What brand ammo are you using?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

What brand ammo are you using?

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I have always used Federal ultra shock 3 1/2" 12 Ga. BUT, since they dont make it anymore, I cant use it, I tried different brands and found that they shot the best, but now I'm screwed, I cant even find the speed shock, so I am looking for another brand. Really dont like Remington, so what are you using?
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: Northeastern Ind.


Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:17 am

It doesn't matter what we like, it matters what your gun likes.

BTW, I bought enough Ultra-Shok over the last 3yrs in 3" #3 & #4 to last me the rest of my life and quite a bit of my daughter's. When you find something that works and they tell you that they are not going to make it much longer, you stock up.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby z51 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:24 am

Ultra Shock in 3 1/2" but I don't shoot that much of it. I like Remington Nitro Steel.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby gooseman1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:00 am

Try a box of Hevi Metal, it patterns very well in my autos, with the hevi -shot MR and ER chokes!
gooseman1
hunter
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby CWA » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:21 am

I will be using Spectra Shot this season. The owner of SS drove up to our festival in NW Arkansas from LA. and after meeting him and hearing from everyone else at the festival who had used SS last season, I decided to try it out.
I will let you know how It performed after season.
Tim


Tim Sallee
Founder/Christian Waterfowlers Association www.thecwa.org
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
User avatar
CWA
hunter
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Location: Northwest AR.

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby mjk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:17 am

This afternoon, I am taking the Gold 10 gauge out for the 1st time this year. Will be shooting either Federal Tungsten-Polymer #4s, or Hevi shot Duck #4s. I had found these on clearance a few years ago, and bought them for about 1/4 the normal price. Only reason I'm using them. Will see what happens.

As for the 12, I've been shooting Speed Shok #3s. These are about 4 years old, so it may be the cleaner burning shells. Not sure what I'll be using after this box is gone. Everyone says they are very dirty now. Perhaps back to Kent, or I'll contact sportingammo, and see what their 12g pricing is.
User avatar
mjk
hunter
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Minnecrapolis, MN

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby z51 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:33 am

You can't get much dirtier than Blue Dot and I've used it for years without a problem.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby mysticwolf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:07 am

orphanedcowboy wrote:It doesn't matter what we like, it matters what your gun likes.

BTW, I bought enough Ultra-Shok over the last 3yrs in 3" #3 & #4 to last me the rest of my life and quite a bit of my daughter's. When you find something that works and they tell you that they are not going to make it much longer, you stock up.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!

If I would have known they were going to stop making it, I would have done the same thing, didnt hear about it until AFTER they stopped :mad: I cant even find the speed shock, they say they still make it.
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: Northeastern Ind.

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:30 pm

for the money, Estate 3 inch 1 3/8 size 2. Does almost as good as Blind Side at almost half the price.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:34 pm

mysticwolf wrote:
orphanedcowboy wrote:It doesn't matter what we like, it matters what your gun likes.

BTW, I bought enough Ultra-Shok over the last 3yrs in 3" #3 & #4 to last me the rest of my life and quite a bit of my daughter's. When you find something that works and they tell you that they are not going to make it much longer, you stock up.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!

If I would have known they were going to stop making it, I would have done the same thing, didnt hear about it until AFTER they stopped :mad: I cant even find the speed shock, they say they still make it.


thats all i shoot is the speed shok, if they dont have what i need on the shelf usually i have to reach for a box of winchester shells and i hate em. :mad:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:01 pm

The scuttlebutt was the Speed-Shok was the replacement for several yrs.
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby War Wagon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I load my own but, If I was going to buy any ammo it would be.... FEDERAL... :bow: The best there is for the working man.
User avatar
War Wagon
hunter
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Green Bay Wisconsin

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby tilley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Kent Fasteel 3" 7/8 oz. 1550fps 3's 20 ga. kills everything clean from teal to Canada geese.
tilley
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:47 am

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 pm

tilley wrote:Kent Fasteel 3" 7/8 oz. 1550fps 3's 20 ga. kills everything clean from teal to Canada geese.

Since testers have PROVED that fast falls off in speed faster than normal speed loads, how does clean killing this happen? Do you use supream gas too?
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby z51 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 pm

John Duck wrote:
tilley wrote:Kent Fasteel 3" 7/8 oz. 1550fps 3's 20 ga. kills everything clean from teal to Canada geese.

Since testers have PROVED that fast falls off in speed faster than normal speed loads, how does clean killing this happen? Do you use supream gas too?


You are misquoting fact. Faster speed loads slow down faster, but slower loads never, ever catch up to the faster loads. That's why fast loads work. Simple physics, they penetrate better.

BTW, what is supream gas?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't believe that an inside ranges the little extra speed adds up to so much better penetration and that extra penetration would fall off ever so fast at outside ranges. I would suspect as many others that it is all fast and furious marketing hype because guess what folks, powder is cheaper than shot. I get great consistent kills outside 45 yards to 60 with regular speed shot as long as there is a lot of shot in the hull. Suprema gas is the new thing from Beretta, where you hook up your shotgun to your cars tail pipe and get increased fuel economy from all the hot air Beretta spews about less recoil. Fire a few rounds for effect and get increased horsepower too. See how marketing works. Just kidding of course.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby z51 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 am

Pattern density is a separate issue, but fact is fact, a faster pellet of equal make-up is still going faster at killing ranges and penetrates deeper.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

z51 wrote:Pattern density is a separate issue, but fact is fact, a faster pellet of equal make-up is still going faster at killing ranges and penetrates deeper.


Yes, Car makers making boring sedans but telling poor dad that he can be a Nascar driver with all the horsepower he will never use works. Your example and the car marketing don't pencil out in the real world. Fact is in that in most loads faster means LESS pellet density as to get the fast, you must reduce the payload. Works great for the ammo companies, they make more money for some cheap talk as powder cost less than shot, far as I know.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Again, there are several threads on here showing you are again wrong John.

Faster loads do penetrate farther and kill farther than "standard" loads in the 1400fps range. They do slow down faster, but they are always faster than the 1400fps. There is a specific range where 1400fps #2 shot is not lethal and 1550fps #2 shot still is. That is the point where the faster loads are better, since they are the only loads left that can kill the bird. But at that range you are most likely going to run out of pattern in both loads... but if you spend the time and money to perfect that 1550fps load and make it pattern good at the range 1400fps dies off, it will be a duck killer for those 3-5 yards!

Simply physics shows the faster load is better at a specific point in the flight path, and any idiot can figure that out... its the only shell left out of the two that is even lethal :lol3:

With the same testing you can get a 1400fps #1 shell to pattern at the same range as the 1550 #2 and have it still be lethal, but then you are not comparing two like shells.


So what I am saying is that speed really does not matter when they are that close together (1550vs 1400), but speed does extend your lethal rage for the individual shot in your pattern. Does not increase the pattern's range, just the shot inside it. Therefore, speed does have a specific place in waterfowling, and to think otherwise is just plain asinine.

You can shoot a 1 3/4 10 gauge load of #2's and a 20 gauge 7/8 1550fps of #2's. There will be a point where the 10 gauge is no longer lethal and the 20 gauge is. Doesn't matter how many pellets are in your shell if you shoot it past where the individual pellets are no longer lethal.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:14 pm

BBK, Again, I think I want to bring real world shooting success to the fore, as it is proved physics and exact science don't always make the great sports car driver or shooter. I think maybe you have a little to much personally involved in this somehow or ego (hense the stupid laughter ico) or whatever. Even if what you say is true about the physics of the faster shot, I already knew this in theory. Facts are that the average shooter is not that good, I'm not saying I'm that good, especially all the time. Even if faster shot gives any real penetration is it greatly offset by LACK of SHOTLOAD ie. Lack of Mass Even the most fast shot will give a thin pattern at longer ranges. I would imagine that a lot of this has to do with wad and modern wadding is increasing in effectiveness, hense the Blind Side wads and others. If a 10 gage wad was meant to hold the shotload together longer the mass of this flight coefficient would soon overpower a faster lighter load of shot. I think this was the thinking of the Germans and their use of the 20mm cannon in their fighters used In WWII instead of multi-machine guns. The machine guns were faster and higher velocity I believe, but the 20mm packed a lot of of punch because of retained energy and sheer size. Same thinking was found in the development of the 1928 Thompson Machine gun in the US. The .45 slow moving round was more effective than faster ammo, especially in penetration. Also why the 1911 .45 is more deadly than higher velocity smaller rounds. The problem with shotshells is that a lot of large pellets cannot be packed in a hull and that is the problem and the physics.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Never heard any facts or anything to back up your previous statement there. Just some more baloney, and rifle talk... and something about real world vs science? "real world" can't prove science wrong in relation to shotshell ballistics, science is science... facts. Only thing real world can prove is what science already tells us... The fact that within the range of both the 1400fps and 1550fps loads being lethal, they do the same darn thing... the 1400fps probably better because of more shot in the pattern. But again, that says nothing to support your previous and current claims that faster steel is a gimmick. There are people out there that are more skilled than you and I, who can make those shots where faster steel is lethal and your slow heavy payloads are not. Telling them their load is a gimmick is ignorant.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

BBK wrote:Never heard any facts or anything to back up your previous statement there. Just some more baloney, and rifle talk... and something about real world vs science? "real world" can't prove science wrong in relation to shotshell ballistics, science is science... facts. Only thing real world can prove is what science already tells us... The fact that within the range of both the 1400fps and 1550fps loads being lethal, they do the same darn thing... the 1400fps probably better because of more shot in the pattern. But again, that says nothing to support your previous and current claims that faster steel is a gimmick. There are people out there that are more skilled than you and I, who can make those shots where faster steel is lethal and your slow heavy payloads are not. Telling them their load is a gimmick is ignorant.


That is part of my point, I'm not concerned about a few more skilled people who are out there. I am interested in bird conservation and the "average" or sub-average shooter. I especially don't believe some who say they are skilled on net sites. There are so many variables in shotgunning that even the best shots would kill birds more completely with more shot, more cleanly, no matter who they are. Patterns are just too random and varied. Do you think even the most sedate boreing sedan for grandpa, like a Buick for example, that every year, no matter what, has to say it has more horsepower is a gimmick? It takes 1 HP per MPH to move an average car to speed. But yet, grandpa has 300 HP under the hood.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Remington.
I use Remington steel loads.

From 1275 to 1400fps MV. Any faster and I give up too much pattern density. Max effective range of a shotgun is determined by pattern density, 99.9% of the time...not by pellet velocity.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Kent, Hevi-metal, or Winchester drylok.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 pm

mudpack wrote:Remington.
I use Remington steel loads.

From 1275 to 1400fps MV. Any faster and I give up too much pattern density. Max effective range of a shotgun is determined by pattern density, 99.9% of the time...not by pellet velocity.


This is pretty correct. And we are finding the pattern density in a hull not more than 3 inch is being best met by smaller shot. I think! I am starting to believe for the average shooter no.2 does not have that density.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jim Atlas and 7 guests