Briley vs terror chokes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: Briley vs terror chokes

Postby dog walker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:43 pm

I've got briley and carlsons for several guns. Some of the barrels like the carlsons better others the briley. Sometimes it's load specific,sometimes the choke that works for one patterns like crap in another.

I've got a SBE 2 barrel that patterns great with the factory mod but not with any briley or Carlson I've tried.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Goosebuster13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm

no comparison. terror will blow away briley all day long with most shells. if you want a long range choke there is nothing better than a terror besides maybe a drake killer. havent ever shot one of those but i hear they are good as well. i currently own 2 terrors for my sbe2 and had 1 for my sbe1. my brother and dad both have terrors as well. the reason jeff is no longer making the terrors is not because of poor performance. he is simply no selling them anymore. last i heard is that he will make you if you call him. will cost a little more but can be done.
Goosebuster13
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:41 pm

There are a bunch of high quality choices for chokes if you look outside the Waterfowling world, Indian Creek, Pure Gold, Ballistic Specialties & Muller are just a few. All are premium Tubes and can open your eyes at the patterning board. I own a number of very expensive chokes(Wife is not happy about that), they are just tools to help your gun shoot the patterns you prefer but...some guns will not pattern well no matter the choke. That is more of a problem for the Turkey hunter or Still Target Shooter not a Waterfowler. But if you cannot get acceptable patterns out of your gun it may be time for some barrel work or a new barrel, A very common practice for Turkey addicts!

FWIW; I have never seen a Carlsons issue that could not be fixed without placing a call to Scott Carlson he is a great guy and want's his customers happy!

Good Luck, Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby bubba682 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I patterned a new briley IM in my gold 10 after testing the 3 recipes i use the gun shoots high you can really notice at 40 yd on the board with a tighter choke plus a supported rest to shoot off.I didn't get nere the % other guys were getting because of it shooting high so I put a homemade shim in.030 but i didn't have time to go back to the board.I went hunting yesterday that choke worked great i dropped geese at the 40/50 yd range with alot hits in the head and neck i was impressed so for me the search is over lol as far as chokes go...
Huntin the barrens of Cape Breton.
bubba682
hunter

Postby longdogrunner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:12 am

hi I am after a Briley I/M for a 10g its a browning gold 10, cant seem to find one anywhere.
longdogrunner
Newb

Postby dog walker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 am

longdogrunner wrote:hi I am after a Briley I/M for a 10g its a browning gold 10, cant seem to find one anywhere.

Did you call briley?
dog walker
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:51 am

longdogrunner wrote:hi I am after a Briley I/M for a 10g its a browning gold 10, cant seem to find one anywhere.

http://www.briley.com/browninginvectore ... choke.aspx
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 am

Like Dog Walker said, the best way to order a Briley choke is to call them on the phone and order with your credit card. You will get exactly what you want. You said you want a IM for your Gold10. Keep in mind that IM = .750" and LF= .745". The constriction in my tens that has proved the one to have is the .745". So when I call Briley and order, I ask for the constriction size and not full, mod or other. Make sure it is .745 that you ask for.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 am

I just got back from a 4 day honker hunt up north, and i shot my gold 10, and my Sp10, both with Terror 720s, and Hevi metal 11/2 of BBs @1500, and took a couple of birds at 50-55, Clean!! Those chokes will never leave my guns!! impressed is an understatement! BBBs in that load would be very interesting!!
gooseman1
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes