What brand ammo are you using?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

What brand ammo are you using?

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:54 pm

I have always used Federal ultra shock 3 1/2" 12 Ga. BUT, since they dont make it anymore, I cant use it, I tried different brands and found that they shot the best, but now I'm screwed, I cant even find the speed shock, so I am looking for another brand. Really dont like Remington, so what are you using?
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Re: What brand ammo are you using?

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Best for the money in my book is Estate 1 3/8 3 inch or Win Expert 1 1/4.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:08 pm

how much a box for the estate and do you know how many fps?
Skeet123
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Remington.
mudpack
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Skeet123 wrote:how much a box for the estate and do you know how many fps?

In Alaska (prices are SKY High) I bought a case and it came to about 16 a box. It is 1375, which is plenty fast and the load packs a punch. Often a good shell with the proper drop dead killing amount of shot will sound off slapping the bird hard with the shotload, easy to hear in the right weather conditions. I hear that quite a bit with this load and Blind Side.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 am

I like the 1 3/8 inch load in 3 inch shell. Remington has been the only one to sell them and I believe they are 129 a case and they are 1300 fps.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 am

John Duck wrote:

In Alaska (prices are SKY High) I bought a case and it came to about 16 a box. It is 1375, which is plenty fast and the load packs a punch. Often a good shell with the proper drop dead killing amount of shot will sound off slapping the bird hard with the shotload, easy to hear in the right weather conditions. I hear that quite a bit with this load and Blind Side.

Why are prices in Alaska so much higher? I am really curious to know that. Is it because of the shipping
costs associated with getting stuff to Alaska? I am going with Hevimetal 3 inch shells. I love them.
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:00 am

I like to stick with Fed,Rem and Win.I tried Estate's 2 3/4" 4 buck for use on coyotes.Low price but never again.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 pm

rainingmallards wrote:
John Duck wrote:

Why are prices in Alaska so much higher? I am really curious to know that. Is it because of the shipping
costs associated with getting stuff to Alaska? I am going with Hevimetal 3 inch shells. I love them.

They ALWAYS use the excuse of shipping as the reason, yet, Costco and Wal-Mart ship cheap items like potatoes, So, I don't buy it as they state it. I have ordered bulk bullets from the lower 48, but have never considered shotshells and know of no one that does order them from lower 48, as we just know it must be more expensive and I'm sure if it wasn't I would hear of more hunters ordering them.

The reason for the newer designer loads like Blind Side, Black Cloud and whatever comes next is because a lot of average Joes cannot afford the heavy stuff. The idea is to design steel loads that are as effective as the heavy loads. I think they are gaining ground fast on the heavy load stuff. Also there is more money to be made in the designer stuff as the cost of the heavy metal is not a production cost.
John Duck
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:29 pm

So materials don't have cost? Seriously?
z51
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 pm

I use it all. on the shell shelf I have hevi-shot, remington, federal, winchester, and fiocchi. Sportsman for the rem, speed-shok and ultra-shok for the feds, dryloks and some old xpert for the winch, speed steel for the fiocchi. All of it is in different shot sizes and weights, I use whatever patterns best for what I am shooting.

Right now I'm shooting old super-x drylok 2's for medium/big ducks. I'll switch over to fiocchi 1's later when its just mallards. And I'll switch down to speed-shok 3's and 4's for hunting potholes.

My point is, shell brand does not matter to me at all. The ONLY shell I will not shoot is the xperts, only reason I still have them is I plan to shoot rabbits with them on public land. Besides those, I think any and every shell on the market is used with such good components now that they are plenty good of a shell for almost any hunting scenario. Don't worry about the brand, my suggestion is to start at the cheapest you can find and pattern it. If it patterns good, shoot it. If not, step up to the next highest price and try that one. You will save money shooting the cheap stuff and kill ducks doing so. There is nothing the ultra-shok does that a speed-shok or sportsman steel cannot, and they are (were) usually much cheaper.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm

John Duck wrote:

If you hear shot slapping your birds, the shot is not penetrating fully but stopping in the meat releasing its energy. Exactly what you DO NOT want for waterfowl hunting. But that is what xperts and blindside will do. You want your shot to go straight through the bird without stopping, impacting vitals on its way though. That is why hevi-shot and TSS is so great, it goes clean through the birds without releasing a ton of energy, hitting vitals on the way through and killing the bird dead.
BBK
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm starting to think you work for Heavy Shot? It's on the way out as designer steel is beating it to hell and will only get better.
John Duck
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

No, I'm just educated on the subject. I have spent the last three years researching it. This time of year I spend more time doing searches and reading published material than anything else when I am not in the blind.

And the fact is, hevi-shot is the worst of the worst when it comes to heavy non-tox. All the others (every single brand) is round and penetrates better. Less wasted energy.
BBK
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm

BBK wrote:No, I'm just educated on the subject. I have spent the last three years researching it. This time of year I spend more time doing searches and reading published material than anything else when I am not in the blind.

And the fact is, hevi-shot is the worst of the worst when it comes to heavy non-tox. All the others (every single brand) is round and penetrates better. Less wasted energy.

You must have lots of proof to show us then?
John Duck
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Proof of my side is all over the place, a simple 5 second search of this forum will reveal more than you probably care to read. There is however, no published research on your points other than for home defense. Odd isnt it? :grooving:
BBK
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 am

BBK wrote:If you hear shot slapping your birds, the shot is not penetrating fully but stopping in the meat releasing its energy.

When you hear shot hitting the bird, it's when the shot is hitting stiff flight feathers. I.e. you're hitting the wings. Shot that hits soft body feathers makes no sound at all.

If you need proof, the next time you are getting ready to clean a duck, take a BB out of your Red Ryder and shoot it at the body with a slingshot. Then, shoot it at the wing. You'll see/hear what I'm talking about. :huh:
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 am

Wait a minute Mudpack , Airgun BB's go clear through birds in my reloads ! And you're right , they do make a really good
sound ( twice ) , once when the bird is hit and the other is when the bird hits the ground . :thumbsup: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

Shooting Hevi metal 3" #3 and 4's at ducks this year.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby John Duck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm

BBK wrote:Proof of my side is all over the place, a simple 5 second search of this forum will reveal more than you probably care to read. There is however, no published research on your points other than for home defense. Odd isnt it? :grooving:

Not odd at all, reveal what by who? You?
John Duck
hunter

Postby brownduck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:35 pm

costs associated with getting stuff to Alaska?

All ammo going to Alaska has to be shipped by ground (but not through Canada), which means a barge. It takes forever to get here, and they jack the price up due to the shipping (an possibly the demand).

In AK, I have had good luck with 3" blue box Federals. I shoot 2s or 3s, and have had good luck with it. I have not noticed an appreciable difference between it and more expensive loads, such as Black Cloud or Hypersonic. Seems like if I hit the bird, it drops. I just need to stop missing them!
brownduck
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes