New to Waterfowl hunt'n Mossberg 835 choke...NEED H_E_L_P!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

New to Waterfowl hunt'n Mossberg 835 choke...NEED H_E_L_P!

Postby btrapr1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:59 pm

I am new to duck hunting and have a Mossberg 835___
My question is I bought a used gun and have two chokes...
#1 is marked Full- 2 & BB Steel (this is marked together on the same spot)
#2 is marked Modified- 2 & BB steel (" " " " ")

Does this mean actually that these are as marked when using STEEL SHOT! I will be shooting a modified PATTERN with the MOD and a FULL with the FULL????
I shot each load with both the chokes at 25 yds at a pie plate...on a piece of plywood...BOTH looked like they would work....OK___I will be shooting out to around 40 yds...give or take...

I will be shooting Remington 2 3/4" #4's and 3" #2's AT least for now...got'em cheap__AS in FREE...I will experiment later with other brands etc...

*** :help: Special note the more I read about specialty chokes like the the more confused I get...___>I do however like what I see and the reviews that I have read about the Carlson's extneded knurled___long parralel choke tubes...and at $35 each...Its the path I am probably going to take...
I really like the thought of an extended knurled choke (easy to switch out)...

:thumbsup: thank you in advance for any more mind boggling imput or smoke clearing advice! :thumbsup:
Last edited by btrapr1 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btrapr1
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:39 pm

All ia m gonna tell you is the truth.

1. I have the same gun as you

2. I use a modified choke for everything, squrriles to rabbits, ducks, geese and turkeys.

3. i have never used a fancy waterfowl choke

4.i tried an extra full turkey choke, was worse than my modified at 30 yards (lead)

5. you should shoot them at 40 yards
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Re: New to Waterfowl hunt'n Mossberg 835 choke...NEED H_E_L_

Postby countrygent36 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:26 pm

btrapr1 wrote:I am new to duck hunting and have a Mossberg 835___
My question is I bought a used gun and have two chokes...
#1 is marked Full- 2 & BB Steel (this is marked together on the same spot)
#2 is marked Modified- 2 & BB steel (" " " " ")

Does this mean actually that these are as marked when using STEEL SHOT! I will be shooting a modified PATTERN with the MOD and a FULL with the FULL????
I shot each load with both the chokes at 25 yds at a pie plate...on a piece of plywood...BOTH looked like they would work....OK___I will be shooting out to around 40 yds...give or take...

I will be shooting Remington 2 3/4" #4's and 3" #2's AT least for now...got'em cheap__AS in FREE...I will experiment later with other brands etc...

*** :help: Special note the more I read about specialty chokes like the the more confused I get...___>I do however like what I see and the reviews that I have read about the Carlson's extneded knurled___long parralel choke tubes...and at $35 each...Its the path I am probably going to take...
I really like the thought of an extended knurled choke (easy to switch out)...

:thumbsup: thank you in advance for any more mind boggling imput or smoke clearing advice! :thumbsup:

If your gonna shot out to 40 yards, then you should pattern out to 40 yards. Dont get caught up in the commercial hype on the fancy chokes. A simple mod choke will do fine. I prefer an IC myself, but it's still a pretty tight pattern for my gun. Go with what works for YOU, not what works for the salesman.
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0
countrygent36
hunter

Postby JRockandCash6 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 am

I shot an 835 ultimag with the factory full choke and because it had a really short barrel ie... turkey gun it patterned like a modified. Loved it but it was stolen out at the marsh, now I shoot a supernova and found it didnt pattern well with the factory choke. I bought a carlson extended choke in I/M and started hitting everything. then my cousin who is a duck goose killing machine (he hunts with Bill Saunders) talked me into a patternmaster. I just got it today and I am going to use it tommorrow hopefully with pics for you. The Carlson was good. The idea behind the patternmaster is that it has little lugs inside the choke that "grab" the wad to slow it down and create shorter shot strings. which means more of your bb's get there at once. is the smoke clearing?
Never go in against a Sicillian when death is on the line! - princess bride
JRockandCash6
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 am

I'm with VT, 835 ulti-mag, shoot MOD exclusively, except for turkey I use X-Full, mossberg accumag. By the way, what is an extended knurled?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JRockandCash6 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:30 am

try this site http://www.choketube.com/wbmw.html go down to extended steel chokes and you can see an extened knurled choke
Never go in against a Sicillian when death is on the line! - princess bride
JRockandCash6
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:36 am

Oh sorry, I've never heard of Knurled before. Thought you might have been drinking! :salude: My Mod choke patterns just fine for me thanks
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:27 am

a mod choke is a certain restriction. it doesnt have anything to do with the pattern percentage. chokes were named before there was any of these new shot types. so a mod threw a mod pattern. now tho, steel thru the mod choke will pattern tighter than lead will. so uninformed people tend to call it a "steel full" but its not. ITS A MODIFIED.... it cannot be anything else. the pattern that ends up on the board is not what dictates what u call the choke it came out of. u may call THE PATTERN a "full pattern", but the choke is still a modified.....
does that help?

and put some patterns on paper with ur chokes, make sure to be using the correct size shot for your intended game. most guys use much larger shot than is necessary (or even logical) and because of this, they have to go to the tight chokes. this is called a HANDICAP in other sports :yes:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby thaner » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Those factory 835 chokes can be real good. I would pattern at the distance you want to shoot with your chokes on a 40" paper with 30" circle to see what it will do. Extended knurled are nice for changing and seeing what's in the gun without counting notches. I have them and like them for that reason alone and not so much for better patterns. I like extended for all the different shooting I do including targets. For hunting I know which one I will use and just screw it in and keep the there. For waterfowl I use a IC for decoy work and Mod for the rest.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:16 am

:withstupid:

thaner said it all !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes