a 15 yr. old. The last northern mallards
that semi-auto hammered, were from a flock that I watched dive out of the clouds
by twos, threes, fives and sixes for about an hour and a half.

This happened in the forks of the Angelina-Neches river bottom while deer hunting.
I finally decided to shuck out the buckshot, replace with Remington Peters No.4 shot
and sneek up on them belly crawling through the hardwood bottoms. That flock
numbered in the area of 500 to 1,000 birds and something I had never seen before.

So, the native returns, and in returning, I have alot of questions, please bear with me.
One of which, is wanting to see what patterns a Remington 1100 Mag will do, which
I have not done yet. All this talk of patterning is intriguing, not even to mention reloading.

If any of you all have any Remington 1100 patterns to show, please post and include barrel length,
choke, shot size, distance, etc.
Comments, suggestions, advice very much welcomed.
Thanks!
Last edited by Frodo Bags'em on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Re: Remington 1100 patterns out there.....Anyone?

Postby goose_gunner » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 pm

I hate to break it to you but no 2 guns chokes loads ect will do the same thing from one to another so you will need to go out and pattern the loads you pick with your gun and chokes at the ranges you hunt for me I pattern all my 12ga guns at 40yds 90% of my shots are 30yds or less over deeks but its nice to know you can take the long shots when you need to on ducks I have found that most 12ga guns will NOT pattern vary good with any thing bigger than 1 shot ie bb bbb and t so if I where you I would look at 4s 3s and 2s hard maybe even 1s if all your shooting is green heads
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

goose_gunner is correct: Every gun patterns a little differently, so to know how your particular choke and load combination will perform you will need to shoot some patterns.

That being said, here's a series of patterns fired from 30, 40, & 50 yards with my 1187 (virtually identical to 1100's), using an Improved Modified choke and Kent Fasteel:

This might give you an idea where to start. Good luck!
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Frodo -- Here's another post that has some patterning info and my pattening numbers from an 870 barrel to give you an idea of what you might get with rem-choke barrels, 1100, 11-87 or 870s.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=311305

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I have an 1100 Mag with a fixed Mod, only patterned it with one load for my father who is using it. 10gaOakies load, with a wad sub, VP65 instead of B&P.

1 1/8th 2s 35 yards
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 am

I have an older 1100 3" magnum with a fixed full choke and I have shot everything from my own loads to heavy shot through it and with the exception of my hand load I prefer the best shooting rounds for me are the factory xpert 3" #2s 1550fps. Last year was my girlfriends first year hunting and I figured there would be a lot of poor shots made but with those xpert shells she was hitting probably 4 out of 5 birds out to 50yds. I would have to say that they pattern pretty well out of my 1100.
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Goose,
Where can I find those pintail targets?

Bug Doc wrote:goose_gunner is correct: Every gun patterns a little differently, so to know how your particular choke and load combination will perform you will need to shoot some patterns.

That being said, here's a series of patterns fired from 30, 40, & 50 yards with my 1187 (virtually identical to 1100's), using an Improved Modified choke and Kent Fasteel:

This might give you an idea where to start. Good luck!
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Those are actually Photoshop images. I just shoot plain white paper, then use Photoshop to process the pattern. I can do it in about the same time it takes to draw in hits and circles by hand, and they're much easier to look at.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 pm

So you take a picture of the white paper after shooting, then put dots over each hole and watermark the duck/circle in? That is a good idea!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I have two 1100's and got my best patterns using the extended Carlson chokes. I suggest getting a set of three and they will exchange chokes if you don't get good patterns. Good luck. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes