Cut shells?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Cut shells?

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Cant load any videos to explain the concept so i thought id ask. What is a cut shell? A guy i knows cousin shot a dead tree with one and it blew a pretty nice hole in the thing.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: Cut shells?

Postby staticarc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:38 pm

im not sure if your referring to the same thing or not, but i know some old school deer poachers that would rabbit hunt and keep a "cut shell" just incase they had a close shot on a deer. im pretty sure its just a high brass load where the plastic shell has been cut with a knife to where there is only a small amount of plastic connecting the wad together. when placed into the chamber and shot, the intact part of the wad and all the enclosed pellets come out of the barrel like a slug.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Its used by hillbilly poachers as a way to hunt deer with birdshot and pass a gamewarden inspection.

They take a shotshell and carefully cut around the hull only leaving a tiny bit of hull intact to hold it together. When fired the hull splits and acts as a case holding the shot and wad together as a slug.

Lots of videos on youtube on cut shells.
BBK
hunter

Postby jhook » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Ya, they work. We used to mess with them many moons ago, and they do indeed pack a whallop. You're just cutting the shell most of the way through just at the bottom of the wad, which sends the whole crap down the barrel. The results are truly amazing... and damned unsafe now that I know better!
jhook
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 pm

haha yea it sounds like a backwoods idea.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 am

Uhhhm what??

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:haha yea it sounds like a backwoods idea.

It's called a "ringed shell" yes it works, don't try it with steel.
z51
hunter

Postby hawglips » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:29 am

The cut part of the hull goes out the barrel with the wad and its payload. Probably not a good thing to do.
hawglips
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 am

hawglips wrote:The cut part of the hull goes out the barrel with the wad and its payload. Probably not a good thing to do.

At least not with anything tighter than CYL choke............... even then it's still not a good thing to do!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes