Different Powder Lots

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Different Powder Lots

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Eventually I'm gonna run out of lot#15 Steel Powder, I have some lot#17. Are 17 and 15 close? will I have to re pattern my loads again when I switch to a different lot? :fingerhead:

Thanks
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Re: Different Powder Lots

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Doubledutchchuck would be a good one to ask this question however I believe the change in energy by Lot # hit it's peak at Lot #12, I stand to be corrected on this but all my ASteel is in the lower Lot numbers.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 pm

As Lost stated, and which I agree with, the powders lots from #15 and later run very similar to one another. At least they do when comparing velocities across the chrono. Lot #17 may be slightly hotter than 15, but you won't notice any difference on the pattern board.Then last summer, I bought a one pound and 4 pound canister of Steel, neither having a lot number stamped on them. When I ran them across the chrono, the velocities they produced were exactly then same as the Lot 17 I have tested, and patterned identically. You can re-pattern your loads if you like, for self assurance, but I don't believe it is necessary, IMO.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks, Good to know, I don't really wanna re pattern all those loads again at the same ranges.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Where do you find the lot # on the jug?
BBK
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm

My new Steel powder lost fps when the same load was put over my chrony but only 80 fps for the
"1550" fps #107 load that ran 1530 fps when I tested it six years ago. my loads now run 1470 fps.

This is in my gun..........yours will generally have different figures due to " x,y, & z ".
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes