410 Reloading Question

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

410 Reloading Question

Postby G3duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I bought a Taurus Judge some time back and wanted to load some BB's in a 2.5 inch hull.
The bushing chart from MEC suggest a #14 bushing using IMR-4227 (16.4). Trouble is, you can't get the wad down far enough with that much powder. I tried a #10 bushing and it will load but that's a pretty light load. Other thing is the BB's also get jammed up in the drop tube.

Anybody got a suggested load for my application?
G3duck
hunter

Re: 410 Reloading Question

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 pm

G3duck wrote:I bought a Taurus Judge some time back and wanted to load some BB's in a 2.5 inch hull.
The bushing chart from MEC suggest a #14 bushing using IMR-4227 (16.4). Trouble is, you can't get the wad down far enough with that much powder. I tried a #10 bushing and it will load but that's a pretty light load. Other thing is the BB's also get jammed up in the drop tube.

Anybody got a suggested load for my application?

You cant drop #BB through a tube.

Did you weigh your powder charge? MEC bushing chart is not even close with most powders.

Are you trying to drop a weight of #BB? (using a shot recipe) You will not fit 1/2oz of #BB in that hull, no way no how. You will have to find a recipe that is for #BB and load it up that way, stacking the shot in the hull. #BB in a .410 is like loading #00B in a 12 gauge, totally different ball game than loading standard shot.

All this is assuming you are using lead #BB, steel #BB would be a very bad idea.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Those "Specialty Loads" are best off by hand weighing your powder , then adding the wad and then the BB's.

It's not like you are going to load a case of them............

You will also need to test them and see if they "Fly" in your gun, first, before loading a lot.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby tommie d » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:54 pm

90% of my .410 reloading is for "Specialty Loads". Nickel plated shot, buck shot, ITX, slugs and so on. all power charges and shot charges are weighed out on my reloading scales. The reloader is only used for depriming/resizing and for folded crimps, everything else is done by hand. Yes it takes more time but I want uniform perfection.
tommie d
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 am

I would take the advice already given and make these loads up by hand, it will take a bit longer but your results will come out better.
The other thing is why are you using IMR 4227 to start with, there's other less bulky powders out there that will give you just as much bang for your buck and you might actually fit the BB's in the hull. I'd say use Lil Gun, just don't start out with max pressure load as the powder is a bit touchy.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

The thing I learned early on about Mec loaders is 1) the bushing chart is not accurate 2) your powder drop will not be consistant unless you have a consistant rythm going with the loader...........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes