#7 Shot for ducks!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:13 am

#7 steel shot is used for 16 yard trap and skeet and will break clay birds all day long at 25 yards.

I tested 7, 6 and #5 steel on pattern and penetration and in my test the larger pellets gave me a pattern
with I/C and Mod. chokes that did not chew up a bird as bad as all the small seven pellets, but they work great on snipe,
and close teal and quail if you limit you shots.

I hate hunting and having to let birds go just because they are out of range and the energy of the small #7 pellet. I even
have to draw the line with my 1oz. of #5 steel at 1500 fps on a lot of ducks that fly by. Not saying that they do not work,
just that you can add another 20 yards to your duck strap if you shoot #4 steel or larger.

The smallest pellet that I reload is a #5 steel due to it limited range and energy but it is a great teal load, one bird I try
to bring home, even though it takes 2-3 to match a Mallard in meat volume.

I do agree that that price on a box of #7 steel is real hard to pass up !!

Have a good season.
User avatar
Sagebrush
hunter
 
Posts: 4754
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Reno Nev.


Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby flyndutchman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:00 pm

My hunting partner brought a box of 6's on the last hunt of last season. He was running short of ammo and didn't want to buy more. It was the worst day out. He is generally a good shot. We spent all day chasing cripples. Sure it will knock them down, but won't kill them cleanly. He is banned from even suggesting anything smaller than 5's now, even for swatter loads. 7's have no place in waterfowl hunting, even as swatters in my opinion. Usually if we are trying to swat a duck it is on the long side of range and the smaller shot is worthless.
flyndutchman
hunter
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 pm
Location: Wenatchee

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby solway gunner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:41 pm

thats simply not true and full of innaccuracys and misconception-small shot does have a place in the wildfowlers armoury its just that it doesnt nescassarily mean its for everyone plus handloading can produce tailor made superior shells for the small sizes too,those factory no6 couldve been producing below 1000fps for all you know and how about all the other obvious often overlooked -range and choke selection too?
i use 23/4" no6 steel on corn fed ponds for dusk shooting when its all about killing ducks as they circle and drop in,ranges to approx 30yrds average 20yrds ,where the shells ive loaded are just as effective as the lead no6 i used to use on the same ponds on the same quarry species all those years ago.
Now why the hell would i want to smash every duck into oblivion with ultra quick velocitys and pass shooting shot size at close ranges if its all about getting birds fit for the table with a bit of sport included?
i dont believe for one minute a greenhorn fowler would seriously buy steel no7 or would be advised to either for serious ducking as that would be irresponsible,however,it doesnt mean that the small sizes are inneffective as stated previously,because they are a good alternative to the larger sizes and can be deadly in fact,they just need the right application thats all.
Last edited by solway gunner on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Shrek wrote:
mudpack wrote:Not all your shots will be at 20 yards.


Not arguing with you on the limitations of smaller shot, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. About 98% of the shots I take are inside 25 yards.


Thank you for proving my point.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:09 pm

I just got done eating the last of the duck from last season. Got 3 #3 pellets out of 4 breasts (a wigeon and a mallard). No, it didnt hurt as I learned years ago to chew slowly.. but it was very annoying. I remember those shots, a hen wigeon at about 35yds and a drake mallard at 40. That is why I don't like anything under #2 outside of 30 yards.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby 3200 man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Now Kevin , I see your point ? If you're shooting barn yard ducks sitting on the bank next to the pond at under 20 yds with
ammo loaded to 1800 fps , yes , how could you miss ? :biggrin: With the addition of a finishing tool ?

Tell me more ? :huh: :hi:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby heffs72 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 pm

In my testing, a1 3/8 oz bb at 40 yds has no holes in the pattern, so why, would u shoot a 7???Cheaper maybe????
heffs72
hunter
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Everyone on here can keep bashing them and I will keep using them on my favorite little ditch after freeze up. Just like every year I will kill my 7 bird limit in 7 to 10 shells shooting mallards and teal in the back and head at 8 to 20 yards. I will maybe have to ring one birds neck once and a while just like with any other shot size.

Bottom line use them within their limits and they work just fine just like you must do with any other dam load!
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I was just thinking about this... within the #7 shot limit (<20yds) literally any steel shotshell will work. From 1 1/4 #T to the 1oz of #7. So why shoot the light stuff and risk leaving shot in the meat? There really is no advantage to using the small stuff. For shots that close, buy the cheapest steel shot #4-#T and have at it.

I shot a limit of mallards with 1 1/8 #BBB three years ago, shots were about that.. 15-25 yards. They weren't shot up and I had no shot left in the meat. Had to find a use for those old 72 pellet federal loads from the 90's :lol3:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 pm

BBK wrote:I was just thinking about this... within the #7 shot limit (<20yds) literally any steel shotshell will work. From 1 1/4 #T to the 1oz of #7. So why shoot the light stuff and risk leaving shot in the meat? There really is no advantage to using the small stuff. For shots that close, buy the cheapest steel shot #4-#T and have at it.

I shot a limit of mallards with 1 1/8 #BBB three years ago, shots were about that.. 15-25 yards. They weren't shot up and I had no shot left in the meat. Had to find a use for those old 72 pellet federal loads from the 90's :lol3:



Shooting them in the dam back they don't penetrate into the breast meat, so not and issue :fingerhead:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Correct. I was talking about traditional duck shots.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:39 pm

mudpack wrote:
Shrek wrote:
mudpack wrote:Not all your shots will be at 20 yards.


Not arguing with you on the limitations of smaller shot, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. About 98% of the shots I take are inside 25 yards.


Thank you for proving my point.

Telling someone who you don't even know that "not all your shots will be at 20yds" is a pretty bold statement. 15-25yds would be a decoying shot for me. Past 30yds is usually pass shooting. Everyone's situation is different.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Telling someone who you don't even know that "not all your shots will be at 20yds" is a pretty bold statement. 15-25yds would be a decoying shot for me. Past 30yds is usually pass shooting. Everyone's situation is different.


I'm a pretty bold kinda' guy.


By your own admission, not all of your shots are at 20 yards. I'm pretty confident that I'm speaking the truth when I tell someone "not all your shots will be at 20 yards".

Do you know someone who hunts ducks and who's every shot is at 20 yards? if so, PM me; I'd like to talk to him.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:00 pm

roster did it!!!! but they were leg tethered :grooving: :grooving:
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 pm

BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....

What if he said 21? That's over 20.
Both of you are purposely being ridiculous.
The point was his shots are close, so why would it not be possible that someone else's could all be within 20 yards?
Sounds like both of you are just trying to avoid the main argument.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Shrek » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 pm

BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.
Shrek
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Shrek » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:13 pm

BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:


If you can shoot at a level higher than the average person, you can shoot a duck in the head and be fine. I actually ate a duck that had been body shot with #7's and didn't get a single pellet in it? Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience and not putting forth a sophomoric argument based on theory. Two vastly different items.
Shrek
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:


If you can shoot at a level higher than the average person, you can shoot a duck in the head and be fine. I actually ate a duck that had been body shot with #7's and didn't get a single pellet in it? Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience and not putting forth a sophomoric argument based on theory. Two vastly different items.


You are going to sit there and tell me that with 432 pellets in your pattern you can shoot a duck and only hit the head? And you called ME ignorant?
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Shrek » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 pm

BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:


If you can shoot at a level higher than the average person, you can shoot a duck in the head and be fine. I actually ate a duck that had been body shot with #7's and didn't get a single pellet in it? Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience and not putting forth a sophomoric argument based on theory. Two vastly different items.


You are going to sit there and tell me that with 432 pellets in your pattern you can shoot a duck and only hit the head? And you called ME ignorant?


Yes. That's actually what I am saying. Aim small miss small. The vast majority of morons on here claim to consistently make shots at 60+ yards and kill birds. Why can't I shoot a duck with 432 pellets and only hit the head? I didn't say what choke I would be using. For all you know, I could be shooting rifle-like constriction. Know what happens when you make assumptions?
Shrek
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:


If you can shoot at a level higher than the average person, you can shoot a duck in the head and be fine. I actually ate a duck that had been body shot with #7's and didn't get a single pellet in it? Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience and not putting forth a sophomoric argument based on theory. Two vastly different items.


You are going to sit there and tell me that with 432 pellets in your pattern you can shoot a duck and only hit the head? And you called ME ignorant?


Yes. That's actually what I am saying. Aim small miss small. The vast majority of morons on here claim to consistently make shots at 60+ yards and kill birds. Why can't I shoot a duck with 432 pellets and only hit the head? I didn't say what choke I would be using. For all you know, I could be shooting rifle-like constriction. Know what happens when you make assumptions?



I am not making an assumption, but you have in the past 3 posts.

If you used an XF turkey choke and shot a 12" pattern (better than most turkey patterns you will see) that is 12" of death. A duck's head is the size of a golf ball, slightly bigger in some species. Smaller than a tennis ball in all. You are seriously going to tell me you can hit a moving target the size of a golf ball with a 12" pattern and not hit any thing else. I would bet everything I have that even the most skilled trick shooters can't do that on a live animal. A practiced target, probably, but not an animal under normal shooting conditions.

That was not an assumption, that was common sense backed by experience with patterning chokes and loads.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby Shrek » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:34 pm

BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:
Shrek wrote:
BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....


And just to prove the point that you are an ignorant bafoon, I'm going to video myself shooting a duck at 25 yards with 1 oz of #7's this year.


What are you going to do with it? You surely aren't going to eat it, full of all that shot. Seems wasteful and just plane asinine to me... Risking a very high chance of crippling an animal to prove a point. I'd like to prove you wrong also by measuring out a stake at 25 yards and watch you kill (cripple) a duck at that range, but I am better than that. So I guess you win. :thumbsup:


If you can shoot at a level higher than the average person, you can shoot a duck in the head and be fine. I actually ate a duck that had been body shot with #7's and didn't get a single pellet in it? Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience and not putting forth a sophomoric argument based on theory. Two vastly different items.


You are going to sit there and tell me that with 432 pellets in your pattern you can shoot a duck and only hit the head? And you called ME ignorant?


Yes. That's actually what I am saying. Aim small miss small. The vast majority of morons on here claim to consistently make shots at 60+ yards and kill birds. Why can't I shoot a duck with 432 pellets and only hit the head? I didn't say what choke I would be using. For all you know, I could be shooting rifle-like constriction. Know what happens when you make assumptions?



I am not making an assumption, but you have in the past 3 posts.

If you used an XF turkey choke and shot a 12" pattern (better than most turkey patterns you will see) that is 12" of death. A duck's head is the size of a golf ball, slightly bigger in some species. Smaller than a tennis ball in all. You are seriously going to tell me you can hit a moving target the size of a golf ball with a 12" pattern and not hit any thing else. I would bet everything I have that even the most skilled trick shooters can't do that on a live animal. A practiced target, probably, but not an animal under normal shooting conditions.

That was not an assumption, that was common sense backed by experience with patterning chokes and loads.


That was an assumption. You assumed that I can't do it. Assumption. You don't know me. Who's to say I'm not good enough to excel in the aforementioned scenario? You made an assumption
Shrek
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Shooting them in the dam back they don't penetrate into the breast meat, so not and issue

BBK wrote:Correct. I was talking about traditional duck shots.

So a few decades ago or more, I guess no one shot ducks in the back? Kinda like how lawmen in old westerns wouldn't shoot the bad guy in the back? That's interesting...learned something new today.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 pm

That is more literal than what I was meaning. I was meaning the more "traditional" shots we get when waterfowling, not how people from the 1800's shot ducks. You know.. incoming, crossing, quartering, rising, overhead.. Flushing upwards like a pheasant is not what I would consider traditional.

I guess "typical" would have been a better choice of word. Sorry about that!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: solway gunner and 7 guests