Federal Black cloud loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Federal Black cloud loads

Postby MK10 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 pm

John Duck wrote:Funny, at least 20,000 hunters don't agree with Frankie! No wonder!

What is it exactly that they do not agree with?
MK10
hunter

Postby Fish Feeder » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

I really dont understand why any post concerning any new type of shot gets hyjacked. there are a few Smart a$$es on here that really make it difficult to take any thing seriously. he didnt ask if you knew that black cloud was better or worse than reg shot.. Every one looks for an edge or the next best thing. Steel shot is here to stay and i know Several Great wing shooters who prefer black cloud or Heavy metal. so if anyone looking for way to get less cripples is a poor shot then i guess im a poor shot also. Evereyone has opinion or is an expert Geesh! i havent had the trouble mentioned :hi: :no: rant finished
Fish Feeder
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Fish Feeder wrote:I really dont understand why any post concerning any new type of shot gets hyjacked. there are a few Smart a$$es on here that really make it difficult to take any thing seriously. he didnt ask if you knew that black cloud was better or worse than reg shot.. Every one looks for an edge or the next best thing. Steel shot is here to stay and i know Several Great wing shooters who prefer black cloud or Heavy metal. so if anyone looking for way to get less cripples is a poor shot then i guess im a poor shot also. Evereyone has opinion or is an expert Geesh! i havent had the trouble mentioned :hi: :no: rant finished

That is how forums work.... when people throw out their opinions on various topics. The ones who just sit and read all day while not posting anything (lurkers) do not help anything.

This isnt a Q&A website, its a duck hunting forum.
BBK
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 am

Fish Feeder wrote:I really dont understand why any post concerning any new type of shot gets hyjacked. there are a few Smart a$$es on here that really make it difficult to take any thing seriously. he didnt ask if you knew that black cloud was better or worse than reg shot.. Every one looks for an edge or the next best thing. Steel shot is here to stay and i know Several Great wing shooters who prefer black cloud or Heavy metal. so if anyone looking for way to get less cripples is a poor shot then i guess im a poor shot also. Evereyone has opinion or is an expert Geesh! i havent had the trouble mentioned :hi: :no: rant finished

Yes, they are lock step conformist and if not liberal, they reek of the same lock step, emotional mentality.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Ducks&Bucks07 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 am

Back the the original question. Black cloud has a hotter burning powder in it and it can expand the plastic just a bit when firing. If you are shooting a out the borrow pump like a browning BPS and are trying to pump to quickly it can get stuck. Never hear of or seen an issue with semi autos though. Blackcloud is the best shell on the market bar none for putting birds down
Ducks&Bucks07
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Ducks&Bucks07 wrote:Back the the original question. Black cloud has a hotter burning powder in it and it can expand the plastic just a bit when firing. If you are shooting a out the borrow pump like a browning BPS and are trying to pump to quickly it can get stuck. Never hear of or seen an issue with semi autos though. Blackcloud is the best shell on the market bar none for putting birds down

Um...NO! The only load that has a "HOTTER" powder blend would be the snow goose load, which is faster also in part due to the lighter payload. If it was a "hotter" powder, they would have a higher velocity which I can assure you-THEY DON"T.

Firstly-WHAT?! If you mean OVER-BORED, your still wrong as the shell still contracts back close to its original size and besides-the chamber is still the same size.

Total BS It doesn't matter how fast you try to pump the gun that makes BC strip off the extractor claw because I promise you there is no way in heck you can work the pump on a shotgun faster than a semiauto bolt works! Its because the rim is under sized and/or rounded or your extractor is worn.

Though I have and still on occassion run BC, are you serious?

If you're a Federal staffer I suggest you do some fact checking before you post this kind of stuff. If not, you need to read up on it anyways, because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

John Duck wrote:
MK10 wrote:
John Duck wrote:For the money, one of the very best shells out there today.

I certainly believe the traditional BC loads (i.e. comprised of round steel and flitestopper steel) are quite capable of taking ducks and geese at typical/common shooting distances (i.e. under 45 yards) when an appropriate pellet size has been chosen. Beyond this distance, I'm not confident in the loads ability to produce "consistent" clean kills.

This is perhaps where conventional loads such as Federal's Speed-Shok provide a broader coverage of shooting ranges and at a reduced price to the BC load.

I'm certainly not convinced that conventional loads provide consistent kills beyond 45 yards, in fact, have never seen that at all.
If the Speed-Shok is cheaper, then so be it. I use the Estate 1 3/8 load to good effect with standard pellets and probably cheaper than Speed -Shok.

I have never shot BLack Cloud so I cannot comment on the load. I can comment that that convention steel loads are very effect past 45 yards. If fact 2-3/4" / 1-1/8 oz loads are effect beyond 45 yards.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 pm

2 3/4" 1 1/8 ounce loads of...what? Hevi shot, Winny HD or depleted uranium spheres? Insert Lost's comment on TSS (sorry lost-had to. lol) Anything smaller than #2 steel gets iffy past 40-45 yards, especially in the generally slower velocity loads in the 2 3/4" shells, not to mention pattern density past those ranges...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby arey60 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 pm

My take on BC is that it is a good option for guys who don't want to pattern their loads and chokes. Numbers are good to 40 yds. Any further patterns degrade quickly. Kent, Speed Shock, Nitro-Steel really pattern better 40+ yds. At double the cost, BC not most economical option for those that hunt a lot.
arey60
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 pm

dsm16428 wrote:2 3/4" 1 1/8 ounce loads of...what? Hevi shot, Winny HD or depleted uranium spheres? Insert Lost's comment on TSS (sorry lost-had to. lol) Anything smaller than #2 steel gets iffy past 40-45 yards, especially in the generally slower velocity loads in the 2 3/4" shells, not to mention pattern density past those ranges...

You can kill snow geese with an 1-1/8 oz of 1s all day beyond 50 yards. Mallards with the same load in 2s certainly isn't a challenge at 50 and neither are big canadas with BB.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Shot a big drake mallard with 2.75 1 1/8 2's 1390fps the other day at about 45yds. Through the back and out the right breast. Plenty of penetration for a clean pass through, I bet you could make that shot at 55 and still touch vitals. (I was behind him so none in the head/neck, full body shot with 5 through the body I believe it was).

Regular STEEL. No BC BS XD OR HS... just BA steel.
BBK
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes