#7 Shot for ducks!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: #7 Shot for ducks!!!

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:09 pm

BBK wrote:That is more literal than what I was meaning.
Just giving you a little dose of your own medicine :)
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 am

decoy, typical shots....?

This year in Nevada there will be LESS close shots and more hunters near you the way the water is this year.

Any bird inside 40 yard will be "Legal" for small pellets and I think most of us will be packing BB's to try to
get a shot at passing birds. Don't think many will use #7's.

Here is a picture of one of our larges lake in the area. :eek:

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:07 pm

if it froze you could always use a taboggan down that ramp to get set up,youd do it in seconds :biggrin:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:28 pm

I feel for you sage...we face that very same problem every few years where we shoot. and the mud just sucks/sticks like a crappy nappy to Grannys best rug :no:
shot a close in bunny this morning with 1 1/4oz of lead #3s
Ive used lead 7s before but only when I had nothing else...it worked okish :huh: up close but the dogs didnt thank us when eating them :no: :no:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:03 pm

I've recently went down in size here in Alaska. I went from 4 to 2 then to 3 and noticed big difference. Early season shooting 4 I had hardly any misses and most ducks dear shortly after hitting water and almost no loss rate that in many places is 20% or more. Going to 2 even with a heavy 13/8 load up from the 1 1/4 4 load a big difference was seen. More cripples, more loss and more problems overall. This is a distilled overview of many years of hand loading and etc. going back to the lead days. I then went to 3 and found that the pattern density is not as good as 4 and wings are not broken as much as with 2. It is kind of a compromise but a poor one. I was using 2 a lot the last few years to not break teeth as often or so I thought and for the lonely goose we see sometimes. I think with the larger shot a lot of the hits are on the outside of the pattern, no matter what shot size. You simply have more shot load with 4 and I know Cree Indians in the Hudson Bay region use 4 for goose for similar reasons and they say it gets under the feathers better. So there is goes and I will probably change my mind next season again!
7 shot is far out there, but 5 or even 6 may have uses although I have never used any I remember.
John Duck
hunter

Postby PDaugherty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:41 am

I've shot early season teal with HEVI- #7 loads and they work out great on the small ducks. This being said they don't hit like #7 steel and I've never tried them on bigger ducks. I almost always go with #2s if I may have longer shots or #4s if I'm in timber. You owe it to the birds to shoot what's going to produce the most ethical kills.
PDaugherty
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 am

#3 are my main decoying duck shot size. #2 being second.

I do use a few #4's

I have come to the conclusion that less shot equals less meat damage, fathers & shot to remove etc.

I've seen steel 7 &6 work very well. Very few cripples. The shooting was in your face (25yards being a long shot).

When cleaning the birds later in the day you could tell which were shot with smaller shot. Shot would fall out of the thick breast feathers if you shook them. Peeling the skin layer back showed multiple pellets were in the fat and top muscle layer.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 am

Sagebrush wrote:decoy, typical shots....?

This year in Nevada there will be LESS close shots and more hunters near you the way the water is this year.

Any bird inside 40 yard will be "Legal" for small pellets and I think most of us will be packing BB's to try to
get a shot at passing birds. Don't think many will use #7's.

Here is a picture of one of our larges lake in the area. :eek:

that is what I call a drought YIKES....I am sorry your hunting locations are that dry Sage
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby JustinJ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 am

Been lurking a while now, but this is my first post besides my intro.

I grew up shooting 6's lead where we hunted, which was flooded timber. Most all shots inside of 35yds. When we made the switch to steel, I just started shooting #6 in it as well, just because thats what I always shot. I've been shooting the Kent 2 3/4 #6 and the Sportsman steel #6, which is a low brass 1oz load. For the last 15 years I have mainly hunted open marsh in Venice La shooting those loads, and I kill ducks with no problem out to 35yds. The guys I hunt with mainly shoot 3" #2's and some #4's, and I don't see much difference as far as the amount of cripples we each have. They can get off slightly longer shots with that third shell on one thats gaining altitude.
As far as it tearing up the ducks, might sound crazy, but for the most part from what I have seen it generally does less damage. On most the 25 to 35yrd shots, the smaller shot dose not carry the energy I guess to penertrate through the feathers and breast of larger ducks. Seems I am just putting a very dense pattern full of shot over the duck, and the shot that is in the head is doing all the killing. Now if I get one just hanging in the decoys in your face, yes it makes a mess of them, but I don't know that that woulnt be the case if I where shooting #2's
JustinJ
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 am

TSS #9 to 40 yards, #8 to 60 yards and #7 to 70 + yards. all with Gel Penetration at 2.25" and Vel over 600 fps and mv of 1350 fps, pattern density better than any other shot style or type with 1 oz or less shot and very few if any pellets left in the bird ie easy on the teeth.
Definitely not your normal shot with density of 18+ g/cc. Over the deeks just use Steel.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 am

BBK wrote:Anyone else catch the guy who said mudpack shouldnt jump to conclusions that there will be shots over 20 yards taken... then he said 98% of this shots are 15-25 yards. That's over 20....

That was half my point. The other half was the "98%". That means that 2%, by his estimation, are not 15-25 yards. Let's be generous and meet him halfway:
That means that 1% of his shots are over 25 yards. This falls right into my statement that not ALL .....as in 100%.....shots will be at 20 yards. 25 yards is not 20 yards, and 98% is not "all".
You caught it right, BBK, and ol' shrek just proved my point nicely.

Any shot where a #7 steel load will kill ducks, a #3 or #2 will kill ducks. The reverse is certainly NOT true.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Shrek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Here's an example/theory/me throwing something out there:

I try to pick drakes. If a lone hen comes in, I won't shoot it. I try my best to pick drakes. I actually limit myself to only drakes. I'd rather kill 1 drake than 2 hens.

Now, why couldn't I limit myself to ONLY shots within killing range of #7's?

And let's not be Richards about this. I'd rather limit myself to only drakes, so maybe I want to limit myself to only shots within 20 yards too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shrek
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes