Full or Modified

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Full or Modified

Postby portahunter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm

I normally shoot a modified choke in my shotgun but this weekend I'm going to be goose hunting. I went last weekend and I'd say 75% of the shots were 45 to 60 yds on snows and the other 25% of the shots were on birds closer than 40 yds. Since the majority of my shots are probably going to be passing shots at 40yds+ I was wondering whether a full choke would be better than that modified I've been using.
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Southeast Texas

Remove Advertisements


Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Mod...and some BB's :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
User avatar
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:53 am
Location: Horn Lake,Mississippi

Postby fowlaholic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Ducksbeus wrote:Mod...and some BB's :yes: :yes: :yes:
i agree full seems to blow patterns with steel
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
User avatar
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:17 pm
Location: greenwood, indiana

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Depends. What shotgun and load will you be using?
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 pm

porta, try ur mod and see how it works. full chokes are very unpredictable with steel. they almost always suck. for snows at 60-75 yards, id use some good B's with a mod, or BB's with a skeet2. or there are some extended chokes that work well for steel in a full. if ur not gonna be much further than 60 yards, and you wont have too much wind, use ur mod with some high speed 1's. at 50+ yards, a mod choke and 1's should produce a few doubles...... Image
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: stoneboro, PA

Postby portahunter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I used my modified last weekend with 3 1/2 inch Kent BB's. I ended up with 1 goose. I fired 13 rounds at geese that where no further than 65 yds max. I just looking for something to help me solve this missing problem that I'm having.
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Southeast Texas

Postby Ned S » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:32 pm

You'll never know until you pattern. My experience is I have to go to a Terror choke for 50-60 yds then I have to do my pattern homework. Ned S the young 78 yr old whose buddies limited out on geese this eve again.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
Posts: 8760
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:16 pm
Location: Amarillo, Tx

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:58 pm

Cylinder choke works wonders!!!!!!!!!!!
Membership permanently suspended
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests