steel #1

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

steel #1

Postby wigeon jim » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:14 pm

was out last night here in scotland moonflighting geese into a flooded grass field with my first handloaded 3 1/2 12g fast steel #1,it was a bit slow to start with but about 2 hours after moonrise geese started to move,i got a single pinkfoot out at about 40 yards later about 25 came past and this time i managed to get 3,then to my surprise some honkers can in silently but one was left dead on the water as they left i am well pleased with my homeloads and will only be loading #1 for geese now. :thumbsup: wigeon jim.
straight powder
wigeon jim
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:20 pm

since i tried it, ill never go back either!! :thumbsup:

are you hunting at night? how does that work? sounds pretty neat....
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

steel #1

Postby wigeon jim » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:39 pm

moon flighting is great sport,the best nights are after full moon when the moon rises about 2 hours after dark, our pinkfoot geese will fly back to there roost at dusk then after there is enough light from the moon they will head out to feed again,you need a night with a cloud cover so you can see them if it is clear you cant see them even if they are 20 yds up, cold weather is best . wigeon jim.
straight powder
wigeon jim
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:45 pm

How are the gun laws over there? Can you keep a shotgun at your home? How about a rifle or a handgun? If you are able to keep one at your house, are you legally able to use it for self protection in someone comes into your home with the intent to do you harm?

Keep the moonlight hunting stories coming. If I lived there I would use an 8 gauge.

David
StoneTower
hunter

steel #1

Postby wigeon jim » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:24 pm

we can keep any number of shotguns at home but must be locked up when not in use, firearms are a bit more restricted but if you have a use for it like vermin control deer stalking ect.and permission to shoot from the landowner you should be ok,all firearms and shotguns must be on your shotgun and firearms certificate and on police file,as for self protection i think you would be locked up and they would throw away the key.i have two 8 guage shotguns for pass shooting geese but are a bit slow to swing for moonflighting ,as for handguns they were banned after the Dunblane school shooting. wigeon jim
straight powder
wigeon jim
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes