Hypersonics out of aftermarket chokes?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Hypersonics out of aftermarket chokes?

Postby Stubby_319 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:19 am

I shoot Hypersonic 3'' 2 shot and BB out of my SBEII i like my modified factory choke but i think i can get a tighter patter with after market chokes. I have read that you shouldnt shoot such a fast load out of an after market choke. can anyone shed some light on this subject? also id like to get a nice trap choke for the same gun any suggestions?
If you are not sure, don't shoot. Stay safe my friends.
Stubby_319
hunter

Re: Hypersonics out of aftermarket chokes?

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

Shouldn't effect an after market choke any more that a factory choke. An after market choke gives you more gradual constriction. If the manufacturer doesn't say anything then it shouldn't be a problem. That being said I got better patterns with the cheap Winchester bb loads than the hypersonic and after using a couple hypersonics you couldnt pay me to use them again

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:16 am

In my opinion, you shouldn't be shooting those loads out of your SBE2! Your gun was built to CIP specifications. Those specs clearly limit the muzzle velocity in guns approved for high performance steel loads to 1400fps at 2.5 meters from the muzzle (about 1550fps at 3 feet).

I'm not quite sure how that requirement applies to the gun when an after market choke tube is used. You should check with the tube manufacturers for their recommendations.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am

Why wear out an expensive gun for very little gain. The typical steel rated choke is designed for up to @ 1550 fps loads plus you are placing stress on the guns operating system. Forget the Macho hype and let your choke constriction, not raw MV, do the work.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes