Benelli Choke Choice

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Benelli Choke Choice

Postby rnloutdoors » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:59 am

This has been brought up before i guess so sorry about it again. But i own a benelli sbe 2 and have been looking into aftermarket choke tube. There is just so many options out there and I don't want to waste my money on one and not like it. I mostly shoot over decoys so 20-50ish yards. Any help on what one to go with would be awesome thanks.
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: Benelli Choke Choice

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 am

No matter what choke you screw in, there will be compromises. No single choke covers them all unless you consider the variable ones and adjust as you go. When you say 20-50yds over decoys you are covering a huge range. Most consider over decoys as 15-30yds if you are doing the job right with your decoys. As you should have already read in posts just like you asked, you will need to pattern your specific gun and load of choice. If you want the standard "canned" answer, screw in any quality IC for over decoys or a Mod or Impmod if you want to go out to 50yds. My choice for over decoys this year is an ext cylinder, but I like them in your face with feet down. The factory Benelli Crio chokes aren't bad. Give them a try on paper, you might be surprised. Mine do pretty good out of my M2. The time you spend at the pattern board shooting at the ranges you think you will shoot is a real eye opener. Steel sot can be very frustrating and sometimes an extra 5 yards can destroy a pattern. There is no magic choke that works at all ranges with all shot sizes and load.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby Anthonyl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 am

I went through several chokes with my Benelli and the best turned out to be a Carlson Light Mod for an all around choke. It also happened to be the least expensive, if that matters... The second best was their Waterfowl Mid-Range, which equates to a Mod.
Anthonyl
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 am

rnloutdoors wrote:This has been brought up before i guess so sorry about it again. But i own a benelli sbe 2 and have been looking into aftermarket choke tube. There is just so many options out there and I don't want to waste my money on one and not like it. I mostly shoot over decoys so 20-50ish yards. Any help on what one to go with would be awesome thanks.

I love my Wad Wizard tube!!
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm

personally shoot hevi shot mid range choke, love it, almost all my buddies have switched over to shooting that choke.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 pm

20-50 is two choke's worth, that is a huge spread! Always choke it down so you have a killing load at your maximum range, then adjust your inside range. So you said 50 yards, that would probably mean an IM carlsons/briley, or a XF kicks, or an extended range patternmaster. None of these are going to allow you to take a 20 yard shot effectively, you are either going to miss with the tiny pattern or make duck burger. You will have to limit yourself to a 30-50 yard zone with that choke. Your other option is to make a 40 yard killing pattern with a Modified choke (midrange, or kicks full), this will allow you to take a 20 yard shot with some leeway and not make too big of a mess. You will likely be crippling at 50 though. The difference between 40 and 50 doesn't sound like much, but it is a mile when you are talking about patterns and chokes.

I'll help you with the 20-40 range, carlson's midrange waterfowl choke. They are about $40 retail but can be found on ebay for around $30 at times. I bought one for my SBE three weeks ago for $30 off ebay, brand new never opened. So far it is doing great, killed a few ducks and doves with it. Mostly in the 15-30 yard range.
BBK
hunter

Postby delaware waterfowl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:39 am

i just bought the carlsons waterfowl choke tube pack. comes with three tubes. short, mid and long range and all patterend great with kent 3" #3's. this is out of my sbe2 aswell. got it on midway for $75 a couple days back. value wise, you cant beat that deal!
delaware waterfowl
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

I only use the stock chokes and Benelli probably makes a better choke than many after markets, which is mostly hype marketing. The one guy is right, there are so many varibles , it is hardly worth all the effort
John Duck
hunter

Postby nick2021 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 am

John Duck wrote:I only use the stock chokes and Benelli probably makes a better choke than many after markets, which is mostly hype marketing. The one guy is right, there are so many varibles , it is hardly worth all the effort

^^^ this. I do have 2 aftermarket chokes but mainly use the stock chokes with my Benelli. Don't underestimate your stock chokes, have you tried patterning your gun with the standard chokes? You may be surprised with the results....
nick2021
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 am

My patterns from my stock chokes were no where near what I get with after market chokes, your mileage may vary however.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby gooseman1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:13 pm

I like the Hevi shot chokes as well, but just purchased a new Muller passing choke to try- there suppose really throw some sweet patterns with all steel loads- so we'll see- he's def proud of them at $104 !!
gooseman1
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes