Eviron brand Hevi-shot problem...

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Eviron brand Hevi-shot problem...

Postby santeerangerman » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 am

While in Arkansas this past week, I tried some of the eviron brand hevi shot in my 20 ga Benelli. The loads were the 3" 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot.
I used 3 loads, and every time the cases split down the side. Nearly the whole length of the case. I switched back to my Remington 1 1/8 oz loads, and had no problems. I also shot some Estate steel loads, and some Kent faststtel loads with no problems.

Anyone else had any problems like this with the Environ brand shells?
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:48 am

I've shot a few cases of Hevi Shot 20 with no problems at all.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:40 am

you sure you got a 20 gauge??????? :toofunny:

the only reason a hull would split is from being stretched out too far. maybe ur chamber is a good bit oversize? was it the plastic or the brass or both? was it split or possibly cut? a single pellet outside the wad can run a zipper down the hull (and down the barrel).
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby santeerangerman » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:31 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:you sure you got a 20 gauge??????? :toofunny:

the only reason a hull would split is from being stretched out too far. maybe ur chamber is a good bit oversize? was it the plastic or the brass or both? was it split or possibly cut? a single pellet outside the wad can run a zipper down the hull (and down the barrel).

Thanks! The pellet outside the wad makes the most sense. I'm fairly confident it's not a chamber problem, as this was the only shells that did this. The plastic split nearly 3/4 of the way down on every one of these I tried, but I didn't have a problem with other brands.
santeerangerman
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes