Choke for Browning Gold 10

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby vandonsj » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am

After reading many posts, it appears that the Terror .720 is the choke to get. Since it is no longer available and I cannot find a used one to buy anywhere, I need to find something else. Right now I'm between the Briley's .745 and the Terror .735 because they seem to be popular as well. But I can't seem to find any pictures of these patterns online. Can someone please help me out and save me some time and money?

I'm not looking to be a skybuster, but I would like to take advantage of this new 10 gauge and reach out to 50-60+ yards.
vandonsj
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am


Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby Rob MacK » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Sorry but I don't have any pics of the Briely patterns I did. I can tell you there were about 8-12 pellets less with the Briely LF than the Terror BBB loads. With T the Briely was better. This was at the 50 yard mark.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am
Location: ON,Canada

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby grnhd » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm

I'll sell you my 720 for the right price :grooving:
I've shot a Briley 735 and I have a Terror 735 and I don't remember there being that much difference in the patterns. But to be honest once I got the 720 and saw what it did with the same load,I stopped tinkering with the 735. I have no experience with the Briley 745.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am
Location: suwanee,ky

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby gooseman1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

U may want to check out the New Muller 10 bore Chokes!! I'm hearing some great things about these as well!!! Do they pattern as well as a Terror??? Don't know- but I will find out soon!
gooseman1
hunter
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby grnhd » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am

grnhd wrote:I'll sell you my 720 for the right price :grooving: .


That was an attempt at humor,that everything is for sale for the right price. Please,no more PM's asking about the choke its not for sale :hi:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am
Location: suwanee,ky

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby 3200 man » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:00 am

Come-on Tommy , don't you have some wiggle-room there on that price ? Guys can buy another gun for what you're asking !

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :thumbsup: :huh:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby UmatillaJeff » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Look... I have patterned lots of 10ga guns and lots of Browning Golds. Before you go crazy and buy a bunch of chokes just shoot the modified choke that came with the gun at 60 yards and get a percentage. That choke will shoot T's as good as anything I have seen posted on this website and you don't have to worry about budging a choke.

If you are not going to pattern the gun, then just buy a terror choke and tell us all how wonderful it is. Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby grnhd » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm

I pattered my factory Mod choke in my Gold 10 with 1's, BB and BBB and it SUCKED. A briley 735 helpd a lot but once I got the Terror 720 it was like the light shined down from heavens and blessed my gun! There is a reason guys sing the praises of the Terror tubes....they work.

3200....if I keep saying how good these Terror tubes are maybe I'll get an offer that is to good to pass up :lol3:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am
Location: suwanee,ky

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby UmatillaJeff » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 pm

It sucked!

These are the kind of answers you get.

Not anything about how many pellets.
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby grnhd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 am

UmatillaJeff wrote:It sucked!

These are the kind of answers you get.

Not anything about how many pellets.


I don't remember how many pellets I put in the circle, only that it was unacceptable and it was time to try something else. I probably didn't write any of them down since they were bad,why would I, but I'll look in my notes and see if I wrote any of them down.
I've patterned enough loads that I know a "it sucks" pattern when I see it :lol3:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am
Location: suwanee,ky

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby vandonsj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:Look... I have patterned lots of 10ga guns and lots of Browning Golds. Before you go crazy and buy a bunch of chokes just shoot the modified choke that came with the gun at 60 yards and get a percentage. That choke will shoot T's as good as anything I have seen posted on this website and you don't have to worry about budging a choke.

If you are not going to pattern the gun, then just buy a terror choke and tell us all how wonderful it is. Jeff



I should mention that I just recently accquired my Gold, it was used and only came with an IC factory choke. I've only patterned it with T shot so far, as that is what the other guys I hunt with that shoot 10 gauges swear by, but I was not impressed with the IC at 50 yards. Thanks for your replies.
vandonsj
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Yea.. You wouldn't be impressed with T's in an IC choke. You sound like the exception to the rule around here. Most of these guys buy a 10ga and then they shoot 12ga shells in them. Your 10ga only gives you an edge with big pellets. These guys who shoot small shot in a 10ga thinking they are giving themselves some sort of advantage are just deluding themselves.

Your friends are right! Shoot T's through that factory modified choke and let us know what you get, It should give you between 50 and 60 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 60 yards.

It's hard to get decent advice about a 10ga around here with all the guys who shoot small shot and pattern them at 40 yards.

There is no correlation between a 40 yard pattern and a 60 yard pattern. A good 60 yard pattern will be a great 40 yard pattern but the same can not be said of the other way around. A steel pattern goes to crap FAST with big pellets. What may grind a bird at 50 will just wound at 60.

At some point you also need to be a gun pointer. You won't have a nice full pattern as the size shot that kills at 60 yards is big pellets and the patterns never look as good as you would like, but if you are a gun pointer, they will do. Good luck and if you have any issues arise feel free to PM me. Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 am

UmatillaJeff wrote:Yea.. You wouldn't be impressed with T's in an IC choke. You sound like the exception to the rule around here. Most of these guys buy a 10ga and then they shoot 12ga shells in them. Your 10ga only gives you an edge with big pellets. These guys who shoot small shot in a 10ga thinking they are giving themselves some sort of advantage are just deluding themselves.

Your friends are right! Shoot T's through that factory modified choke and let us know what you get, It should give you between 50 and 60 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 60 yards.

It's hard to get decent advice about a 10ga around here with all the guys who shoot small shot and pattern them at 40 yards.

There is no correlation between a 40 yard pattern and a 60 yard pattern. A good 60 yard pattern will be a great 40 yard pattern but the same can not be said of the other way around. A steel pattern goes to crap FAST with big pellets. What may grind a bird at 50 will just wound at 60.

At some point you also need to be a gun pointer. You won't have a nice full pattern as the size shot that kills at 60 yards is big pellets and the patterns never look as good as you would like, but if you are a gun pointer, they will do. Good luck and if you have any issues arise feel free to PM me. Jeff



jeff,

What is a gun pointer? just wondering never herd that before but i think i know what you mean please go further with that and explain this so others will have better understanding....
goosepit2007
hunter
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby vandonsj » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:09 am

BigChunter wrote:
vandonsj wrote:
UmatillaJeff wrote:Look... I have patterned lots of 10ga guns and lots of Browning Golds. Before you go crazy and buy a bunch of chokes just shoot the modified choke that came with the gun at 60 yards and get a percentage. That choke will shoot T's as good as anything I have seen posted on this website and you don't have to worry about budging a choke.

If you are not going to pattern the gun, then just buy a terror choke and tell us all how wonderful it is. Jeff



I should mention that I just recently accquired my Gold, it was used and only came with an IC factory choke. I've only patterned it with T shot so far, as that is what the other guys I hunt with that shoot 10 gauges swear by, but I was not impressed with the IC at 50 yards. Thanks for your replies.

Is it marked ic lead/mod steel?


Yes, IC lead/mod steel
vandonsj
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

You posted an interest in pattern pics with the 10ga. I have several, namely 50 yard patterns with 1 1/2oz of Ts. I was able to get patterns from 87% to 93% at this distance with my handload of Ts and a Briley .745. I can ONLY email these pics.

Chris
tengaokie@aol.com
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Choke for Browning Gold 10

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 pm

gun pointer- That is just slang for you need to know how to shoot. a 10ga isn't magic! Long range shooting isn't something that you just go out and do. This is why so many guys buy a 10ga and then wind up saying.... " Oh Yea.. I used to shoot a 10ga" I couldn't kill ducks any farther with it then I did my 12ga gun!"

I have heard this so many times it's like a broken record. They don't practice at distance and they shoot 12ga loads in a 10ga gun and then they wonder why they can't kill them any farther then they did with a 12ga.

1's, 2's and BB's will all kill to the max range of the pellets energy in a 12ga gun. IN other words... The 12ga gun will have enough pattern density to kill to the max range of the pellets energy.

When a guy shoots 2's in a 10ga he is shooting 12ga ammo in a 10ga as he will not be able to kill one yard further then he can with a 12ga gun and that size pellet.

Again.. The 12ga has all the pellets needed to kill to the max range of the smaller pellets effective range.

Between the inability to shoot at longer ranges and poor decisions when it comes to shot size....

You wind up with guys that say... I couldn't kill them any farther with my 10 then I did with my 12ga.

That the truth Ruth! Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm


Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AWall3322 and 8 guests