Stripper Chokes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Stripper Chokes

Postby Ned S » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 am

I have a Wrangler, Rhino and Patternmaster. They all will catch a petal of the RSI shotcup and flip the shot/shotcup 180 degrees spilling about 75% of the shot with remaining shot/shotcup going backwards down the range into my pattern board. This happens about 33% of the time. Get the truth about stripper chokes from George Trulock. He only sells them because of hunter demand. Non ported shotcups work just fine. Have you noticed the Terror chokes are not ported. Stiffer shotcups such as the MM work fine in the stripper chokes. Ned S who has 61 chokes, maybe more now.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Sounds like you have tried a lot of choke and steel loads. I would like to pick your brain a little. What do you find you like the best for load and choke for ducks and geese particularly in the RSI loads?

I am curious because I am shooting RSI loads in 2 3/4" #4 for ducks and have just started messing around with 3" rem hulls for longer range goose, #1 and BB, and duck loads, #3. I shoot Trulock extended chokes in my three main duck and goose guns. It sounds like you have some background with the Trulocks and RSI so you could be a good source for some advice before I start my winter reloading and testing.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I shot RSI 107 with 38 grs STEEL at 1650 fps exclusively. At this velocity it ran 12,800 psi. After the blue box w209 primers came out this load became very inconsistant. I have shot a lot of RSI 65 with 37 grs of STEEL and #3 steel shot. I also shot a lot of Alliants 7/8 oz load with the RSI shotcup with 3's, 1's and BB's. This load worked well on Lessers using the BB's. Since Don Parker came out with 7/8 oz loads I shoot mostly these recipes. His load #1 in the GM hull runs 1724 fps in my 935 vs published 1623 fps. I have dropped to steel 4's in this load. Also use steel 6's for dove and B's for Lessers. I also shoot recipes 5, 8, 14, & 18. For 1oz I shoot #24 with 3's. These use GM, Fioochi, Fed paper bassewadd (Esstates), STS or equiv, and Cheddite.
I like RSI 75 and 131 with BB's for geese subbing the Cheddite primer. I also shoot RSI 73 and 77. With 77 I use the Fed 209A primer. I also Like RSI 88 with 1's or if you can't hold this load together try BB/! duplexed. Good luck, Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:31 pm

The Trulock chokes are great chokes. For ducks I would use the light mod and for geese a mod or impmod. You'll just have to do some pattern work. i would go with steel 3's on ducks and BB's for geese. Steel 4's work well on the smaller ducks. 3's at 1650 fps go clear thru mallards.`Good luck, Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I will look them up and compare to the ones I have been shooting and give them a try.

What do you find your self shooting for chokes most of the time? I know it all depends, but it sounds like you have some experience with the different kind so it would be interesting to see what you have found.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Using my Hastings Barrels/1100 I shoot the light Mod on ducks and the Mod on Geese and the Terror on spooky snows. Yes I have a Terrors for my Hastings barrels. Using my 935 I use the IC choke on ducks shooting 7/8 oz of 4's and 3's at 1724 fps. I use the Mod for geese and Terror for Snows with the 935. For 50-60 yd shooting I use Terror chokes. Ned S who has 61 chokes.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes