Another repeat lead (leed) question.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Another repeat lead (leed) question.

Postby countrygent36 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:47 pm

I personally have a hard time hitting birds that are flying directly at/above me. Going away, no problem. I'de like to hear your opinions on that straight at ya, and up shot.
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0
countrygent36
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm

I love that shot. That is a hard one for some because you have to swing past and cover the bird. Some people just can't shoot something they can't see. First I shoot two eyes so I can sometimes, depending on the range, see the bird with my other eye to give my brain an idea how far in front I am. I also try to shoot it out a little so it is not any more straight up than necessary, which takes a little less lead. I do a move, mount, shoot method of shooting most of the time so my gun mounting and swing speed matches the speed of the target and it is just kind of an automatic thing that doesn't take much lead estimating work like pull ahead or sustained lead. Anther thing you can try is just turning your body so it is more of a side-to-side swing and not so much of a straight up and down thing. This can help you keep the bird in view; if you do this the shots are easier if they are more over head.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby countrygent36 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:38 pm

thaner wrote:I love that shot. That is a hard one for some because you have to swing past and cover the bird. Some people just can't shoot something they can't see. First I shoot two eyes so I can sometimes, depending on the range, see the bird with my other eye to give my brain an idea how far in front I am. I also try to shoot it out a little so it is not any more straight up than necessary, which takes a little less lead. I do a move, mount, shoot method of shooting most of the time so my gun mounting and swing speed matches the speed of the target and it is just kind of an automatic thing that doesn't take much lead estimating work like pull ahead or sustained lead. Anther thing you can try is just turning your body so it is more of a side-to-side swing and not so much of a straight up and down thing. This can help you keep the bird in view; if you do this the shots are easier if they are more over head.

It seems that every time I am up readusting decoys or for whatever reason, I'm out in the open when this shot happens. I see them coming in, kneel down and wait. I try to wait until their close, then stand up to make them flair to the side, or do like you and shoot early to reduce the lead needed.

It's certainly the birds favorite, since they get to fly away most of the time. Still fun to see how fast they can actually fly.

PS. Where's all the mallards? All we seen today were gobs of Goldeneye. What a strange season.
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0
countrygent36
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 pm

Duck is closed here, but two weeks ago during our 2 day late season they were hanging around in all the parks and other easy living places because nothing is froze up here and they were avoiding the huntable places. We still have birds hanging around. We also have lots of geese for the late the season due to all the open fields and open water. :getdown:
thaner
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:27 pm

One possible help with the head on shot is to go to a skeet field and shoot a 100 station 8's. If you can stand back about halfway to house behind you so you have more time and it's not such a snap shot. This can really help with those coming at ya shots.
thaner
hunter

Postby countrygent36 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:31 pm

thaner wrote:One possible help with the head on shot is to go to a skeet field and shoot a 100 station 8's. If you can stand back about halfway to house behind you so you have more time and it's not such a snap shot. This can really help with those coming at ya shots.

That's a pretty good idea. We do have a club here(never been there). I've been thinking about joining and spending some time there this coming summer.

We still have until Jan 28th for ducks, and Feb 18th for geese. Not a bad year after the last three, but still way down in numbers. That's what I get for living on the far edge of the flyway.
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0
countrygent36
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 pm

I agree with Thaner.

The #8 skeet station is the way to go, to learn this shot.
A skeet choke has a 20" pattern at 10 yards. However at
the center station most birds are shot 15 feet away from the muzzle.

Getting 30 yards away, gives you a better idea for duck hunting.

I try to shoot ducks early enough so they land at my feet. If
you wait too long, they will go 25 to 30 yards behind you.

Come from behind the target, by pass and squeeze it off.

Later Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby countrygent36 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Sagebrush wrote:I agree with Thaner.

The #8 skeet station is the way to go, to learn this shot.
A skeet choke has a 20" pattern at 10 yards. However at
the center station most birds are shot 15 feet away from the muzzle.

Getting 30 yards away, gives you a better idea for duck hunting.

I try to shoot ducks early enough so they land at my feet. If
you wait too long, they will go 25 to 30 yards behind you.

Come from behind the target, by pass and squeeze it off.

Later Ed

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be giving that a few rounds thru the "off season".
Ducks
Mallard -15
GWT -2
Gadwal -10
Widgeon-23
Merganser-8
Goldeneye-25
Shovelers - 7
Bufflehead - 1
Geese
Canadian-11
Snow -0