#7 Shot for ducks!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

#7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby benelliboomer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 am

I originally bought a box of Winchester #7's steel shot for finishing cripples on the water because they are only 7 bucks a box. But as our wood duck shoot went on. I threw a #7 in and smoked one! needless to say, if you are on the "X" and will have ducks within 20 yards, do not hesitate to use #7's....at least for your first shell!
Give it a shot!
Benelli. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.
benelliboomer
hunter

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am

That's like shooting ducks with lead 9's, no thanks. Buy some #4 at least.
z51
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am

You are clearly wrong--no way that duck is dead. best go wring it's neck before it gets away.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Shrek » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I watched one of my friends SMOKE a gadwall at 20 yards with 1 oz of Kent #7s. 100% dead in the air. I know you can kill ducks with 7's, but I wouldn't push the range past 20 yards. Good cripple load though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Shrek
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:07 pm

benelliboomer wrote: I threw a #7 in and smoked one! needless to say, if you are on the "X" and will have ducks within 20 yards, do not hesitate to use #7's....at least for your first shell!

Do you believe that you would not have killed your 20 yard woodie if you'd been shooting 4's or 2's?

I don't doubt that you can kill at duck at 20 yards with #7 steel. You can kill a duck at 20 yards with Cream o' Wheat. Doesn't mean Cream o' Wheat OR #7 steel is a viable duck load.

Don't use a shot size that limits you so drastically. Not all your shots will be at 20 yards.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Shrek » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 pm

mudpack wrote:Not all your shots will be at 20 yards.

Not arguing with you on the limitations of smaller shot, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. About 98% of the shots I take are inside 25 yards. 30 yards would be a long one, as I finish ducks as close as possible before calling the shot. That said, I still don't trust 7's as a primary load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Shrek
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:24 pm

A 1oz load of #7s has over twice the pellet count of a 1 oz load of #4s. At 20-25 yards that means you will probably have twice the pellets,if not more, on a bird than you would with #4. While #7s wont have the same energy you will get some copmensation through pellet count. It the range stated I doubt you could tell the difference.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:A 1oz load of #7s has over twice the pellet count of a 1 oz load of #4s. At 20-25 yards that means you will probably have twice the pellets,if not more, on a bird than you would with #4. While #7s wont have the same energy you will get some copmensation through pellet count. It the range stated I doubt you could tell the difference.

At that distance there will easily be enough energy. Still not a good primary load though. But at 10-20 yards they'd do it.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:59 pm

At that distance with 7's , you would have a hole about every 1/4" on the bird so , Happy EATING !

You must not have any teeth ? If you do , don't shoot 7's , stay with 4's or larger to keep that smile . :thumbsup: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:10 pm

3200 man wrote:At that distance with 7's , you would have a hole about every 1/4" on the bird so , Happy EATING !

You must not have any teeth ? If you do , don't shoot 7's , stay with 4's or larger to keep that smile . :thumbsup: :lol3: :lol3:

Am I the only person who doesn't eat like a field hand? :lol3: No need to worry about breaking a tooth if you just take your time. And if you're worried about someone snatching your food, stick to sawbills.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby John Singer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I would submit that shooting at and killing one bird is hardly a scientific study. I do not doubt that #7 steel will kill a duck at 20 yards.

I also know that deer can be killed with a 22 long rifle.

Imagine posting something like the following on a deer hunting website:
I was deer hunting and I had my 22. Several walked by and I smoked one! needless to say, if you are on the "X" and have deer within 20 yards, do not hesitate to use a 22....at least for your first shot!

Such actions might be best kept to yourself.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:26 pm

You enjoy eating steel?

I once shot a squirrel at 15 paces with #8 lead by accident, thought it was a #6. Took me a better part of a half hour to pick all the shot out of the meat. That thing dropped like a ton of bricks and never twitched a leg, then when skinning I realized my mistake. Shot went in but didnt come out, all sitting in the meat next to bone. I'd imagine the duck was the same way, penetrated 1/2 way or all the way to the breast bone and then stopped. And you're not going to have one or two like with a traditional waterfowl load... if you centered the bird you should have about 30 in the breast.
BBK
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Spending most of my life on a farm I learned to eat what I killed , to do that I try to not over-power what I'm shooting at .
I don't shoot at birds inside 20 yds unless crippled ( the dog takes care of that ) as table fare is my main goal .

Sawbills live a good life around me as I've never acquired a taste for them so , I'll just leave them for city-slickers that
can't tell the difference between them and a Mallard . :biggrin: :lol3:

I do like Mudhens Though .....cooked right , would put a Sawbill to shame . :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby MK10 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

benelliboomer wrote:I originally bought a box of Winchester #7's steel shot for finishing cripples on the water because they are only 7 bucks a box. But as our wood duck shoot went on. I threw a #7 in and smoked one! needless to say, if you are on the "X" and will have ducks within 20 yards, do not hesitate to use #7's....at least for your first shell!
Give it a shot!

I've cleanly taken ducks (small and large) with 1oz and 1-1/8oz loads of steel #7's inside of 20 yards. I've even seen a few medium sized geese taken by a friend at close range (15-18 yards) with Winchester Xpert 1oz #7's.........he'd accidentally been shooting his swatter loads.

Having said that, all my retrieved ducks had way too many imbedded pellets for what I'd consider to be a decent dinner table quality bird. #6 was also a problem in this respect, great killer of ducks inside of 30 yards, but again too many imbedded pellets.

I'd much prefer to be using #5's as a minimum duck pellet size over typical decoying ranges...............good penetration, does not tear the bird apart and is capable of producing good quality and user friendly patterns in a decent 1oz, 1-1/16oz or 1-1/8oz load at these close distances.
MK10
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 am

Boy, if we could only get RemChester or someone to load up some 1 9/16 oz 3 1/2 inch #7 steel! WOW!

:rolleyes:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby r-n-tms » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

Good swatted load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r-n-tms
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 am

Just last season my brother and I did a weekend impoundment hunt down east and I saw first hand the results of #7 steel shot. We managed to limit out mid to late morning but another group 1/2 mile away was in the hot spot all morning because the birds would work us for a second before diving into their area. We heard a bunch of shots but didn't see the carnage until later when we came out and saw the guide combing the ditches and woods for cripples. We stopped to help and came up with more than a half dozen swimmers with just enough damage to prevent flight. After the mop-up operation I went to the blind and found nothing but #7 steel empties lying around.

Having hunted that very blind a month or so prior I knew that the majority of shots were inside 20 yards and the guide said only 2 birds folded and dropped when hit so he thought the guys were just horrible shots. It wasn't until the hunt was almost over that he discovered the #7 loads and knew why birds weren't folding even though he could tell they were hit pretty solidly (this area holds mostly mallards with a few woodies and teal at first light). He counted the downed birds towards each person's limit and gave them a few #3 loads for them to finish out and called the hunt to start the trek for cripples about time we came along. It was a mess and I got PO'd knowing somebody would be so obtuse as to use such small shot for ducks. The funny thing was one of the hunters later said he had a whole case of Kent #3 loads but chose to use the #7 because it was "just as good"...yeah friggin right Buddy!
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 pm

yeah...you would never catch me with anything close to a 7 while hunting waterfowl. I shoot 4's at teal for God sake.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:25 pm

20 yds sounds like a push. I have to ring doves necks when I shoot them with 7s at 15 yards sometimes.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

SPatrick wrote:yeah...you would never catch me with anything close to a 7 while hunting waterfowl. I shoot 4's at teal for God sake.

I am like Patrick. I will use 4's and sometimes something a touch smaller for teal or woodies in the timber
but for bigger ducks I usually use nothing smaller than a #3.
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Shrek » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:31 pm

SPatrick wrote:yeah...you would never catch me with anything close to a 7 while hunting waterfowl. I shoot 4's at teal for God sake.

Does hevishot make a #7? :yes:
Shrek
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

BurnettGunner wrote:20 yds sounds like a push. I have to ring doves necks when I shoot them with 7s at 15 yards sometimes.

When I shoot doves at 15 yards with 7s there isn't much left of them.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes there are opposites , the ones that shoot 7's at waterfowl along with the same fellas that shoot a 300 mag with
a 100 gr bullet at big game .

I'll stop there , as I don't want frank drooling over 3 1/2" with 1 3/4oz of 7's ? :lol3: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
BurnettGunner wrote:20 yds sounds like a push. I have to ring doves necks when I shoot them with 7s at 15 yards sometimes.

When I shoot doves at 15 yards with 7s there isn't much left of them.

No kidding! A dove at 15 yards with anything is toast, especially steel 7's. If you have to pinch a neck, you either missed and caught it with the edge of your pattern, or you did the near impossible and had a dove get through your pattern without hitting vitals at 15 yards. Either way, its not the load's fault. A load of 7's will swiss cheese a dove at 15 yards.
BBK
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 am

back in the lead shot days 3 of us jumped a small pond. about 10 mallards exploded from under out feet. I dropped dead a right and left with my SxS one mate with single bakail dropped a single and other mate fired twice taking feathers off same bird twice that carried on and got away. the guy who failed hasnt used #7 for ducks since. our #3s and #4s took birds cleanly but he just pricked his and it wasnt barrel stretching either.
I bought a single box of steel 7.5s just because they were cheap...tried to shoot a opossom (slightly bigger than a house cat) from in tree above our camp about 10yards up at duck shooting,the hua was squaking at dog and peeing on us!!!! emptied the defender up at his reflected eye as that was all I could see...sort of recon by fire...lots of twigs and leaves dropped but no possom...next morning we looked up and it was sitting up tree too scared to come down...so I guess they good for scaring animals half to death(son got it with .410 #4)
oh we have some fun while out away from home :yes: :yes:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes