which shells to buy???

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Elvis Kiwi 
#1 ·
I am about to buy 2 cases of shells, but do not know which would be better

12 guage
3 1/2" 1 3/8 oz. #2 1550 fps
or
3 1/2" 1 9/16 oz. #2 1350 fps

I have always understood that the more oz you have the more pellets you have also, but with loosing the fps will it actually mater in the killing/wounding ability. opinions please

#2 ·
What are you shooting?

The happy place is right where you skipped over, 1 1/2 at 1500fps. Ultimate long-range duck load.

If you are shooting over decoys the 1 3/8 will be perfect. If you are shooting 40yds+ I would opt for one size bigger pellet and the 1 9/16. The increase in shot size will make up for some of the lost speed. Again, the ideal load would be 1 1/2 since it has a heavy payload for long shots yet plenty of speed (they actually clock around 1420-1450 in the federal line-up)

#3 ·
First, yes, the more charge weight you have, the more shot you'll have, with everything else being equal. But the question is what does that do for you? Anyone who tells you that more shot allows you to use a more open choke and get a wider spread and help your shooting just plain doesn't know what they're talking about. Now, you might get a couple of inches in effective pattern diameter, but in the grand scheme of things, that really isn't going to matter. And, the purpose of those long 12ga shells is really to up the pellet count WITH LARGE STEEL SHOT. With normal duck shot, these shells are completely unnecessarily.

My guess is that if you are asking that question, you'd be better off with something like a good quality round steel shot load in 3 inch 1 1/4oz at about 1400 to 1450fps. Sized and choked correctly, that load will kill ducks far beyond where you are capable of hitting them. With the money you'll save on shells, get out and shoot some clays. It'll do more for you than a case of canon fodder.

Frank

#4 ·
Cypress_Bend said:
I am about to buy 2 cases of shells, but do not know which would be better
12 guage
3 1/2" 1 3/8 oz. #2 1550 fps or 3 1/2" 1 9/16 oz. #2 1350 fps
I have always understood that the more oz you have the more pellets you have also, but with loosing the fps will it actually mater in the killing/wounding ability. opinions please
The 1350fps MV is plenty fast enough; you'll run out of pattern density about the same time you run out of penetration, depending on choking, of course.
The 1550 load will run out of pattern density before it runs out of penetration...again, depending on choking.
It's all a compromise.

Either load will kill ducks out to where you shouldn't shoot anymore. The important thing is to pattern each load in your gun and see if one produces better patterns. Patterns are the determining factor, not payload or velocity.

#6 ·
It's really 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

While the increased velocity means an increase in energy..... an increase in payload can and often does mean more pellets on target which can be equally effective. Keep in mind that added energy is only a benefit if you are hitting your target....more pellets give you a better chance of that happening even if it is at slightly lower energy.

#9 ·
I like the faster load between the two, but you will find you will most likely need to shoot a bit more choke. If you are a good shot and shoot some long distance shots, buy the fast load. If not, go with the heavy load.

#10 ·
dakotashooter2 said:
While the increased velocity means an increase in energy..... an increase in payload can and often does mean more pellets on target which can be equally effective. Keep in mind that added energy is only a benefit if you are hitting your target....more pellets give you a better chance of that happening even if it is at slightly lower energy.
I agree, with the additional caveat:
An increase in payload can also mean an increase in energy...energy on the bird.
Only the energy possessed by pellets that actually strike the bird counts; and the more pellets (larger payload) that strike the bird, the more energy the bird receives. Total on-bird energy counts.

It's for this reason that I prefer the heavier payload for the longer distance shots: long shots mean reduced pattern density and the extra shot means you have a better chance of getting the required number of pellets on target.

#11 ·
I guess I chould of posted what choke tube I shoot and the scenario i will be hunting. I use the longer of the two patternmaster choke tubes and shoot a browning 3.5" semi autio gold hunter. I will be hunting over rice fields in missouri.

I can get both shells at $155 a case. just was not sure exactly which ones would be best, I have always believed that the more pellets in the sky, the better you would have odds at killing a duck than with fewer pellets. I would think the speed should not matter that much either.

I have had good luck with the patternmaster tube, i also have a kicks but it just seems not to drop ducks as does the PM. is there any other choke tubes yall use that you would recommend, not that i am changing but for the sake of conversation. one other question if I may, does anyone know the difference in the 3 lines of chokes that Pattenmaster has out now?

#13 ·
Cypress_Bend said:
I guess I chould of posted what choke tube I shoot and the scenario i will be hunting. I use the longer of the two patternmaster choke tubes and shoot a browning 3.5" semi autio gold hunter. I will be hunting over rice fields in missouri.

I can get both shells at $155 a case. just was not sure exactly which ones would be best, I have always believed that the more pellets in the sky, the better you would have odds at killing a duck than with fewer pellets. I would think the speed should not matter that much either.

I have had good luck with the patternmaster tube, i also have a kicks but it just seems not to drop ducks as does the PM. is there any other choke tubes yall use that you would recommend, not that i am changing but for the sake of conversation. one other question if I may, does anyone know the difference in the 3 lines of chokes that Pattenmaster has out now?
Check out dunns sporting goods. They have federal speed-shok 3.5" 1.5oz 1500fps for $155 and free shipping.

#14 ·
In my Browning Gold 3 1/2" , I use a Carlson's LM choke with 1 1/8 of 3's . With larger shot , I go with a IM choke if
the Geese are in or if the ducks just don't want to work ! I have NO problem killing waterfowl with a payload of 125/150
pellets . 3 1/2 " ammo is for Geese with Big shot sizes so , using it on ducks only makes a guy a BIG SHOT not a Good Shot . :lol3:

A little more time at the Sporting Clays Range will have you shooting 2 3/4" / 3" ammo TOO ! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.